Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

The home for Big East hoops

Postby robinreed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 pm

The number of the top 100 (ESPN) basketball players who have signed with the football playing DIV 1 schools is 90
There are 4 players who have not decided yet or at least have not signed.

The non-football playing schools signed 6 of the top 100 players to basketball scholarships.

The Big East, after a very good year and 6 NCAA tourney bids signed 5 of the 6 players who will attend non-football DIV 1 schools. The remaining player will attend Wichita State. Non-football schools such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Gonzaga etc. have none of the top 100.

For those interested in expansion this puts a new light on expansion with non-football schools only. They simply can not draw the interest from high school players as the football schools obviously are able to do. We in the Big East can and will defy this trend and our current membership will probably not be harmed if we can pull in 5 or more of the top 100 each and every year. However the A-10, Horizon, West Coast, MVC and other leagues are harmed by this trend. I also expect the FCOA may provide a greater benefit to the football playing schools as well.

Comments please
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

Postby Bluejay » Fri May 01, 2015 6:15 am

Who are the 5 going to the BE and where are they going?
Bluejay

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri May 01, 2015 8:04 am

Georgetown has 2: #65 Govan, #87 Derrickson
Marquette has 2: #5 Ellenson, #83 Cheatham
Nova has 1: #16 Brunson

But you could look at Rivals and you get:

Marquette: #11 Ellenson, #75 Cheatham, #90 Carter
Nova: #20 Brunson
Georgetown #40 Govan, #87 Derrickson
Crieghton #45 Patton
-----------------------------------
Xaveir #115 Gates
Villanova #120 Divincenzo
Providence #131 Owens

Scout:
Marquette: #7 Ellenson, #61 Heldt, #85 Cheatham
Villanova: #19 Bruson
Creighton: #41 Patton
Georgetown: #53 Govan, #97 Derrickson

Here's 247:
Marquette: #23 Ellenson, #62 Cheatham
Villanova: #28 Brunson
Georgetown: #42 Govan
Creighton: #66 Patton
Providence: #98 Owens
Xavier: #100 Gates
-----------------------------
Villanova: #101 Divincenzo
Georgetown: #109 Derrickson
Marquette: #134 Heldt, #147 Carter
St. John's: #140 Sima

and 247 Composite

Marquette: #10 Ellenson, #73 Cheatham
Villanova: #21 Brunson
Georgetown: #46 Govan, #80 Derrickson
Creighton: #83 Patton
----------------------------------
Villanova: #116 Divincenzo
Marquette: #117 Carter, #125 Heldt
Xavier: #130 Gates
Providence: #132 Owens

So ESPN's is the most pessimistic view of our incoming talent.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:22 am

5 vs 6 or 7 is hardly a huge difference. Even if it's 7- it's non football playing schools 8, football playing schools 92.

The thing that is interesting is the AAC has the exact same number of top 100 recruits in the composite ratings as we do- both with 6. MWC has 3. So it's G5+BE with 16.
stever20

Postby zmagic30 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:25 am

Isn't ESPN usually notoriously bad at this stuff, though? Plus I don't really put a lot of stock into recruit rankings. If we beat them on the court, that's all that really matters.
Creighton
There's always next year!
zmagic30

Postby stever20 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:33 am

zmagic30 wrote:Isn't ESPN usually notoriously bad at this stuff, though? Plus I don't really put a lot of stock into recruit rankings. If we beat them on the court, that's all that really matters.

The only one that ESPN doesn't have that the 247 composite has is Patton for Creighton at #83.
stever20

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri May 01, 2015 9:37 am

zmagic30 wrote:Isn't ESPN usually notoriously bad at this stuff, though? Plus I don't really put a lot of stock into recruit rankings. If we beat them on the court, that's all that really matters.

