NY Post says Creighton, Xavier, Butler in 2013

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NY Post says Creighton, Xavier, Butler in 2013

Postby bostonfriar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:54 am

I do not understand why Georgetown would care about east/west to the extent they would lobby for Richmond. Any info there would be appreciated.

I do not see Richmond as heavily investing in sports at all and they certainly would not improbe RPI for the other schools especially versus StL. Dayton and X both in Ohio would make me wonder about the market value but Dayton, to me, has more invested in athletics than Richmond.
bostonfriar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Eight Legger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 am

bostonfriar wrote:I do not understand why Georgetown would care about east/west to the extent they would lobby for Richmond. Any info there would be appreciated.

I do not see Richmond as heavily investing in sports at all and they certainly would not improbe RPI for the other schools especially versus StL. Dayton and X both in Ohio would make me wonder about the market value but Dayton, to me, has more invested in athletics than Richmond.

Georgetown likes the fact that we are a very similar institution and located 90 minutes away. And according to a post just before yours, we spend more on athletics than Xavier and St. Louis, so you may want to adjust your statement there. In the past 5 1/2 years, only Xavier and Temple have won more A-10 games than we have in basketball. We've also won the overall Atlantic 10 commissioner's cup numerous times since joining the league more than a decade ago.

And we've made the NCAA tournament more times than Dayton and won more NCAA games in the past 6-7 years. So yes, I think we've demonstrated a strong commitment to athletics, success in basketball and institutionally.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby mel ott » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:10 am

podcast411 wrote:If it was about facilities - Dayton would be the first one in - they own the best arena among all the potential schools. And Dayton is the only one spending on Athletics at the same rate as some of the current BE7.

One way or the other I hope on Tuesday they fully announce all teams coming in this year and next. But likely since the announcement is on the same day as the upfronts - all they will announce is the 2013 teams - and leave the 2014 announcements until after the NCAA tournament.

Are you a Dayton fan? I'm not sure what their Olympic sports facilities are like, but aside from the First Four tradition, and slightly larger capacity, UD Arena is definitely not better than Hinkle, Cintas, or Chaifetz. It's dark, has poor sight lines from many seats, and is just not my cup of tea. Not saying it is bad, just that it is not heads and tails above the others such that they would be the first team invited.

Yes - Dayton fan. But I have also been to the other facilities recently including Chaifetz on Feb 2nd. It is 2nd behind UD arena. I take it you have not been to UD arena since the upgrades. It is clearly the better facility out of all of them - Especially when you add in the Donher center. By the end of this Year UD Arena will have hosted more NCAA tournament games than any other facility ever. That said - the olympic venues for Volleyball and Soccer are Top notch and on par per other top 25 programs in those sports. The Baseball and Softball facilities are also very nice. When it comes to spending money on Olympic sports no one under contention spends close to what UD does on their sports and facilities. That is once you take out the $5.5 Mil Richmond spends on Football and the $1 Mil Dayton spends on its Football. Below are what the C7 spends on Athletics and what the potential schools coming in spend. That all said - I don't think the decisions will be based on any of this - sadly - it will just be about Mens Basketball and TV Markets.

School ---- Basketball Expense ---- Athletic Expenses
DePaul ---- $6,657,771.00 ---- $24,212,027.00
Georgetwn ---- $10,015,207.00 ---- $33,536,264.00
Marquette ---- $9,941,583.00 ---- $26,504,896.00
Providence ---- $6,562,933.00 ---- $22,550,248.00
Saint John’s ---- $7,289,171.00 ---- $33,644,628.00
Seton Hall ---- $6,401,383.00 ---- $20,886,250.00
Villanova ---- $6,398,678.00 ---- $30,934,099.00
AVG ---- $7,609,532.29 ---- $27,466,916.00

