FOX claims FS1 is 3rd among sports networks

The home for Big East hoops

Re: FOX claims FS1 is 3rd among sports networks

Postby BEwannabe » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:59 pm

handdownmandown wrote:...unless of course it means everybody who is tying themselves to the fixed rate platform (see: cable) gets flushed along with ESPN.

Then it isn't good for FS1.

whatever ails ESPN will ail FS1 but FS1 doesn't need $6+ per subscriber rather they just want to keep working north of where they've been and while I think it's possible it's going to be tough sledding. Mistakes will be painful and it will be a real cat & mouse game on the property and on air personality front and the real battle ground the non baby boomers. Label them as you please but they're non traditional, even labeling them non traditional is terribly off the mark in describing their demographic. I have 2 kids in this demographic and their viewing habits are very different even between the 2 of them but if I had paid better attention I would have made millions buying NFLX and I'm trying real hard not to miss the next opportunity.
BEwannabe

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby marquette » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

handdownmandown wrote:...unless of course it means everybody who is tying themselves to the fixed rate platform (see: cable) gets flushed along with ESPN.

Then it isn't good for FS1.

True, but consider the following scenarios (numbers are approximately the same as current because I don't want to speculate and my guess is percentages stay the same):

Cable goes a la carte. You are a sports fan faced with some choices now. You like baseball (still the second most popular professional sport), NFL, and are somewhat interested in college sports. For the most part, your baseball is going to be on a regional sports affiliate (bonus if you have a local basketball team that doesn't get a lot of national attention), so you have that cost built in. You want to watch the playoffs? You need FS1. NFL is generally on the national networks. A couple of games on ESPN, but is it enough to justify it? When the choice is between $1/month and $6.50/month?

You are a UFC fan, you have to get FS1 for your fight fix.

You are a NASCAR fan, you have to get FS1 for your race fix.

etc with other niche sports. FS1 may have taken some flack for tying themselves to these sports with niche fanbases, but I will remind everyone that UFC fans pay $45 generally once a month for a single event. We like our fights.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:25 pm

Another good sports media related article: How Broadcast TV Networks Could Reclaim Sports

A very interesting read...especially TV networks rebroadcasting income.

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/2015 ... im-sports/

AND...

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/2015 ... m-at-espn/

On Deck: Premier League (2015-16) and Big Ten (2016-17)rights bids coming up.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby NovaBall » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:41 am

Haven't read this thread in a while, but my guess as to what is going on:

FS1 ratings continue to improve, and
Stever is somehow trying to spin it into a negative for the big east with some long worded nonsense.

Dude, Dayton is not getting invited to the conference. Get over it.
NovaBall

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Looks like FS1 & FS2 are paying the bills.

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/2015 ... ucceeding/
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby robinreed » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:38 am

Colin Cowherd was fired by ESPN yesterday for racist remarks he made on air. I hope to god Fox does not hire him. I know his former boss at ESPN is now the head of Fox sports and there was speculation Colin would be hired by Fox however this I hope is a game changer in terms of Cowherd's career.

There will be other's who ESPN will let go who we can get and they are not as controversial.
robinreed

Postby Chalmers0 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:54 am

robinreed wrote:Colin Cowherd was fired by ESPN yesterday for racist remarks he made on air. I hope to god Fox does not hire him. I know his former boss at ESPN is now the head of Fox sports and there was speculation Colin would be hired by Fox however this I hope is a game changer in terms of Cowherd's career.

There will be other's who ESPN will let go who we can get and they are not as controversial.

Earlier in the week it was speculated that it was already a done deal with Fox. That was obviously before the controversy, but I would bet a large sum of money that Cowherd will be with Fox in the not to distant future.
Chalmers0

Postby stever20 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:34 am

Chalmers0 wrote:
robinreed wrote:Colin Cowherd was fired by ESPN yesterday for racist remarks he made on air. I hope to god Fox does not hire him. I know his former boss at ESPN is now the head of Fox sports and there was speculation Colin would be hired by Fox however this I hope is a game changer in terms of Cowherd's career.

Earlier in the week it was speculated that it was already a done deal with Fox. That was obviously before the controversy, but I would bet a large sum of money that Cowherd will be with Fox in the not to distant future.

MLB may put a lot of pressure on Fox about that. And Fox with how important MLB is to them may very well have to placate them. It's no lock at all for sure.
stever20

Postby marquette » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:48 pm

stever20 wrote:
Chalmers0 wrote:

MLB may put a lot of pressure on Fox about that. And Fox with how important MLB is to them may very well have to placate them. It's no lock at all for sure.

I've heard his contract is somewhere in the $6 million range. It's hard to fire someone for actions that took place wholly at another company if you are trying to get rid of them for cause. Eating that large of a contract might give the folks over at Fox pause.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Barley » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:01 pm

There was another article this week detailing the subscriber losses ESPN is dealing with- like 10 million over the past five years. Not sure if that helps or hurts FS1 but it eventually has to catch up with the leagues and the rights fees being paid to them,right?
Barley

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board