Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

Postby stever20 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:06 pm

The thing is though- it still speaks to where the high school basketball is good. HS basketball in the NE has gone down hill obviously looking at this list.

Also- I do believe ESPN's list still lists where the person is from.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri May 08, 2015 8:31 am

Hoosier: let me provide the credible data that you seek about NYC, Philly and basketball talent:

# of players from metro NY from ESPN Top 100, last 5 years:
2015 - 4
2014 - 5
2013 - 6
2012 - 4
2011 - 5

Please share with us the # of ESPN Top 100 kids that are from Huntington, WV, Wolfesboro NH and Henerson NV in each of those years when you get the chance.

And I'm so sorry that Kobe Bryant did not fit your criteria for "best college basketball talent." You really got me there. I guess that really pokes a hole in my argument that Philly is a better place to find basketball talent than Wolfesboro, NH. Let me take another stab at it then, and I'll edit out those terrible players like Kobe that actually didn't play college hoops:

Rakeem Christmas (Cuse) - expected first round pick
Rondae Hollis- Jefferson (UA) - expected first round pick
Amile Jefferson (Duke)
Jabril Trawik (Gtwn)
Rasheed Jordan (SJU)
Malcom Gilbert (Pitt)
BJ Johnson (Cuse)
Trevor Cooney (Cuse)
Ryan Archidiacono - (Nova) - BEPOY
Daniel Ochefu - (Nova)

Markus Morris - (KU) - NBA
Markief Morris - (KU) - NBA
Rasul Butler (LaSalle) - NBA
Gerald Henderson (Duke) - NBA
Kyle Lowry (Nova) - NBA All-Star
Wayne Ellington (Duke) - NBA
Michael-Kidd Gilchrist (UK) - NBA
Lavoy Allen - (Temple) - NBA
Malik Wayns (Nova) - NBA
John Salmons (Miami) - NBA
Dion Waiters (Cuse) - NBA
Tyreke Evans (UK) - NBA
Jameer Nelson (St Joe's) - College NPOY, NBA

And Stever you simply don't understand an apples-to-apples comparison without moving the goalposts. You want to compare DC to Boston (roughly 400 miles) to VA to FL (roughly 1,000 miles). Um... not equal. Your act is old and everyone on this board, short of "Who's your Pal," sees through it.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby HoosierPal » Fri May 08, 2015 1:26 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Hoosier: let me provide the credible data that you seek about NYC, Philly and basketball talent:

# of players from metro NY from ESPN Top 100, last 5 years:
2015 - 4
2014 - 5
2013 - 6
2012 - 4
2011 - 5

Please share with us the # of ESPN Top 100 kids that are from Huntington, WV, Wolfesboro NH and Henerson NV in each of those years when you get the chance.

And I'm so sorry that Kobe Bryant did not fit your criteria for "best college basketball talent." You really got me there. I guess that really pokes a hole in my argument that Philly is a better place to find basketball talent than Wolfesboro, NH. Let me take another stab at it then, and I'll edit out those terrible players like Kobe that actually didn't play college hoops:

Rakeem Christmas (Cuse) - expected first round pick
Rondae Hollis- Jefferson (UA) - expected first round pick
Amile Jefferson (Duke)
Jabril Trawik (Gtwn)
Rasheed Jordan (SJU)
Malcom Gilbert (Pitt)
BJ Johnson (Cuse)
Trevor Cooney (Cuse)
Ryan Archidiacono - (Nova) - BEPOY
Daniel Ochefu - (Nova)

Markus Morris - (KU) - NBA
Markief Morris - (KU) - NBA
Rasul Butler (LaSalle) - NBA
Gerald Henderson (Duke) - NBA
Kyle Lowry (Nova) - NBA All-Star
Wayne Ellington (Duke) - NBA
Michael-Kidd Gilchrist (UK) - NBA
Lavoy Allen - (Temple) - NBA
Malik Wayns (Nova) - NBA
John Salmons (Miami) - NBA
Dion Waiters (Cuse) - NBA
Tyreke Evans (UK) - NBA
Jameer Nelson (St Joe's) - College NPOY, NBA

And Stever you simply don't understand an apples-to-apples comparison without moving the goalposts. You want to compare DC to Boston (roughly 400 miles) to VA to FL (roughly 1,000 miles). Um... not equal. Your act is old and everyone on this board, short of "Who's your Pal," sees through it.

