Who Is Your Schools Most Hated Rival In/Out of Conference?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Who Is Your Schools Most Hated Rival In/Out of Conferenc

Postby Donnybrook » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:52 pm

gosports1 wrote:
billyjack wrote:
Xudash wrote:Holy crap! Bad form on URI's part! I would love to have a few URI fans trolling around here to see how they would worm their way out of this story.

Maybe I missed it, but would you care to elaborate on this: and the tire-iron incident of 1978 New England Player of the Year Dwight Williams.

It's still possible that the minute you New England guys decided to call milk shakes frappes, you all went batshit crazy.

In the meantime, all the relevant stuff - 3 miles from each other; small private versus huge public; a lot of familiarity and overlap; and just one episode a year - continue to make the Xavier / UC rivalry Xavier's biggest, period (since it's the summer, as you noted): http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/12/18/college-basketball-xavier-cincinnati-crosstown/1774975/

Yeah, XU and Cincy is a legit real rivalry. Anytime an out-of-control brawl and blood is involved, including a sucker punch by UC (the X guy didn't even drop!), then it's the real thing.

Right, milkshakes, frappes... believe it or not, Rhode Islanders call them "cabinets". And a submarine sandwich is a "grinder" (pronounced "grindah"). Soda is pronounced "soder"... we add an "r" to words that don't have them... a weird "idear"...

Oh yeah, and regional "Shaw's" supermarket and local "Shore's" supermarket are pronounced the same... "Shaws"... we have to say "I'm going down to Shore's, S-H-O-R-E-S, you want anythin'?"

dont foget about the "jimmies" and the " bubbla"! We also played Minnesoter in hockey in my day! :lol:
special points to any of you not up on new england slang for guessing what a bubbler (pronounced bubbla) is or what you would do with jimmies

Growing up in Milwaukee everyone called a drinking fountain a Bubbler. It wasn't until my freshman year at Marquette and I started meeting people from different parts of the country that I realized that is not common terminology. But I eventually heard that parts of NE use that word too...
Donnybrook

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Great article, no lost love from us Johnnies for the Bearcats. Always tough, hard fought games that we very close usually with the home team winning. In the Bearcats Big East residency we hold a one game advantage over them. We were always middle of the pack teams so it seemed like almost every year we were picked to play each other twice. I have no problem with X sliding in and filling that void since we are now 2-2 against each other taking turns sweeping each other the first two years as conference mates.

SJU and Seton Hall has a proximity rivalry. While not as close as UC and X they play right across the Hudson River from each other. You can take the PATH from New York Penn Station which sits below MSG to Newark Penn Station which sits across the street from the Prudential Center in like 15 minutes. I know us Johnnies try to say our Big East Rival is Georgetown, who we sincerely hate, but if any school resembles what the article described as sharing a hotel room for over a week with someone thats the Hall. The hatred has been ratcheted up recently with the recruiting of Isaiah Whitehead who was supposedly set to sign with us but then at the last minute changed his mind and chose Seton Hall after Willard offered his AAU coach an assistant job. Seton Hall is one of the few conference teams we'll play at Carnesecca instead of MSG. We don't want to make it easy for their fans to get to the game and have a true home court advantage. But we'll gladly cross the river and split the Prudential Center between red and blue when we play in Jersey.

Georgetown is our on the block rival, while Seton Hall is our little brother rival.

I've always found it surprising that more St. John's fans don't make the trip to Newark. It's just as easy as you described. I mean, there's always a decent amount of Johnnies fans there, but it's nothing like Villanova or Syracuse (back in the old conference) fans who regularly borderline outnumber us in our own building (which is another issue altogether, it's just embarrassing. They used to sell out Brendan Byrne/Continental Airlines Arena [IZOD Center] and now they can't sell out the lower bowl of the Rock). Rutgers and Georgetown tend to bring good traveling support to the Rock too. Going the other way, I'd absolutely go to MSG for SHU-SJU game, but Carnesecca is such a pain in the ass to get to from New Jersey that I've never bothered trying (tickets are also, obviously, much harder to come by there).

Funny story- I don't remember if it was last year or the year before, but SHU sent a bus of students up to Carnesecca for the Johnnies game, but they didn't get there until the 2nd half because the bus driver thought the game was at MSG and went to the wrong place.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby admin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Syracuse is in position to begin its NCAA-issued scholarship reduction a year earlier than expected after former ESPN 100 prospect Moustapha Diagne has decided to play at a junior college, leaving the Orange with just 10 scholarship players.

The school issued a statement Friday that Diagne, a 6-foot-8 power forward from Pope John XXIII High School in New Jersey, "has decided to enroll in a two-year college." He was ranked No. 58 in the ESPN 100.

Only nine of Syracuse's 10 scholarship players are eligible to play, as Providence transfer Paschal Chukwu will sit out the upcoming season before having three years of eligibility with the Orange.

As a result, Syracuse could now begin its NCAA-issued scholarship reduction if the university decides to do so.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... agne-exits
admin
Site Admin

Postby marquette » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:26 pm

That would be awfully convenient for them...
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board