Iowa State's List of Candidates - Mack, Miller, Altman...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:00 am

If I were I Xavier fan, I would not be worried about Chris Mack bolting to Iowa State. Ditto for the Flyer Faithful and Archie Miller.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /28131227/

Who's next? Our list of Iowa State coaching candidates - Des Moines Register - June 2, 2015

OBVIOUS CANDIDATES:

JEFF HORNACEK, Phoenix Suns coach, Age: 52

T.J. OTZELBERGER, Iowa State assistant, Age: 37

DANA ALTMAN, Oregon head coach, Age: 56

FRAN FRASCHILLA, ESPN college basketball analyst, Age: 56

STEVE PROHM, Murray State, Age: 40

BRYCE DREW, Valparaiso head coach, Age: 40

ARCHIE MILLER, Dayton, Age: 36

CHRIS MACK, Xavier head coach, Age: 45

Upside: He owns a place at the Big East Conference's big-boy table after amassing a sparking 134-71 record in six seasons. He has three Sweet 16s to his credit with the Musketeers. Xavier averaged 73.3 points last season on an average of three fewer possession a game than Iowa State.

Downside: Would Cyclone brass be wasting time on a coach some say is someday destined for Ohio State? He's already coaching at his alma mater and stayed at Xavier amid significant interest by California last year.

Contract status: He's signed through the 2021 season.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Iowa State's List of Candidates - Mack, Miller, Altman..

Postby Xudash » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Chris Mack isn't leaving Xavier for most likely a long time, and certainly not for Iowa State.

I wonder who these "some" are who say he's destined for Ohio State.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby BEX » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:55 pm

If Matta left Ohoho State, Miller would be the obvious choice.
BEX

Postby SCS » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Is Iowa State a better job than Oregon?
SCS

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:53 am

SCS wrote:Is Iowa State a better job than Oregon?

I wouldn't be surprised if Altman is interested. Despite his success, he's been dogged with issues regarding the criminal/athletes he's brought in. Plus, he's a Midwestern guy and doesn't like the limelight. Money isn't a big issue with him, but competitiveness is and you can win at ISU. I think Hornacek is their first pick, but Altman would be excellent there.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby TBC Alum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote: he's been dogged with issues regarding the criminal/athletes he's brought in.

And ISU has not??? :shock: If memory serves, 4 ISU roster spots from last year had charges pending in April, 2 for felonies.
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:10 am

TBC Alum wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote: he's been dogged with issues regarding the criminal/athletes he's brought in.

And ISU has not??? :shock: If memory serves, 4 ISU roster spots from last year had charges pending in April, 2 for felonies.

My point was that a lot of people at Oregon are ready to see him go, judging from the protests, etc. and that might be why DA is looking elsewhere.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby cu blujs » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:28 am

Dana is under contract through 2020 at almost $2MM per year with a buyout capped at $8 million. He isn't going to give that up at Oregon and the Pac 12 to go to Ames, Iowa - unless they guaranty him a couple million a year for about 6 - 10 years. I don't see ISU doing that for Dana. I like him and think he is a terrific coach. But, IMO he needs to be at Oregon, where the university itself and top facilities are as much a recruiting tool as the coach. I think he is done trying to attract the kind of player needed to succeed on a national level to a Midwestern university, unless Oregon shows him the door before he is ready to retire. He isn't a good enough recruiter to pull it off in Iowa, in my opinion.
cu blujs

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Further to Post # 1 above, Iowa State apparently believes that Chris Mack, Archie Miller, and Dana Altman would not be interested.

Des Moines Register - June 5, 2015: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /28561555/

Hoiberg doesn't know who will be hired. He's likely heard that AD and president are interviewing candidates this weekend in Atlanta — [Iowa State assistant coach] T.J.Otzelberger, Murray State's Steve Prohm, Stephen F. Austin's Brad Underwood, and Valparaiso's Bryce Drew, according to speculation.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Return to Big East basketball message board