Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

Postby NJRedman » Fri May 22, 2015 10:01 am

Jet915 wrote:
If it keeps him away from here, its worth it.

You're right, I should be happy he isn't over here much anymore. Hopefully he never comes back.

If he really went to GTown (which I have my doubts) he is the worst Hoya ever.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:55 pm

I was one of the ones that kind of gave him the benefit of the doubt, but have come to realize he nothing but an out and out troll. I don't believe for a second he roots for Georgetown or any other BE school. His whole schtick is to cherry pick information that puts us in the most negative light possible, while offering personal opinions that assume the worst for us, while building everyone else up. It's a shame, because he does know college basketball, and had the potential to be an interesting poster. But at this point I've had enough too, and hope he's gone for good.
hoops22

Postby marquette » Fri May 22, 2015 1:42 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
If it keeps him away from here, its worth it.

You're right, I should be happy he isn't over here much anymore. Hopefully he never comes back.

If he really went to GTown (which I have my doubts) he is the worst Hoya ever.

He claims to be a Georgetown fan, but has admitted that he never attended any Big East school.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:26 am

While I completely disagree with Stever's point of view regarding the Big East, the American Athletic Conference, and their respective future outlooks, it is completely pointless for any one of us to get frustrated and irritated over his (or anyone else's) commentary. Who cares what he says?

Nearly two years later, I am still very thankful the cards fell where they are. Our original C7 schools had no business whatsoever playing in the same conference as Tulane, East Carolina, SMU, Houston, UCF, or Tulsa. Memphis and Temple would have been great (as it would have been to continue playing UConn and Cincinnati), but it was not worth the sacrifice of adding those six other schools. Getting into a new situation with Butler, Creighton and Xavier has been absolutely amazing. I love the round-robin setup we have and the rivalries we are developing with everyone (playing twice a year is fantastic). We still get our conference tournament at MSG and New York, and have a really sweet deal with Fox for the foreseeable future.

To say that the Big East will not continue to get top-100 recruits is completely foolish. These schools are built are a tremendously strong basketball history and clear focus on basketball. There are lots of top basketball recruits that would love to be in the top basketball-only league in the country. Playing in front of 10,000+ fans on a nightly basis adds to that. We have some of the top coaches in the country (Wright, Thompson, Mack, Cooley, McDermott) and plenty of young, hungry coaches that can be added to that list (Wojo, Holtmann, Mullin).

It's a no-brainer. We will be fine.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun May 24, 2015 8:07 am

robinreed wrote:The number of the top 100 (ESPN) basketball players who have signed with the football playing DIV 1 schools is 90
There are 4 players who have not decided yet or at least have not signed.

The non-football playing schools signed 6 of the top 100 players to basketball scholarships.

The Big East, after a very good year and 6 NCAA tourney bids signed 5 of the 6 players who will attend non-football DIV 1 schools. The remaining player will attend Wichita State. Non-football schools such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Gonzaga etc. have none of the top 100.

For those interested in expansion this puts a new light on expansion with non-football schools only. They simply can not draw the interest from high school players as the football schools obviously are able to do. We in the Big East can and will defy this trend and our current membership will probably not be harmed if we can pull in 5 or more of the top 100 each and every year. However the A-10, Horizon, West Coast, MVC and other leagues are harmed by this trend. I also expect the FCOA may provide a greater benefit to the football playing schools as well.

Comments please

I did some cocktail napkin math on the 2015 class for added perspective. Of the 100, 22 went to schools that are considered the top tier in college bb: Duke, Ky, NC, Kansas, Arizona, Mich St, Syr and Lousiville. That's an average of about 3 top 100 players per school. That part of the equation has nothing to do with football. There are maybe about 20 other schools who can recruit on that level, but not consistently, and I'd put Nova, GT and Marquette in that category.

The problem, if there is one for the BE, is that we do not have a top-tier program capable of national championships and consistent top 10 recruiting. When that happens, and it will, the league will get respect nationally.

I did not wade through 10 pages of Stever to see if anyone else has posted anything similar to this.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Updated to include Mussini. Papagiannis and Rowan still in play for SJU.

ESPN
Georgetown has 2: #65 Govan, #87 Derrickson
Marquette has 2: #5 Ellenson, #83 Cheatham
Nova has 1: #16 Brunson

Rivals
Marquette: #11 Ellenson, #75 Cheatham, #90 Carter
Nova: #20 Brunson
Georgetown #40 Govan, #87 Derrickson
Crieghton #45 Patton
SJU: #62 Lovett
-----------------------------------
Xavier #115 Gates
Villanova #120 Divincenzo
Providence #131 Owens

Scout
Marquette: #7 Ellenson, #71 Heldt, #92 Cheatham
Villanova: #26 Brunson
Creighton: #24 Patton
Georgetown: #49 Govan, #94 Derrickson
SJU: #73 Lovett

Marquette: #23 Ellenson, #62 Cheatham
Villanova: #28 Brunson
Georgetown: #42 Govan
Creighton: #66 Patton
Providence: #98 Owens
Xavier: #100 Gates
-----------------------------
Villanova: #101 Divincenzo
SJU: #103 Mussini
Georgetown: #109 Derrickson
Marquette: #134 Heldt, #147 Carter
St. John's: #106 Lovett, #140 Sima

and 247 Composite

Marquette: #9 Ellenson, #75 Cheatham
Villanova: #21 Brunson
Georgetown: #46 Govan, #79 Derrickson
Creighton: #83 Patton
SJU: #83 Mussini, #88 Lovett
----------------------------------
Villanova: #115 Divincenzo
Marquette: #118 Carter, #127 Heldt
Xavier: #131 Gates
Providence: #134 Owens
Jet915

Postby Amase2 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Jet915 wrote:Updated to include Mussini. Papagiannis and Rowan still in play for SJU.

ESPN
Georgetown has 2: #65 Govan, #87 Derrickson
Marquette has 2: #5 Ellenson, #83 Cheatham
Nova has 1: #16 Brunson

Rivals
Marquette: #11 Ellenson, #75 Cheatham, #90 Carter
Nova: #20 Brunson
Georgetown #40 Govan, #87 Derrickson
Crieghton #45 Patton
SJU: #62 Lovett
-----------------------------------
Xavier #115 Gates
Villanova #120 Divincenzo
Providence #131 Owens

Scout
Marquette: #7 Ellenson, #71 Heldt, #92 Cheatham
Villanova: #26 Brunson
Creighton: #24 Patton
Georgetown: #49 Govan, #94 Derrickson
SJU: #73 Lovett

Marquette: #23 Ellenson, #62 Cheatham
Villanova: #28 Brunson
Georgetown: #42 Govan
Creighton: #66 Patton
Providence: #98 Owens
Xavier: #100 Gates
-----------------------------
Villanova: #101 Divincenzo
SJU: #103 Mussini
Georgetown: #109 Derrickson
Marquette: #134 Heldt, #147 Carter
St. John's: #106 Lovett, #140 Sima

and 247 Composite

Marquette: #9 Ellenson, #75 Cheatham
Villanova: #21 Brunson
Georgetown: #46 Govan, #79 Derrickson
Creighton: #83 Patton
SJU: #83 Mussini, #88 Lovett
----------------------------------
Villanova: #115 Divincenzo
Marquette: #118 Carter, #127 Heldt
Xavier: #131 Gates
Providence: #134 Owens

This is great jet, just a not, Malik Ellison a SJU recruit is ranked 95th by 247's own rankings.
Amase2

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board