Good start, but you still need to compare apples to apples. I can put together a long list of players for just about any major city.

Below is the criteria you need to use to prove that "the article is trash". Just replicate his method and come up with your list. The criteria is HS to college, not to Pro. Chances are 247Sports and ESPN are comparable starting points, but to stay on target I suggest you use what he did, 247Sports lists.

This is pretty straight forward. Then once you are finished, I will forward your results to Kerry Miller as it appears you don't want to. I would say five to eight corrections to his list would make your point. And frankly I don't care where your locations would be located. Adding Abilene KS to the list, for example, would be a mark in your column.

What we don't know is how far out into each city's metro area Miller went. I can tell you that for Indy, he stayed in the county. For example, Gordon Hayward lived in Brownsburg IN, which is not in Marion County where Indianapolis is located. He isn't in the Indy data that puts them #6. So get your Randy McNally out too.

Thank you. I am impressed with your passion. I am not impressed with your narrow focus on where HS hoops talent is located, but I am impressed with our passion.

Ranking the Top 20 Cities That Produce the Best College Basketball Talent

By Kerry Miller , College Basketball National Columnist

Criteria Considered

All the data used to rank these cities were compiled from 247Sports.

We pooled together the top 100 players from the 2006 to 2015 freshmen classes, loosely resulting in what were expected to be the 1,000 best college basketball players of the past decade.

If a player was ranked in the top 10 in his class, he was awarded 10 points. If a player was ranked between 11th and 20th, he was awarded nine points. Players ranked 21st through 30th were given eight points. You get the idea.

We then added up the total score for each city.

Some cities—like Winter Park, Florida, which produced Austin Rivers, Chandler Parsons and Nick Calathes—had a couple of great players but simply haven't produced enough top 100 players to make the cut. Conversely, cities like Philadelphia have produced a good number of top 100 players but not nearly enough McDonald's All-Americans to get onto this list.

To be one of the 20 best cities for basketball talent, a city needs to produce a high number of high-quality players.
HoosierPal

Postby stever20 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:31 pm

So 4-6 players from Metro NY a year the last 5 years....
How many was the same area producing 20 years ago? Why are there so many stories about NYC basketball being very down from how it used to be? I mean right now- since 2000- there are only 2 New York Mr. Basketball players that are in the NBA. Or last year- there were only 5 players in the NBA that grew up and played in NYC HS basketball...

Also you say Metro NY Area..... from Wikipedia- the NY metro area right now has 19,567,410 people as of 2010. The state of Florida has 18,801,310.

so using your list....
2015- metro NY 4 Florida 9
2014- metro NY 5 Florida 5
2013- metro NY 6 Florida 5
2012- metro NY 4 Florida 2
2011- metro NY 5 Florida 2
so in last 5 years- metro NY has had 24, Florida 23. Florida though definitely looks like they're trending up. right now- 8 of the top 60 in 2016 are from Florida. CT, NY, and NJ combined have 5(not sure if all of them are Metro NY or not).
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri May 08, 2015 2:01 pm

I had to laugh when I saw "cities" like Chatham, VA and Tilton, NH on the list. :lol:

Then, there's the title, "Cities That PRODUCE the Best College Basketball Talent".

Really? Great title. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What have Wolfeboro, NH and Mouth of Wilson, VA done to PRODUCE college basketball talent other than to house a couple of prep school basketball factories. Maybe he should have traced back to the cities where that talent was actually produced before they were recruited to the preps.
Bill Marsh

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri May 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Hey Hoosier go do it yourself. I don't have the time to break down every city and all their players. I gave you more than enough data but now you're just being a complete boob about this. But since you feel that your list of 20 is so undeniable how about you list all of that great talent from WV and NH (I'll give you the entire state) that now play in the NBA. Tick-tock... I'll be here waiting.

