St. John's 2015-2016 Roster??

The home for Big East hoops

Re: St. John's 2015-2016 Roster??

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:11 am

hortle wrote:How do schools get away with this crap. I remember when I was in high school looking at the eligibility requirements for NCAA D-1 athletes and I thought, 'how the hell could someone go through a four year high school curriculum without reaching these requirements'. It is astounding. Punish the school, not the kid. Any University would be more than willing to work out an academic program to get kids caught up if that's what it took for them to remain eligible.

Yeah, like UNC...let's get 'em caught up-quickly!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:18 pm

hortle wrote:How do schools get away with this crap. I remember when I was in high school looking at the eligibility requirements for NCAA D-1 athletes and I thought, 'how the hell could someone go through a four year high school curriculum without reaching these requirements'. It is astounding. Punish the school, not the kid. Any University would be more than willing to work out an academic program to get kids caught up if that's what it took for them to remain eligible.

I get what you're saying, but honestly which is more punishing to a kid? The NCAA stating that their school (most of the time these are prep schools that don't follow a state curriculum and do very little academically for those that attend) doesn't qualify and the courses they took are bogus, so the individual doesn't qualify? Or just letting an unprepared student enroll at a school that they're unprepared academically for, or to be put in a situation like UNC where they just try to keep them eligible without educating them? The NCAA has an eligibility center where you can look up schools to see if they have the necessary approved NCAA courses, whether the school is in an evaluation period or under investigation so you can make the right decision on where to go.

The problem is that most of the kids who are in these situations have essentially skated through life without having to work at school, so they and their families don't bother to do the research (and it doesn't take much) to figure out if the school they're sending their kid to so they can excel at basketball, football, etc. is going to put them in a position where they have to go to a different school for an extra year simply to get academically eligible. The school's at fault, no doubt about it, but the kids, and more importantly the people taking care of them are also to blame for not taking the 30 minutes to research the school they're going to beyond what the school's rep tells them.
Irishdawg

Postby hortle » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Irishdawg wrote:

I get what you're saying, but honestly which is more punishing to a kid? The NCAA stating that their school (most of the time these are prep schools that don't follow a state curriculum and do very little academically for those that attend) doesn't qualify and the courses they took are bogus, so the individual doesn't qualify? Or just letting an unprepared student enroll at a school that they're unprepared academically for, or to be put in a situation like UNC where they just try to keep them eligible without educating them? The NCAA has an eligibility center where you can look up schools to see if they have the necessary approved NCAA courses, whether the school is in an evaluation period or under investigation so you can make the right decision on where to go.

The problem is that most of the kids who are in these situations have essentially skated through life without having to work at school, so they and their families don't bother to do the research (and it doesn't take much) to figure out if the school they're sending their kid to so they can excel at basketball, football, etc. is going to put them in a position where they have to go to a different school for an extra year simply to get academically eligible. The school's at fault, no doubt about it, but the kids, and more importantly the people taking care of them are also to blame for not taking the 30 minutes to research the school they're going to beyond what the school's rep tells them.

good points, especially the one about the family doing research on a school. I am not trying to frame the kids as the ultimate victims. I just think there is a better punitive method than putting all of the blame on their shoulders. Our Savior should be the one answering to the NCAA - force them to correct the eligibility gaps in a summer school setting. Or push the responsibility onto the universities who admit these academically behind students(i know, i know - the track record for academic standards amongst big name D-1 schools is not the greatest atm). Once the University admits a student, IMO...they should be able to play. Recurring issues with academics should show up in annual APR stats so that's how you hold schools accountable for making sure their athletes are caught up academically.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, the student is not at fault for eligibility issues - unless they were just failing all their classes. Beyond that, It starts and ends with the school and their counselors who help students make their schedules. Especially for a school like Our Savior who had (3?) large profile D1 basketball players graduate this past year... making sure a student is eligible should be a standard operating procedure. If a school is graduating students that don't qualify to play D1 athletics...I would never send my kid there and I hope to God I'm not sending my state income tax to a school like that.
hortle

Postby OmahaGuy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Kassoum Yakwe is officially Queens-bound. Big get for the Johnnies. Now the question is will he play this season or next?
OmahaGuy

Postby stever20 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:18 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:Kassoum Yakwe is officially Queens-bound. Big get for the Johnnies. Now the question is will he play this season or next?

