Who Is Your Schools Most Hated Rival In/Out of Conference?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Who Is Your Schools Most Hated Rival In/Out of Conferenc

Postby billyjack » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:09 am

NJRedman wrote:When the Seton Hall dorm fire happened back in 2000 they had first suspected a St. John's student(s) since that night we lost to the Pirates in basketball. It turned out to be a Seton Hall student messing around and started the fire as a goof and it went out of control. We had cops showing up at campus asking questions and everything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/20/nyreg ... -hurt.html

A little 6 degrees of separation, the kid who lit the fire graduated HS with one of my frat brothers.

Wow, that was a terrible article. No sprinklers in the 600 bed dorm, and regular false alarms. Terrible tragedy.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby marquette » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:12 pm

billyjack wrote:
Xudash wrote:Holy crap! Bad form on URI's part! I would love to have a few URI fans trolling around here to see how they would worm their way out of this story.

Maybe I missed it, but would you care to elaborate on this: and the tire-iron incident of 1978 New England Player of the Year Dwight Williams.

It's still possible that the minute you New England guys decided to call milk shakes frappes, you all went batshit crazy.

In the meantime, all the relevant stuff - 3 miles from each other; small private versus huge public; a lot of familiarity and overlap; and just one episode a year - continue to make the Xavier / UC rivalry Xavier's biggest, period (since it's the summer, as you noted): http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/12/18/college-basketball-xavier-cincinnati-crosstown/1774975/

Yeah, XU and Cincy is a legit real rivalry. Anytime an out-of-control brawl and blood is involved, including a sucker punch by UC (the X guy didn't even drop!), then it's the real thing.

Right, milkshakes, frappes... believe it or not, Rhode Islanders call them "cabinets". And a submarine sandwich is a "grinder" (pronounced "grindah"). Soda is pronounced "soder"... we add an "r" to words that don't have them... a weird "idear"...

Oh yeah, and regional "Shaw's" supermarket and local "Shore's" supermarket are pronounced the same... "Shaws"... we have to say "I'm going down to Shore's, S-H-O-R-E-S, you want anythin'?"

Grinder is also the term used in Connecticut. There's also a town in Wisconsin, Fond du Lac I believe, that uses "grinder."
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby bmorex » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:06 pm

billyjack wrote:
Xudash wrote:Holy crap! Bad form on URI's part! I would love to have a few URI fans trolling around here to see how they would worm their way out of this story.

Maybe I missed it, but would you care to elaborate on this: and the tire-iron incident of 1978 New England Player of the Year Dwight Williams.

It's still possible that the minute you New England guys decided to call milk shakes frappes, you all went batshit crazy.

In the meantime, all the relevant stuff - 3 miles from each other; small private versus huge public; a lot of familiarity and overlap; and just one episode a year - continue to make the Xavier / UC rivalry Xavier's biggest, period (since it's the summer, as you noted): http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/12/18/college-basketball-xavier-cincinnati-crosstown/1774975/

Yeah, XU and Cincy is a legit real rivalry. Anytime an out-of-control brawl and blood is involved, including a sucker punch by UC (the X guy didn't even drop!), then it's the real thing.

Right, milkshakes, frappes... believe it or not, Rhode Islanders call them "cabinets". And a submarine sandwich is a "grinder" (pronounced "grindah"). Soda is pronounced "soder"... we add an "r" to words that don't have them... a weird "idear"...

Oh yeah, and regional "Shaw's" supermarket and local "Shore's" supermarket are pronounced the same... "Shaws"... we have to say "I'm going down to Shore's, S-H-O-R-E-S, you want anythin'?"

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/unher ... avid-west/
bmorex

Postby billyjack » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:31 am

bmorex wrote:
billyjack wrote:

Great article, and awesome that "Mike Damone" went to Xavier!
Providence
billyjack

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:08 am

bmorex wrote:
billyjack wrote:

Great article, no lost love from us Johnnies for the Bearcats. Always tough, hard fought games that we very close usually with the home team winning. In the Bearcats Big East residency we hold a one game advantage over them. We were always middle of the pack teams so it seemed like almost every year we were picked to play each other twice. I have no problem with X sliding in and filling that void since we are now 2-2 against each other taking turns sweeping each other the first two years as conference mates.

SJU and Seton Hall has a proximity rivalry. While not as close as UC and X they play right across the Hudson River from each other. You can take the PATH from New York Penn Station which sits below MSG to Newark Penn Station which sits across the street from the Prudential Center in like 15 minutes. I know us Johnnies try to say our Big East Rival is Georgetown, who we sincerely hate, but if any school resembles what the article described as sharing a hotel room for over a week with someone thats the Hall. The hatred has been ratcheted up recently with the recruiting of Isaiah Whitehead who was supposedly set to sign with us but then at the last minute changed his mind and chose Seton Hall after Willard offered his AAU coach an assistant job. Seton Hall is one of the few conference teams we'll play at Carnesecca instead of MSG. We don't want to make it easy for their fans to get to the game and have a true home court advantage. But we'll gladly cross the river and split the Prudential Center between red and blue when we play in Jersey.

Georgetown is our on the block rival, while Seton Hall is our little brother rival.
NJRedman

Postby gosports1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:56 pm

billyjack wrote:

dont foget about the "jimmies" and the " bubbla"! We also played Minnesoter in hockey in my day! :lol:
special points to any of you not up on new england slang for guessing what a bubbler (pronounced bubbla) is or what you would do with jimmies
gosports1

Postby gosports1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:09 pm

i agree with Billyjack, i cant think of anyone that the majority of PC fans hate in conference. even in the old conference. Out of conference URI is kind of a must win game. That loss probably stings the most. Although IMO URI fans hate PC more than PC fans hate URI
gosports1

Postby Xudash » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:18 pm

gosports1 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

dont foget about the "jimmies" and the " bubbla"! We also played Minnesoter in hockey in my day! :lol:
special points to any of you not up on new england slang for guessing what a bubbler (pronounced bubbla) is or what you would do with jimmies

What to do with "jimmies."

Okay, the first sick guess that came to mind had something to do with taking a nervous sheep to the woods west of Danbury and I'm not even going to suggest that KY Jelly is involved. That has to be wrong, since we're talking about New England and not West VA.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby NJRedman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:09 am

Xudash wrote:
gosports1 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

What to do with "jimmies."

Okay, the first sick guess that came to mind had something to do with taking a nervous sheep to the woods west of Danbury and I'm not even going to suggest that KY Jelly is involved. That has to be wrong, since we're talking about New England and not West VA.

Jimmies are sprinkles that go on your ice cream.
NJRedman

Postby billyjack » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:08 am

Right, jimmies are sprinkles on ice cream.
A bubbler is a drinking fountain.
Pizzas are never referred to as "pies"... they're "pizzas".

Wow, this is a slow week for college hoops if we're discussing Rhode Island slang.
But it beats the alternative, discussing some new crisis with Friars...!
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board