No they're fine. All of basketball ranking is worse than it used to be because there are too many people competing. It used to be just scout and rivals so they had a lot of people working for them and could see a lot more players. Then ESPN joined and then 247 poaching people from scout and rivals so now there are more sites, but each site has less people working for it so no site is as good as the old scout and rivals were. Best bet is to look at composites like 247s and RSCI.
hoyahooligan

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri May 01, 2015 10:18 am

Let's all hope that BE recruiting does not trend downward in the next few years. I personally don't think it will.

The 5 Northeast schools are in a geographic hotbed of talent. Of the football P5 teams in the NE only MD has its act together. PSU? Rutgers? BC? Um...no. Nova and G'town consistently have Top 25 recruiting classes and there is no reason to think that will change with JW and JTIII at the helm. Cooley seems to be able to recruit so I think PC will be fine. It will be interesting to see if Mullin can start pulling in 4/5 star players. It seems he's assembled a staff to do so.

On the western part of the conference XU has always gotten their share of players and Wojo seems to be recruiting at a high level at MU. Butler gets Butler players and they should be fine.

The 3 programs that worry me a little are SHU, DePaul and Creighton. For SHU you can't just have one good year and hope it works out. You need to get players each year. Hope KW can figure it out, b/c there is no reason with the talent from DC to Boston that a major college hoops team shouldn't be able to get some good players in each recruiting class. Creighton is in great shape overall as a program but they will have to be more of a national recruiter (since Omaha is not the mecca of HS hoops) and they haven't been in a major conference long enough to prove that they can pull in top level talent consistently yet. DePaul is a disgrace with the amount of talent in Chicago. How they can't get a consistent amount of players to stay home is just awful.

I think the way the BE can compete against the top of the P5 is to get 8-10 Top 100 kids, 15-20 Top 150 each year, who stick together for 3-4 years and develop so that teams are experienced, physically mature and play well together. We're never going to get to FF's using the UK, Duke, UNC, KU model, so why bother trying.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 am

I think 1 thing that has changed though is where recruits are coming from...

Using the ESPN100.....
Diallo from NY- Kansas
Briscoe from NJ- Kentucky
Bryant from NY- Indiana
Richardson from NJ- Syracuse
Adams from MA- UConn
Mitchell from CT- Louisville
Diagne from NJ- Syracuse
Govan from NY- Georgetown
Falzon from MA- Northwestern
Mann from MA- Florida St
McDuffie from NJ- Wichita St
Sharma from MA- Stanford

So only 12 of the top 100 from NJ/NY upwards. Add to that 4 from PA(of which we got none). So of those 16 folks- we only got 1. I wouldn't say that the NE is in a geographic hotbed of talent any longer. 4 from Mass, 1 from CT, 3 from NY, and 4 from NJ.

Look at the 5 ESPN top 100 recruits for the Big East and where they're from...
Ellenson- Wisconsin
Brunson- Illinois
Govan- New York
Cheatham- Florida
Derrickson- Virginia

So Big East recruiting has changed from largely regional to much more national. Look at Georgetown's roster this year...
SC 1
DC 1
MD 2
Ind 1
NJ 1
NC 1
TX 1
Ill 1
FL 3
WA 1
PA 1

9 folks from SC, Indiana, North Carolina, Texas, Illinois, Florida, and Washington(state). Only 5 from DC, Maryland, New Jersey, and PA.

Also would say that Syracuse hasn't deteriorated at all recruiting- they have 4 top 100 recruits this year. And UConn isn't going anywhere. And as foreign as it may seem- Penn St got 2 top 100 recruits this year and Rutgers got 1 as well. And Maryland is recruiting better now than they have in years. It's going to be a challenge- especially if we don't pony up the big FCOA's that others will be offering.
stever20

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:59 am

I don't know much about other schools in the Big East as far as how their 2016 classes are coming along but Villanova's only recruit so far is a Top 20 guy (16 right now) according to ESPN. So we got that going for us....which is nice.

Most people think Villanova will only bring in 1 more 2016 kid, at MOST 2. Biggest target right now is Lamar Stevens who is a Top 100 kid. I think he and Tone Carr might be a package deal so that might not work out in Nova's favor. We shall see.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board