Who are your/our rivals?

The home for Big East hoops

Who are your/our rivals?

Postby BostonFriar11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Now that the conference is coming together, curious who the fan bases root against. So to Creighton, Butler, Xavier et al., who are your biggest rivals?

For the Friars, it's Boston College (our preppier, richer brother), URI (in-state rivalry), and UConn (general bad blood, fighting for the same recruiting bases, Calhoun's epic Ryan Gomes press conference, and watching them try to dive into any other conference than the BE).

For the Big East as a whole, we have the traitors: Syracuse and Pitt. Both were instrumental to the implosion of the league, especially Pitt, who convinced the rest of the BE to decline ESPN's deal, which effectively sealed our fate. Why not Louisville, ND, or Rutgers? Louisville left as a reaction to the mass exodus, ND is a school very similar to the C7, and no one ever cared about Rutgers to begin with.
Providence 2011 - Long Live Huxley 299!
BostonFriar11

Who are your/our rivals?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who are your/our rivals?

Postby xu95 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Our biggest rival is Cinci. Dayton has been our biggest in conference rival. It wouldn't surprise me if Butler becomes our biggest rival in the new conference.
xu95

Postby podcast411 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 pm

The Dayton / X rivalry is over. Even if Dayton gets in when it goes to 12 teams - one of them will be in the Eastern division and one in the Mid-West division. Most likely Dayton goes east as they have a bigger alumni and fan base in the North east. Which really leaves Dayton with no true rivalry in the NBE. Guess we will just have to keep beating Vil every year until it becomes a rivalry.
podcast411

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:31 pm

podcast411 wrote:The Dayton / X rivalry is over. Even if Dayton gets in when it goes to 12 teams - one of them will be in the Eastern division and one in the Mid-West division. Most likely Dayton goes east as they have a bigger alumni and fan base in the North east. Which really leaves Dayton with no true rivalry in the NBE. Guess we will just have to keep beating Vil every year until it becomes a rivalry.

So X and D playing once a year means its no longer a rivalry? Doesn't make much sense... Hell SLU has a rivalry with Mizzou and i think we have played like less than 10 times tops...
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Not to mention the assumption of divisions.
yorost

Postby shupirate98 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:24 pm

If we do end up with Dayton and St. Louis as 11 and 12 and there are divisions I would not be at all surprised to see Xavier and Dayton kept together in the West with Butler in the East. No reason to break up an established rivalry, the new league needs all the juice it can get out of those kind of games. And Butler has no ties to any of the other schools in the West, doesn't really matter where you put them. Having been in the Horizon league playing Youngstown State a year ago I don't think they'll complain about having a little more traveling to do to get to Georgetown, Villanova, etc.
shupirate98

Postby James » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Syracuse before everyone. Happy to see the rivalry will still stand (although a bit of me would like them out of MSG for good and make them scramble for games at the Barclays Centre) Georgetown and Nova will be our biggest rivals in this conference; the three teams that made the final four together back in the Big East's heyday.
We are New York's team. We are St. John's.
James

Postby DeltaV » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:47 am

I've always had a lot of respect for Xavier; I can remember picking them in NCAA pools about as far back as I can remember. I could see us (Nova) having some close games with them and forming a nice little E-W rivalry; I think the schools are similar, even though they don't really recruit students from the same areas. New Jersey may be the main target of our hatred, but we enjoy making fun of the flyover states as well :mrgreen:
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby camtiger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:31 pm

To SLU fan above MIZZOU does not consider you rival.
camtiger

Postby BillEsq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:03 pm

camtiger wrote:To SLU fan above MIZZOU does not consider you rival.

LOL we know you don't, that is why you are to afraid to play us... you can't have a rivalry with someone you are afraid to play.
BillEsq

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board