Was Their Any Truth To This Rumor?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby robinreed » Wed May 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Was there ANY truth to this rumor?
From Greg Cunningham on twitter:

Xavier coach @CoachChrisMack appears to be the front runner to take over the Florida program according to @247Sports http://florida.247sports.com/Article/Florida

Generally speaking 247sports would not be the first site I would check or believe. I expected Chris to say no however the money the gators would throw at the new coach would be obscene.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Was Their Any Truth To This Rumor?

Postby XUFan09 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:29 am

Was he the frontrunner? No, because it didn't get that far along. In those early stages, there's frequently not a true "frontrunner." Mack is probably the only name that Cunningham was initially hearing from his sources, but absence of proof is not proof of absence. There were other guys in the mix, then, and a Florida article actually mentioned some of them along with Mack. He was one of those who was contacted through third parties,* though, and he did at least think about the job seriously (which makes sense, as it's a good opportunity for more money).

*The whole third party thing always gives coaches and athletic departments plausible deniability through technicalities. "No, Foley never *wink*contacted*wink* me."
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby muskienick » Thu May 21, 2015 2:30 pm

XUFan09,

Can you also verify that Christie Mack has a small birthmark on her neck but under her hairline?
muskienick

Postby XUFan09 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:08 pm

muskienick wrote:XUFan09,

Can you also verify that Christie Mack has a small birthmark on her neck but under her hairline?

Lol I am unable to confirm that.

Now that it's not late at night, I figured I'd take a little time to bring up the article I mentioned. First, there's one from ESPN where they mention Florida reaching out to Mack and Dayton's Archie Miller, but "it would have taken a significant amount of money to pry them away from their respective jobs" (that's the kind of stuff you figure out through agents, search firms, and maybe other third parties).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ball-coach

Here's the article I mentioned:

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=3 ... basketball

"The names that routinely pop up when prominent jobs come open -- Dayton’s Archie Miller, Xavier’s Chris Mack, Murray State’s Steve Prohm, Villanova’s Jay Wright and, yes, White -- were a part of the initial conversations. Several others too, including internal candidates John Pelphrey and Anthony Grant. But the uncertain early stages of the process were more about simple fact-finding and the gathering intelligence to determine who might be the best fit for the UF program; the UF culture." Once again, third-party scouting for the fact-finding and intelligence-gathering to, once again, deny actual contact lol.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Hoopfan » Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 am

He could have been floridas front runner but because so little info was leaked its hard to know. Florida did this smart and didnt let the info get out and got their "first choice" in coaches.
Hoopfan

Return to Big East basketball message board