XAVIER LAUNCHING $25 MILLION OVERHAUL OF THE CINTAS CENTER

The home for Big East hoops

Re: XAVIER LAUNCHING $25 MILLION OVERHAUL OF THE CINTAS CENT

Postby SATO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:18 pm

bmorex wrote:
PMThor wrote:I think you are making too much out of that end. If you went and completed the arena into a four sided, enclosed floor it would drastically undercut the other uses of the building. There are conference centers, meeting rooms, duff, offices and other rooms that would have to be sacrificed in order to complete the bowl. Those rooms are rented out on a rather regular basis, and are revenue generators that go beyond Cintas just being an arena. On top of that, if the bowl was completed, it would raise the capacity by about 20% (a guess, but let's go with that). Cintas doesn't need, nor want, to add to get over 12,000. I quote from the recent press release "I'd much rather have a smaller arena with a great atmosphere," Christopher says, "than a huge impersonal facility. We don't want to weaken that home-court advantage."

I'm excited to see how the Joseph Club looks when they make it open air to the arena and I also thought that they were looking to do the same thing with the Duff center too. That will look pretty slick, IMO.

Thank you...I was looking for that quote.

There is nothing that can be done now to complete the oval, I understand that. I just think it is good to occasionally look back on good and bad decisions so as not to repeat mistakes. The conf centers, duff etc could all have been adjoined to Cintas without slicing off the end of the arena. Anyone who does not see this point has blinders on. Whoever approved the original design plan, if they are still around, must be questioned on whatever future role they have in making strategic decisions for the University. Thats all, I am a devoted fan, but also a stakeholder and want to make sure mistakes are not repeated.
SATO

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:41 pm

SATO wrote:
bmorex wrote:
PMThor wrote:I think you are making too much out of that end. If you went and completed the arena into a four sided, enclosed floor it would drastically undercut the other uses of the building. There are conference centers, meeting rooms, duff, offices and other rooms that would have to be sacrificed in order to complete the bowl. Those rooms are rented out on a rather regular basis, and are revenue generators that go beyond Cintas just being an arena. On top of that, if the bowl was completed, it would raise the capacity by about 20% (a guess, but let's go with that). Cintas doesn't need, nor want, to add to get over 12,000. I quote from the recent press release "I'd much rather have a smaller arena with a great atmosphere," Christopher says, "than a huge impersonal facility. We don't want to weaken that home-court advantage."

I'm excited to see how the Joseph Club looks when they make it open air to the arena and I also thought that they were looking to do the same thing with the Duff center too. That will look pretty slick, IMO.

Thank you...I was looking for that quote.

There is nothing that can be done now to complete the oval, I understand that. I just think it is good to occasionally look back on good and bad decisions so as not to repeat mistakes. The conf centers, duff etc could all have been adjoined to Cintas without slicing off the end of the arena. Anyone who does not see this point has blinders on. Whoever approved the original design plan, if they are still around, must be questioned on whatever future role they have in making strategic decisions for the University. Thats all, I am a devoted fan, but also a stakeholder and want to make sure mistakes are not repeated.

Two people, primarily. Some guy named Father James Hoff, SJ. Given your utter lack of knowledge about all this I feel compelled to inform you that he is no longer with us, though, he was so "bad" for Xavier that they named the $100 million Hoff Quad complex after him. The Cintas Center literally was his vision. Then there's this other guy who was big in the decision making process who happens to still be with us. He would be Robert J. Kohlhepp. He had a little to do with it being built and named the Cintas Center - I assume you own some Google, so I'll let you look him up for yourself, rather than having you do another info request, like the one you made for Ohio Stadium. Hey, how about that: he's the one coughing up much of the $25 million that's now about to go into the place. Oh, and he just stepped off as Chair of the Xavier BoT. A dumb guy he is not.

I just happened to come upon the following - don't know the guy and have never seen this before: http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/cintas-center-s835/.