You're into links. Here's a link for you of where most of the homegrown NBA talent is coming from. Please note the DC to NYC area in red. NH, WV and NV are really impressive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/12/7202561/nba-birthplace-map-washington-dc-mississippi
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby HoosierPal » Fri May 08, 2015 3:13 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Hey Hoosier go do it yourself. I don't have the time to break down every city and all their players. I gave you more than enough data but now you're just being a complete boob about this. But since you feel that your list of 20 is so undeniable how about you list all of that great talent from WV and NH (I'll give you the entire state) that now play in the NBA. Tick-tock... I'll be here waiting.

You're into links. Here's a link for you of where most of the homegrown NBA talent is coming from. Please note the DC to NYC area in red. NH, WV and NV are really impressive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/12/7202561/nba-birthplace-map-washington-dc-mississippi

I took the article at face value, you didn't. I don't need to prove that "this article is trash". Your words. And you keep getting off target. The article was about rating high school hoopsters. You now want a list of NBA players. You commented on Stever moving the goal posts, and now you are doing the same thing.

Continue on your path of thinking the NYC-Philly is the #1 hotbed of high school hoops. I'm not losing any sleep over your conviction. I guess you aren't going to confront Miller either? [I think last time I was called a boob was in 3rd grade.]
HoosierPal

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri May 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Hoosier I called you a boob to be polite. There are a handful of more accurate terms to describe your stance in this debate that I thought would be accurate but rude to share. The fact that you took an article "at face value" that included small towns in WV, NH and WV as being greater developers of HS talent than cities like NY, Philly and Balt/DC is an indictment of your ability to truly understand HS/college basketball. I showed you 20-25 or so current NBA players and high Div1 players that all came from the Philly area and your response is that it had nothing to do with the argument at hand. Are you kidding me? So I guess a player making it to the NBA is in no way related to them being a talented college basketball player? Was Tyreke Evans , The Morris Twins , Kyle Lowry and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist so average in college that their being drafted in the first round was just by happenstance? Are you really that dense? Your argument is completely non-sensical (aka being a "boob"). Again what I said was any Top 20 list that does not include NY, Philly or DC had zero credibility. I showed through ESPN data that those areas consistently produce ESPN Top 100 talent. I'm still waiting on that list of all of the great talent that came out of NH, NV and WV. Please provide so we can compare.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:17 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Hey Hoosier go do it yourself. I don't have the time to break down every city and all their players. I gave you more than enough data but now you're just being a complete boob about this. But since you feel that your list of 20 is so undeniable how about you list all of that great talent from WV and NH (I'll give you the entire state) that now play in the NBA. Tick-tock... I'll be here waiting.

That is a good map.... I think historically it's very true. But It's changing...

I mean this year's rookies- there were 43 of them that scored 100+ points. Only 1 was from New York and 2 from Massachusetts- none from New Jersey, PA, MD, or DC. You take it down to top 50, and add 1 more from NY. All told there were 82 guys who made their NBA debut this season. New York had 4 and Massachusetts had 2. That's it. None from NJ, PA, MD. 30 years ago, 6 of the top 20 came from the Northeast- and 15 of the 60 total debut players from 1985 were from DC up. The next year was the Mullin/Ewing year(Ewing not born in the NE, but I think we all remember him as being NE)- even w/o Ewing- 4 of the top 20 were NE.

I think the thing also, that's focusing on just where they were born. You keep on railing about the academy's. The problem is that where are the kids playing High School Ball? Are they playing in Philly, or DC, or New York City? No they aren't. They are going to the academy's much more than ever before. So a coach who goes to watch a team- are they going to New York City? No, they are going to New Hampshire, West Virginia, or wherever those academies are. That has a huge impact. I know as a coach I can't tell you how many times I've heard stories of coaches going to a game to watch kid a, and kid b does something in the game, and they get on their radar- and how many of those kids wind up going to that school. That kind of contact isn't happening in NYC or Philly HS basketball anywhere near as much as it used to because those kids have gone to the academies.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun May 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Whatever.

It may be time to use the ignore feature. I come on here to talk intelligent hoops with other BE fans. You can offer neither of those. You make ridiculous and baseless comments like : "The Northeast is no longer a hotbed of basketball talent." When challenged you either cherry pick data or move the goal posts. Frankly your act is tiresome and no longer even worth it to engage. What do you get out of coming on here and making sure everyone hears how the BE is not such a great conference? What is the payoff for your condescension and expectations management?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board