Big East meetings discussion

The home for Big East hoops

Postby turner » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 am

In addition to the talks about FCOA, I found this interesting:

Other men’s basketball issues facing the league include trying to finalize a nonconference scheduling agreement with the Pac-12, working on improving the Big East tournament in New York City and adjusting to rule changes expected to be enacted in June.

Also a member of the Division I men’s basketball committee, Rasmussen said some of the proposed rule changes designed to crack down on physical play could have a big impact on the Big East.

“Our league typically has been known as a league that traditionally is much more physical and the officials allow it,” Rasmussen said. “We have to make sure our coaches and officials know what we need to do to make an adjustment to the new rules.”

Rasmussen said he expects there will be considerable discussion on the league’s championship structure for sports other than men’s and women’s basketball. The current structure allows for a variety of tournament formats.

Four of the seven Big East schools that play baseball qualify for the conference tournament, while the volleyball tournament has four of 10 teams. In men’s and women’s soccer, six of the 10 advance.

“We have to decide what we’re going to do with championships across the board,’’ Rasmussen said. “You could make a strong case for the Pac-12 model, which doesn’t have championships. You earn your way in (to the NCAA tournament) based on how you played all year.

“You can make a case for everyone going to the conference tournament or for some model in between. I think our administrators are all over the board on this one, but that we need to get some consistency.”

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/basketba ... 97113.html
turner

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East meetings discussion

Postby Jet915 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 pm

If there is gonna be a challenge with the PAC-12, it better involve all the teams.
Jet915

Postby Xudash » Tue May 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Firstly, kudos to our Creighton colleagues for always being well informed and in position to break good information over the wire. You must have a very diligent beat writer in Omaha covering you guys, or something to that effect.

Secondly, I really like that the Big East is pursuing this with the Pac12. Regardless of how it ends up being structured, it will provide further validation that the Big East Conference, while obviously not a P5 conference, is nonetheless a conference that enjoys the kind of stature needed to enter into these kinds of arrangements.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Vill » Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 pm

I think eliminating the conference tournaments in some of the lesser sports makes a lot of sense. Let's send our best teams to the NCAA tournament not the one who had a good weekend.
Vill

Postby NJRedman » Tue May 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Vill wrote:I think eliminating the conference tournaments in some of the lesser sports makes a lot of sense. Let's send our best teams to the NCAA tournament not the one who had a good weekend.

Or you can have the two top teams duke it out. The top team gets home field/court advantage.
NJRedman

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue May 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Vill wrote:I think eliminating the conference tournaments in some of the lesser sports makes a lot of sense. Let's send our best teams to the NCAA tournament not the one who had a good weekend.

Be careful of what you wish for...
College hoops is suffering from contract creep- starting earlier and ending later, thanks to greed. It can be said that elimination of all end-of-season conference tourneys is a good thing. The hoops season is far too long (early Oct - mid Apr). March madness runs to mid April? Forty games is too much - 6.5 months is too long.

Begin the season "traditionally" around Thanksgiving (late November).
Return to the 27 game cap on regular season games.
Dump the post season conference tourneys
Return the automatic bid to the regular season champions.
Restore March Madness - both the NCAA/NIT begin the 1st week in March.
36 games maximum.

This is an interesting subtopic, one which has been talked up on numerous forums.
Money and expansion (to 64/68 teams) has corrupted the NCAA Basketball championship.
It's not too late to restore college basketball back to its' proper setting and glory.

:)
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gosports1 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 pm

i like the idea of sending the tourney winners. If our top teams really are top they should be able in most cases pick up an at large bid.
from my slightly biased point of view, PC's mens soccer team didnt finish 1st in BE but won tourney and made it to the soccer final four.
i think it also creates excitement for the kids particapating
gosports1

Postby NJRedman » Tue May 19, 2015 8:29 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:

Be careful of what you wish for...
College hoops is suffering from contract creep- starting earlier and ending later, thanks to greed. It can be said that elimination of all end-of-season conference tourneys is a good thing. The hoops season is far too long (early Oct - mid Apr). March madness runs to mid April? Forty games is too much - 6.5 months is too long.

Begin the season "traditionally" around Thanksgiving (late November).
Return to the 27 game cap on regular season games.
Dump the post season conference tourneys
Return the automatic bid to the regular season champions.
Restore March Madness - both the NCAA/NIT begin the 1st week in March.
36 games maximum.

This is an interesting subtopic, one which has been talked up on numerous forums.
Money and expansion (to 64/68 teams) has corrupted the NCAA Basketball championship.
It's not too late to restore college basketball back to its' proper setting and glory.

:)

If you go to the NCAA finals you'll hit 40 games. UK was 38-1
NJRedman

Return to Big East basketball message board