Catholic 7 Possible Additions
School ---- Basketball Expense ---- Athletic Expenses
Butler ---- $3,924,026 ---- $14,738,745 (Includes Football)
Creighton ---- $4,404,350 ---- $15,062,122
Dayton ---- $3,978,866 ---- $19,790,628 (With out Football)
Richmond ---- $3,971,226 ---- $15,460,451 (With out Football)
Saint Louis ---- $3,101,169 ---- $14,200,727
Xavier ---- $4,707,053 ---- $14,774,269
I assume here you are not including Creighton in this discussion on facilities? If you were I would say you were then off the mark on who has the best facilities. They are top 10 in basketball ( and the rent vs own point is meaningless), top 5 in soccer, and #1 in baseball. Their women's volleyball and basketball is a couple of years old, and they are breaking ground on a new men's bball practice facility currently. I hope SLU and Dayton make it in also. I have been to both arenas and know they both would be good long term additions.
mel ott

Postby Bostonspider » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 am

bostonfriar wrote:I do not understand why Georgetown would care about east/west to the extent they would lobby for Richmond. Any info there would be appreciated.

Georgetown, Villanova and to a lesser extent SHU and SJU can all bus their Olympic sports to Richmond, and would obviously have to fly to any of the Midwest schools. You also realize Dayton at the moment is in extreme jeopardy of not even making the A10 tournament. Richmond cares enough about their athletics to be spending upwards of $25M on renovating their arena, this after building a new athletics stadium for $25M a couple of years ago. Richmond strives to give their student athletes the best most complete college experience possible. UR also has a $150M athletic endowment which keeps scholarship costs in check at a school with full FCS football as well as a broad athletic department, including men's lacrosse starting next spring.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby podcast411 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 pm

mel ott wrote:
I assume here you are not including Creighton in this discussion on facilities? If you were I would say you were then off the mark on who has the best facilities. They are top 10 in basketball ( and the rent vs own point is meaningless), top 5 in soccer, and #1 in baseball. Their women's volleyball and basketball is a couple of years old, and they are breaking ground on a new men's bball practice facility currently. I hope SLU and Dayton make it in also. I have been to both arenas and know they both would be good long term additions.

We are talking about Facilities owned - not rented. If you look back at the earlier comments. Yes - the arena Creighton plays in is great - but it is not owned by Creighton. And really the point of my original comments - was I don't think facilities really means much anyway.

I live in KC so I really hope when all is done and said - Dayton / Creighton / SLU are all in. Gives me two easy road games.

Probably time for another thread on a rumor I just read about what happens if Richmond gets the nod and SLU or Dayton is not picked.
podcast411

Postby Eight Legger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11 pm

podcast411 wrote:
mel ott wrote:

We are talking about Facilities owned - not rented. If you look back at the earlier comments. Yes - the arena Creighton plays in is great - but it is not owned by Creighton. And really the point of my original comments - was I don't think facilities really means much anyway.

I live in KC so I really hope when all is done and said - Dayton / Creighton / SLU are all in. Gives me two easy road games.

Probably time for another thread on a rumor I just read about what happens if Richmond gets the nod and SLU or Dayton is not picked.

What happens? Dayton will melt into the core of the earth. SLU is getting in – I don't think that's much of a question.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby Moliva » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:23 pm

I must say that I find it more that mildly amusing that a fan of a school that doesn't field intercollegiate football or baseball teams would question anyone's commitment to athletics.
Moliva

Postby Moliva » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 pm

I'd like to add that I am amused that a PC fan would knock a school's ability to help league RPI. Have you looked up about 10 spots in the RPI lately?
Moliva

Postby bostonfriar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:29 pm

"I must say that I find it more that mildly amusing that a fan of a school that doesn't field intercollegiate football or baseball teams would question anyone's commitment to athletics."

Probably why you dropped soccer and track.

Just asked a question - sensiive aren't we? If travel costs lead to admitting a school that makes you wonder doesn't it?
bostonfriar

Postby Moliva » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Yes, I'm sensitive because I hate back seat drivers.

You realize we replaced the two sports we cut with another and will relocate the extra schollies to baseball, right?
Moliva

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board