Looks like this year if he clears.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -st-johns/

It'll be interesting to see if him and Diallo with Kansas are cleared. Would kind of guess if 1 is cleared both are cleared.
stever20

Postby SJHooper » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Huge get for sure. ESPN top 100 kid, #56 on Rivals, consensus 4 star recruit who goes to school 45 minutes from St. John's. He is supposed to be a rebounding machine who can block shots and runs the floor well. This is not one of those recruits that is 3 star on some sites and 4 on others. The kid is legit and we beat out schools like Kansas and Oregon to get him.

This is Mullin's first ESPN 100 recruit and Shamorie Ponds is expected to be his 2nd. He is supposed to try to reclassify to 2015 to play this year but I can almost guarantee he won't qualify for this year and will be a 2016 recruit. So if we start off the class of 2016 with two 4 star ESPN 100 recruits that will be amazing.
SJHooper

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:51 am

SJHooper wrote:Huge get for sure. ESPN top 100 kid, #56 on Rivals, consensus 4 star recruit who goes to school 45 minutes from St. John's. He is supposed to be a rebounding machine who can block shots and runs the floor well. This is not one of those recruits that is 3 star on some sites and 4 on others. The kid is legit and we beat out schools like Kansas and Oregon to get him.

This is Mullin's first ESPN 100 recruit and Shamorie Ponds is expected to be his 2nd. He is supposed to try to reclassify to 2015 to play this year but I can almost guarantee he won't qualify for this year and will be a 2016 recruit. So if we start off the class of 2016 with two 4 star ESPN 100 recruits that will be amazing.

Just looking at 247 composite, which is a combo of all the sites-
Yawke is #117. http://247sports.com/Player/Kassoum-Yakwe-33656 He was #99 on ESPN.

he's actually in the composite about 25 slots lower than Lovett who St John's got last year:
http://247sports.com/Player/Kassoum-Yakwe-33656
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02 am

Just seeing St John's schedule released...
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stj ... hedule.pdf

Nov 13 Wagner
Nov 16 UMBC
Nov 19 Rutgers
Nov 23 vs Vanderbilt
Nov 24 vs Indiana/Wake Forest
Nov 25 Maui tourney
Dec 2 @ Fordham
Dec 6 St Francis (NY)
Dec 9 Niagara
Dec 13 Syracuse
Dec 18 Incarnate Word
Dec 20 NJIT
Dec 22 vs South Carolina

pretty tough schedule all in all. Will be lucky to come away from Maui without 2 losses, then with Syracuse and even South Carolina- got the makings for a pretty bumpy OOC schedule with such a new group.

Hopefully Fox isn't dumb and put the Syracuse/St John's game at MSG again at noon on an NFL Sunday. That was beyond moronic 2 years ago.
stever20

Postby Amase2 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 am

stever20 wrote:Just seeing St John's schedule released...
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stj ... hedule.pdf

pretty tough schedule all in all. Will be lucky to come away from Maui without 2 losses, then with Syracuse and even South Carolina- got the makings for a pretty bumpy OOC schedule with such a new group.

Hopefully Fox isn't dumb and put the Syracuse/St John's game at MSG again at noon on an NFL Sunday. That was beyond moronic 2 years ago.

Dont think its too tough of a schedule but I like it for a first year coach with a brand new team.

In regards to the cuse game, theres really no other time besides noon on a sunday that would work.
Amase2

Postby SJHooper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:37 pm

stever20 wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Huge get for sure. ESPN top 100 kid, #56 on Rivals, consensus 4 star recruit who goes to school 45 minutes from St. John's. He is supposed to be a rebounding machine who can block shots and runs the floor well. This is not one of those recruits that is 3 star on some sites and 4 on others. The kid is legit and we beat out schools like Kansas and Oregon to get him.

Just looking at 247 composite, which is a combo of all the sites-
Yawke is #117. http://247sports.com/Player/Kassoum-Yakwe-33656 He was #99 on ESPN.

he's actually in the composite about 25 slots lower than Lovett who St John's got last year:
http://247sports.com/Player/Kassoum-Yakwe-33656

I know your shtick is to try to bring SJU down a rung at any chance, but sorry he is a legit recruit ESPN100 Rivals #56 and is only getting better. We beat out Oregon to get him and Kansas had interest earlier. He won defensive MVP at the Nike AAU circuit he was in featuring some of the best players in the country. No one cares about composites. People look at Rivals and ESPN.
SJHooper

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board