FCOA WAR COMMENCES Cincinnati pays $7434 FCOA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: FCOA WAR COMMENCES - Alabama vs. Auburn

Postby robinreed » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Bill Koch, a Cincinnati sportswriter has written an article on FCOA for the University of Cincinnati. If his report is true UC will be paying "up to" $7434 in FCOA annually. I still have not heard our FCOA (XU) but I strongly suspect it will not be in this range. Really both schools are in the same city less than 5 miles from each other there seems no justification for this disparity. UC will pay FCOA for all scholarship athletes which will cost about $1.1 mm per year. The article suggests that the UC payments will be greater than Kentucky, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia, Notre Dame and Purdue and amongst the top 5 for 10 in the nation.

I am liking FCOA less and less. Actually I never liked it much

July 7, 2015

By Bill Koch

CINCINNATI – When the five power conferences voted in January to approve the concept of providing student-athletes a cost-of-attendance supplement, there was some concern that other leagues with fewer financial resources might not be able to keep up financially.

But the University of Cincinnati will not only keep pace with the so-called power conferences, it could be among the nation’s leaders in how much it will provide its student-athletes to help them cover expenses not previously included in their athletic scholarships.

According to senior associate athletic director Maggie McKinley, UC is expected to be among the top 10 schools in the country – and possibly the top five - in how much it will provide its student-athletes. That’s not because the school is trying to outspend other schools, McKinley said, but because the actual cost of getting an education at UC is calculated based on federal Department of Education guidelines used by financial aid offices throughout the country.

The amount of money will not be the same for every student-athlete. It depends on many factors that make up the actual cost of attendance. UC’s figure for 2015-16 will be between $4,320 and $7,434 annually, which would be higher than Kentucky, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia, Notre Dame and Purdue, according to figures taken from athleticscholarships.net.

The total cost to UC could be as high as $1.1 million per year, with cost of attendance scholarships beginning in the 2015-16 school year for student-athletes in football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, women’s volleyball and women’s tennis, which offer only full scholarships.
robinreed

Re: FCOA WAR COMMENCES - Alabama vs. Auburn

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: FCOA WAR COMMENCES Cincinnati pays $7434 FCOA

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 am

I guess UC is going all in to get a P5 invite.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:08 am

like I said.... wild wild west. And I think it's going to get wilder, not less wild.
stever20

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 pm

VCU will be paying $4200 per scholarship athlete (all sports).

Dayton is paying $1250 per basketball athlete (female and male)

UMass will be paying $1600 per scholarship.

Don't know of other A10 schools.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:VCU will be paying $4200 per scholarship athlete (all sports).

Wow huge gap there.

What's amazing- Fordham at least back in January was looking at 2700-2800 per person.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2342 ... dance-vote

If Fordham is double what you are paying- WOW.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:VCU will be paying $4200 per scholarship athlete (all sports).

Sources?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:07 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

Sources?

VCU: http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 39556.html

UMas: http://www.gazettenet.com/sports/umasss ... ball-teams

Dayton: http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/s ... 487.735787
Gopher+RamFan

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

Sources?

VCU: http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 39556.html

UMas: http://www.gazettenet.com/sports/umasss ... ball-teams

Dayton: http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/s ... 487.735787

Thanks. Its crazy the variance in this stuff. Compare the cost of VCU vs the cost to Dayton.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:25 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Thanks. Its crazy the variance in this stuff. Compare the cost of VCU vs the cost to Dayton.

Agreed, I am dumbfounded by Dayton's number. VCU is clearly trying to make a statement (along with the $25 million practice facility opening in 2 months) to either remain the top of the A10 or make a push to the Big East. Schools looking to move are paying up big (I think liberty announced all athletes in their 20 sports will receive FCOA of $3,000 as they're looking to move to an FBS conference).

I know VCU had a quick fundraiser to cover the additional FCOA costs, but they also signed a Learfield Sports contract that guarantees VCU Athletics $2 million a year for the next decade. Other A10 programs have agreements but haven't published the numbers, Georgetown's newly signed contract w/ FS will get them between $1 and $3 million/year based on performance. VCU has set itself up to be able to spend much more athletically (also saving about $1.5 million a year due to Shaka leaving).
Gopher+RamFan

Postby robinreed » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:47 am

Does anyone have the numbers for the Big East on FCOA?

I have only found 2 schools who have given their amounts. It is upon us in August all of the FCOA amounts should be public by now. No one else is keeping them secret. Is this just bad communication by the BE or bad research skills on my part?

Please list amounts if you have them.
robinreed

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board