OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

The home for Big East hoops

Postby DudeAnon » Sun May 03, 2015 9:57 am

Who watched the fight? I was able to catch most of it and it was awful. They really need to change the rules of boxing because as it stands their best fighter is boring as f---. Mayweather just played defense the whole tI me and played the numbers game. I think they need to remove the gloves. The boxers just use them as huge shields resulting in no fight at all.

Thoughts?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Postby Omaha1 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 am

I didn't see it and generally agree with you on Boxing. However, there is an Omaha boxer named Bud Crawford who is undefeated and was the 2014 boxer of the year who is awesome to watch. Over 10k in Omaha last year to see him knock out a Cuban guy in the fight of the year. if you're looking for someone to watch, he's the guy in boxing right now.

If all boxing was like this, it would be a lot more popular. Rewatching these highlights was fun.

Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MUBoxer » Sun May 03, 2015 4:04 pm

I think if you'd been in the ring before you'd be much more impressed with mayweather and if you'd been hit by these guys you'd understand the reason the gloves are there.

I never had any doubt mayweather would lose. I was hired as a sparing partner for one of his prospects a few years back when he was getting ready for cotto and I cannot tell you how insane the work ethic is at his gym. It's borderline psychotic
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby DudeAnon » Sun May 03, 2015 5:01 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Who watched the fight? I was able to catch most of it and it was awful. They really need to change the rules of boxing because as it stands their best fighter is boring as f---. Mayweather just played defense the whole tI me and played the numbers game. I think they need to remove the gloves. The boxers just use them as huge shields resulting in no fight at all.

Thoughts?

Don't get me wrong. I respect the hell out of boxers. But as it stands, it is an awful spectator sport.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hoopfan » Sun May 03, 2015 5:22 pm

As much as the fight was hyped and as boring as it was its a major turnoff for people who havnt really been boxing fans in the past. I know many of us watching it together at the house were disappointed and left a bit underwhelmed and not planning to buy another ppv for boxing.
Hoopfan

Postby MUBoxer » Mon May 04, 2015 10:34 am

Hoopfan wrote:As much as the fight was hyped and as boring as it was its a major turnoff for people who havnt really been boxing fans in the past. I know many of us watching it together at the house were disappointed and left a bit underwhelmed and not planning to buy another ppv for boxing.

These guys didn't get to be multidivision world champions by fighting recklessly and welterweight is inherently less viewer friendly than the bigger weights. If you would like to watch a viewer friendly fight I suggest GGG he's 32-0 with 29 of those being knock outs. Hasn't fought a lot of top fighters because they're a wee bit scared of stats like those.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 am

MUBoxer wrote:
Hoopfan wrote:As much as the fight was hyped and as boring as it was its a major turnoff for people who havnt really been boxing fans in the past. I know many of us watching it together at the house were disappointed and left a bit underwhelmed and not planning to buy another ppv for boxing.

These guys didn't get to be multidivision world champions by fighting recklessly and welterweight is inherently less viewer friendly than the bigger weights. If you would like to watch a viewer friendly fight I suggest GGG he's 32-0 with 29 of those being knock outs. Hasn't fought a lot of top fighters because they're a wee bit scared of stats like those.

I think Boxing's biggest problem right now is MMA- where top fights often times get done in the 1st round. Folks don't have the attention span they used to have.
stever20

Postby ivet » Mon May 04, 2015 1:50 pm

MUBoxer wrote:

Triple G is the best fighter in the world right now. Fighters are afraid to face him. Another guy is Sergey Kovalev from Russia.
ivet

Postby MUBoxer » Mon May 04, 2015 3:15 pm

ivet wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

Triple G is the best fighter in the world right now. Fighters are afraid to face him. Another guy is Sergey Kovalev from Russia.

I think he will be but he's not yet. He's on the verge of getting fights against Cotto or Lee or even an aging Martinez and once he proves himself against those guys, and I believe he will if he gets a better trainer, then he'll be the top dog. Really hoping for him to move up in weight to fight Andre Ward that'd be incredible.

Haven't really heard or seen anything about Kovalev, I don't really follow beyond Middleweight (highest i fought at) but I know the heavyweight division has some interesting up and comers who are undefeated so it'll be interesting to see how it all works out.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:57 am

Anyone get suckered into paying a hundred bucks for Mayweather-McGregor?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board