You're the one with blinders on. Sorry.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby XtoDC » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:52 pm

I do not think Xavier would routinely sell out a 12,000 + seat arena, and they definitely did not have the fan base to do so when Cintas was built. Arenas don't work like Field of Dreams, where if you build it they will come. They put the capacity at the level that was going to be consistently supported.
XtoDC

Postby SATO » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:27 pm

XtoDC wrote:I do not think Xavier would routinely sell out a 12,000 + seat arena, and they definitely did not have the fan base to do so when Cintas was built. Arenas don't work like Field of Dreams, where if you build it they will come. They put the capacity at the level that was going to be consistently supported.

Capacity is not the issue here, it is the design of the seating and viewing arrangements. What was the problem initially building a 10000 seat oval instead of a 10000 seat horseshoe ?
SATO

Postby muskienick » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:31 pm

SATO wrote:
XtoDC wrote:I do not think Xavier would routinely sell out a 12,000 + seat arena, and they definitely did not have the fan base to do so when Cintas was built. Arenas don't work like Field of Dreams, where if you build it they will come. They put the capacity at the level that was going to be consistently supported.

Capacity is not the issue here, it is the design of the seating and viewing arrangements. What was the problem initially building a 10000 seat oval instead of a 10000 seat horseshoe ?

There was no "problem" associated with the final decision about the shape of the Cintas. It was built to accommodate all the needs that were anticipated and it has been extremely successful at meeting those needs. The $25,000,000 campaign is a wonderful succession to the original design that will further enhance the experience of fans and other users of the facility. Why continually harp on something that you think should have been done initially and that you now should realize can't be done now at $25,000,000 or just about any other level without starting over.

That, and 99.9% of us are perfectly happy with the Cintas as it is and as it will be in the foreseeable future!
muskienick

Postby Xudash » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:23 am

admin,

Thanks for busting Sato out into the open as a Dayton troll:

SATO wrote:
I am new to this board as a long time XU fan. It seems to be a good source of news about the *teams* involved. However one of the first things I noticed was this very very long thread about the Fox network. To me this is a really weird obsession. The posters here are "rooting" for a huge network to get higher ratings? These posters also now actively watch
sports like golf and cage fighting and nascar and soccer just because it is on the Fox network, like if they watch these obscure sports offerings they
are doing their part to uplift this hugely profitable network. I have one question, what drives this obsession? When these posters watch a soccer match that they in the past would not have ever followed, do they get some satisfaction out of that activity?

Confirmed Dayton troll also posting under the name:

murphy 41
tsmithohio1234 38
Tsmithohio123 7
tsmithoiho12 5
francis 3
tsmithohio1

I should have known he was a troll when he failed to understand that Father Hoff was behind the creation of the facility. This is the same guy who tried spreading false rumors of financial issues at Xavier.

At any rate, though nothing should surprise anyone on Internet messageboards, especially sports fan forums, one of the epic fails has to be when some idiot pretends to be a fan of another team and gets busted while doing so. First and foremost, it indicates a clear obsession on the part of this UD fan with Xavier; the jealousy clearly runs deep. Then he takes a shot at Big East fans about television viewing habits. What a use of one's time.

It's funny that he adopted a handle that is the last name of one of the greatest kids and players who ever played for Xavier: Romain Sato. Sato played high school basketball at Dayton Christian High School while living in Moraine, Ohio. UD wanted him badly, but he wisely chose to go to X. He graduated from Xavier in 2004, having majored in French. A great college basketball career at X landed him a second round NBA selection, but he was waived and went on to build a successful European hoops career.

Beyond that, the troll stimulates conversation about the Cintas Center that is positive, with no one buying into his stupid comments about the arena's construction. I guess if you're going to pretend to be someone else to make a point, the lesson learned is to come at it with some ammunition.

I understand that UD fans are jealous of the Cintas Center. I would be too if I were stuck having to live with a facility that was built in 1969 and looks it. The place is begging for orange shag carpeting and a Laugh-In revival show. Old. 60's architecture old, and it shows. At least the shag carpeting covers up when the raw sewage from the river overflows into the place, but that's another topic.

A UD fan gets blown up pretending to be a Xavier fan and adds to UD's reputation around here. Job well done.
Last edited by Xudash on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby bmorex » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Well that makes more sense.
bmorex

Postby BEX » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:19 am

Apparently, it's tough on the Visitors:

http://rpiratings.com/
BEX

Previous