If Billy D leaves Florida - who gets the job?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: If Billy D leaves Florida - who gets the job?

Postby Xudash » Thu May 07, 2015 7:11 pm

And so we move on... (phew).
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:48 pm

lolhoya wrote:Great hire for Florida and obviously good for the Big East that nobody got poached.

Great for the Big East. Ok for Florida IMO.
Jet915

Postby BEwannabe » Thu May 07, 2015 9:07 pm

XtoDC wrote:
Florida should be looking for a good X's & O's coach, who understands the south, has enough energy to get fans to remember and care when it is actually basketball season, and to be able to close on recruits.

And for the money they wanted to spend they got a great coach. There is no way after the $'s they shelled out for their football coach buyout they could afford ARchie and probably the same is true of Mack although I don't believe either were looking to move. Forward looking, ARchie has the makings of 2 really good teams and Mack has very good returning core group. Why follow Donovan? Florida is a great opportunity but I think they thought they could get Miller or Mack cheap.
BEwannabe

Postby HoosierPal » Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 am

BEwannabe wrote:And for the money they wanted to spend they got a great coach. There is no way after the $'s they shelled out for their football coach buyout they could afford ARchie and probably the same is true of Mack although I don't believe either were looking to move. Forward looking, ARchie has the makings of 2 really good teams and Mack has very good returning core group. Why follow Donovan? Florida is a great opportunity but I think they thought they could get Miller or Mack cheap.

Well the report is a 6 year contract averaging $2million per year. That ain't chump change. It's not Calipari money, but solidly in the SEC salary framework. It's pretty close to what Kennedy just re-upped for and just under what Anderson makes. If the link is remotely correct, it is about twice what Mack makes. I don't think Florida was looking to get by cheaply. White turned down Tennessee when they tried to replace Martin. White can coach.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach A bunch of these guys got raises at the end of the past season. Miller got an extension but "financial terms were not released'>
HoosierPal

Postby BEwannabe » Fri May 08, 2015 10:51 am

the salary is certainly a legitimate starting salary for the guys they were pursuing but the buyout of Archie was likely steep since he had just signed a lengthy extension rumored north of the $ figure you mention. Florida just spent a pile of dough bringing in their football coach and weren't (again rumored) looking to repeat spending big $'s on buyout. Both Mack and Miller were outside their $comfort$ zone.
BEwannabe

Postby HoosierPal » Fri May 08, 2015 11:30 am

BEwannabe wrote:the salary is certainly a legitimate starting salary for the guys they were pursuing but the buyout of Archie was likely steep since he had just signed a lengthy extension rumored north of the $ figure you mention. Florida just spent a pile of dough bringing in their football coach and weren't (again rumored) looking to repeat spending big $'s on buyout. Both Mack and Miller were outside their $comfort$ zone.

What was the financial comfort zone for Florida? I never saw it published.
HoosierPal

Postby BEwannabe » Fri May 08, 2015 10:36 pm

I would offer to you to figure it out for yourself. Florida just recently agreed to the largest buyout in history as it relates to college athletics. The 7 mil buyout was for a coach earning 1.5. Miller was just extended to '21or'22 for significantly more than 1.5. So what do you think UD's buyout was and what Foley wanted to pay? BTW, Florida got a steal with White!
BEwannabe

Postby DudeAnon » Fri May 08, 2015 11:24 pm

BEwannabe wrote:I would offer to you to figure it out for yourself. Florida just recently agreed to the largest buyout in history as it relates to college athletics. The 7 mil buyout was for a coach earning 1.5. Miller was just extended to '21or'22 for significantly more than 1.5. So what do you think UD's buyout was and what Foley wanted to pay? BTW, Florida got a steal with White!

I seriously doubt Dayton has an expensive buyout. Archie has all the leverage, I think Florida simply preferred a young coach with Florida ties.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby X-man » Sat May 09, 2015 6:16 am

BEwannabe wrote:I would offer to you to figure it out for yourself. Florida just recently agreed to the largest buyout in history as it relates to college athletics. The 7 mil buyout was for a coach earning 1.5. Miller was just extended to '21or'22 for significantly more than 1.5. So what do you think UD's buyout was and what Foley wanted to pay? BTW, Florida got a steal with White!

Given his salary last season, I seriously have to question that assertion. Miller is a great coach, no doubt, but going from $650K to "significantly more than $1.5M" in one raise doesn't sound very likely to me. Sources?
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby BEwannabe » Sat May 09, 2015 7:22 am

Just as the Big East Presidents value their privacy so does UD and the terms ofArchie's contract will never be public. Miller and Mack were Florida's top targets. White is a great get for Florida but he wasn't Plan A.
BEwannabe

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board