FCOA WAR COMMENCES Cincinnati pays $7434 FCOA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UPDATE ON FCOA PAID PER SCHOOL

Postby robinreed » Mon May 25, 2015 5:56 am

WOW.....

University of Memphis establishes a FCOA of $5373.00 for this coming year (beginning in August.)

The $5373.00 is the third highest of any school which has thus far announced their FCOA. Almost all of the P5 have announced their numbers (all SEC, ACC, B10, B12 and almost all Pac12.) It seems even the second level football schools don't want to be left behind. Of course Memphis has a very decent basketball program (except for last year) but $5373 is unexpected.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Mon May 25, 2015 6:41 am

Memphis competes with SEC for players so they have to be competitive and everything I've seen is SEC paying the highest which is bizarre when you look at the locations of most of their campuses. Almost all of them are located in what is considered a college town not major metro areas featuring higher cost of living. Again just a guess but Knoxville might be the largest market and Tennessee doesn't have a high cost of living in/out of metro areas. I really don't know how schools will have success unless they're in this $neighborhood$ ( north of $4000 better be the $neighborhood$ IMHO).
BEwannabe

Postby robinreed » Fri May 29, 2015 8:22 am

Appalachian State University in NC has announced they will pay $5500.00 in FCOA beginning in August. I don't even know if they are Div 1a or 1aa.

I just checked they are 1a and in the Sun Belt.
robinreed

Postby BEwannabe » Fri May 29, 2015 10:11 am

too funny, the schools whose name is synonymous with poverty is at the upper tier on FCOA.
BEwannabe

Postby beltwaybluejay » Fri May 29, 2015 11:00 am

In a recent Washington Post article by Will Hobson Georgetown A D L. Reed stated that only basketball would receive stipends and that the "school's financial aid office estimates the amount at about $2,600."
beltwaybluejay

Postby DudeAnon » Fri May 29, 2015 11:10 am

beltwaybluejay wrote:In a recent Washington Post article by Will Hobson Georgetown A D L. Reed stated that only basketball would receive stipends and that the "school's financial aid office estimates the amount at about $2,600."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spor ... -spend-on/

Yikes, I hope he means per semester.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby beltwaybluejay » Fri May 29, 2015 11:53 am

Everything else in the art. seem to be slanted towards yearly amounts.
beltwaybluejay

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm

First of all I wonder if there's any accountability with the FCOA. Is there a way for the NCAA to check to make sure the amount schools are paying is actually what it should be based on what a student would need in addition to the money the scholarship covers to attend the school? What's to stop the FCOA from becoming a bidding war?

Second is there any variation in what scholarships can legally cover in terms of costs as it is? Like could one school's scholarship include the school's meal plan, but another school's doesn't? Could things like that play into the variations we're seeing in FCOA? It always boggled my mind with the whole Shabazz I go to sleep hungry some nights because I assume players get meal plans so have access to the cafeteria so there's no reason they should go hungry ever. It's also college there's free and cheap food every where.

Thirdly, I firmly believe that the type of kids who are choosing Georgetown aren't going to be swayed by a couple thousand dollars. The top tier recruits are interested in which school can make them Millions and aren't going to throw it away for some short term cash.
hoyahooligan

Postby marquette » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm

robinreed wrote:Appalachian State University in NC has announced they will pay $5500.00 in FCOA beginning in August. I don't even know if they are Div 1a or 1aa.

That makes sense. I imagine the cost of living for Boone, NC will run about $5k for four years. Wait, is that per year?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Jet915 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:25 pm

robinreed wrote:Appalachian State University in NC has announced they will pay $5500.00 in FCOA beginning in August. I don't even know if they are Div 1a or 1aa.

It will be interesting how long lower tier football schools can continue this. As we've seen in the other thread, only the top 30 or so teams actually make money without subsidies. Teams like app state rely heavily on subsidies and now they are gonna give each student an extra 5k? Dont see this lasting for bery long....
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board