Richmond IN, Dayton OUT

The home for Big East hoops

Richmond IN, Dayton OUT

Postby Scoop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I figured I would register and post. I have a trusted 'source' inside the Villanova athletic department that said the ESPN reports aren't entirely accurate, and were likely leaked by someone hoping to manipulate the process. Xavier and Butler are definitely IN next year b/c they were the only 2 schools where there was a consensus. Despite what is being reported, Creighton and RICHMOND are likely next in line, in part b/c of a recent compromise between the eastern and western C7 schools. The last spot is undecided, but Fox has been pushing for SLU, which would leave Dayton out of the mix.
Scoop

Richmond IN, Dayton OUT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Richmond IN, Dayton OUT

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Scoop wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I figured I would register and post. I have a trusted 'source' inside the Villanova athletic department that said the ESPN reports aren't entirely accurate, and were likely leaked by someone hoping to manipulate the process. Xavier and Butler are definitely IN next year b/c they were the only 2 schools where there was a consensus. Despite what is being reported, Creighton and RICHMOND are likely next in line, in part b/c of a recent compromise between the eastern and western C7 schools. The last spot is undecided, but Fox has been pushing for SLU, which would leave Dayton out of the mix.

Makes sense Fox has a strong STL presence also kinda shocked that no one wants us- oh well just have to win in the tourney and become the sexy pick.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:35 pm

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/col ... rence.html

The epicenter of the A-10 says Dayton in Big East Richmond stays in A-Ten... take it for what its worth...
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 pm

BillEsq wrote:
Scoop wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I figured I would register and post. I have a trusted 'source' inside the Villanova athletic department that said the ESPN reports aren't entirely accurate, and were likely leaked by someone hoping to manipulate the process. Xavier and Butler are definitely IN next year b/c they were the only 2 schools where there was a consensus. Despite what is being reported, Creighton and RICHMOND are likely next in line, in part b/c of a recent compromise between the eastern and western C7 schools. The last spot is undecided, but Fox has been pushing for SLU, which would leave Dayton out of the mix.

Makes sense Fox has a strong STL presence also kinda shocked that no one wants us- oh well just have to win in the tourney and become the sexy pick.

I don't think no one wants you, you just weren't first on the list of the two sides that emerged for 10th spot. For all we know you could have been the first pick of DePaul and second of Marquette, but somebody has more clout than the other, at the moment.
yorost

Postby BostonFriar11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:42 pm

I'd prefer both. Don't want anyone out in the cold.
Providence 2011 - Long Live Huxley 299!
BostonFriar11

Postby classof29 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 pm

BostonFriar11 wrote:I'd prefer both. Don't want anyone out in the cold.

both (with everyone else) would mean 13 teams. Unless ND joins for 14, but I think 10-12 is a better conference.
Providence College
classof29

Postby BostonFriar11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55 pm

True. In all honesty I'm going to watch the Maryland-ACC legal battle very closely. If Maryland gets out with a minimal hit, the Big 10 stands to begin poaching at will. We could end up with an ACC refugee and start looking for 14. Someone had mentioned Wake Forest at one point, though I don't believe they fit the mold we are currently looking for.

Another question that asks itself: What will our exit fees look like? I hate to bring that ugly question up, but I'm hoping its very high.
Providence 2011 - Long Live Huxley 299!
BostonFriar11

Postby Eight Legger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Conveniently, Richmond plays at Dayton tomorrow. Will this one be for all the marbles and a spot in the new Big East??

It doesn't make sense that a league controlled by Georgetown would add nothing but midwestern schools. So if the rumors about G-town signing off on Creighton for Marquette if Marquette signed off on Richmond for them would make sense.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:06 pm

BostonFriar11 wrote:True. In all honesty I'm going to watch the Maryland-ACC legal battle very closely. If Maryland gets out with a minimal hit, the Big 10 stands to begin poaching at will. We could end up with an ACC refugee and start looking for 14. Someone had mentioned Wake Forest at one point, though I don't believe they fit the mold we are currently looking for.

Another question that asks itself: What will our exit fees look like? I hate to bring that ugly question up, but I'm hoping its very high.

God i hope they are high. Plus it means that this is the league.... if nothing else it the Big East needs to be what it has become the number 1, top dog, football league and one that can rub shoulders with the power football leagues when necessary.
BillEsq

Postby Bostonspider » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Not sure GU controls anything, but you figure they and the rest of the eastern teams have a big say. I would love to see Wake lower their football to FCS and join in the fun of the Big East. As to exit fees, I thought that the conference was planning a Grant of Media Rights instead.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board