FCOA WAR COMMENCES Cincinnati pays $7434 FCOA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: FCOA WAR COMMENCES Cincinnati pays $7434 FCOA

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:42 am

"According to senior associate athletic director Maggie McKinley, UC is expected to be among the top 10 schools in the country – and possibly the top five - in how much it will provide its student-athletes. That’s not because the school is trying to outspend other schools, McKinley said, but because the actual cost of getting an education at UC is calculated based on federal Department of Education guidelines used by financial aid offices throughout the country.

The amount of money will not be the same for every student-athlete. It depends on many factors that make up the actual cost of attendance. UC’s figure for 2015-16 will be between $4,320 and $7,434 annually, which would be higher than Kentucky, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia, Notre Dame and Purdue, according to figures taken from athleticscholarships.net."

From the article posted above.

Are we perhaps misreading the numbers being put out there. The article implies:

1) That schools aren't making up these numbers that they're based on set guidelines.
2) There's a variance for how much a school will give individual players and there seems to be a huge discrepancy even within a school the amount of money given out.

So is it possible that schools really aren't just deciding to pay whatever they want in order to be competitive or not? Are there actually guidelines schools have to follow? Are some schools perhaps just posting the largest number any student will get to sound impressive, but most students will get much less than that? Is it based on the financial needs of that student?

Maybe I missed it, but I'd be interested in seeing what blue bloods like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke are paying. If they're not spending a lot on this, that tells me a lot.

I'd also love to hear recruit's feelings on FCOA. I still don't believe it will as big a deal as some doomsayers believe.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:18 am

where I think the problem will be though- if Cincy is offering 7434 and Xavier in the same city is going to be at 2800, that's going to be a huge difference. Over 5 years- assuming a redshirt year- Cincy would be at 37,170 and Xavier would be at 14,000. That's a very real difference.

I think while schools like Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke will still get anyone they want if they didn't offer a huge FCOA doesn't mean that it's a meaningless thing. There's a huge difference between Kansas, Kentucky, Duke not offering a huge FCOA and other schools not offering a huge FCOA.

I think where it's going to impact things- you have a kid who is torn between lets just say Cincy and Dayton. Cincy offering 7434 per year. Dayton offering 1250 per year. You don't think that difference would matter at all? Of course it will.
stever20

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:31 am

hoyahooligan wrote:"According to senior associate athletic director Maggie McKinley, UC is expected to be among the top 10 schools in the country – and possibly the top five - in how much it will provide its student-athletes. That’s not because the school is trying to outspend other schools, McKinley said, but because the actual cost of getting an education at UC is calculated based on federal Department of Education guidelines used by financial aid offices throughout the country.

The amount of money will not be the same for every student-athlete. It depends on many factors that make up the actual cost of attendance. UC’s figure for 2015-16 will be between $4,320 and $7,434 annually, which would be higher than Kentucky, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia, Notre Dame and Purdue, according to figures taken from athleticscholarships.net."

From the article posted above.

Are we perhaps misreading the numbers being put out there. The article implies:

1) That schools aren't making up these numbers that they're based on set guidelines.
2) There's a variance for how much a school will give individual players and there seems to be a huge discrepancy even within a school the amount of money given out.

So is it possible that schools really aren't just deciding to pay whatever they want in order to be competitive or not? Are there actually guidelines schools have to follow? Are some schools perhaps just posting the largest number any student will get to sound impressive, but most students will get much less than that? Is it based on the financial needs of that student?

Maybe I missed it, but I'd be interested in seeing what blue bloods like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke are paying. If they're not spending a lot on this, that tells me a lot.

I'd also love to hear recruit's feelings on FCOA. I still don't believe it will as big a deal as some doomsayers believe.

I've been wondering how much this would affect recruits' decisions. I don't think looking at Duke and UK's spending will show you much - they could offer recruits $0 and still get some 5 stars. They have the proven success of taking those 4 and 5 stars and turning them into NBA draft and lotto picks. What will be interesting to see are those schools grouped right below the blue bloods, as I'm sure they'll post their numbers for positioning within their group (e.g. UCONN outspending UVA etc...)

Schools can certainly offer different FCOAs for different students. Some institutions are offering more money for football and basketball, and spending less on non-revenue athletes. The "range" is probably for that purpose. VCU (using them, since that's what I Know) is offering the same amount for each scholarship athlete. You'll see in my previous post here, Dayton has outlined $1250 per basketball player (male and female) but didn't expand on other sports. Some programs are only paying their basketball athletes.

I don't think FCOAs will matter to those athletes who think they'll be first round picks (Uk, Duke players etc...) but for those 4 stars and occasional 5 star it could sway their decision when two schools are similar in other aspects. Honestly, if I was 18 and offered $4k instead of $1k to play basketball, that would factor heavily into my decision. That's probably more money than most of these kids have seen in their lives (unfortunately).
Gopher+RamFan

Postby robinreed » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:56 am

I'd also love to hear recruit's feelings on FCOA. I still don't believe it will as big a deal as some doomsayers believe.[/quote]

Hoya, these are the amounts you inquired about.
KENTUCKY - $2300
KANSAS - $3100
DUKE - $2200

I do believe the amount of FCOA for most schools will significantly impact recruiting. If the major schools did not believe it why would Alabama, finding they were being outspent on FCOA by Auburn, significantly increase its amount so they could make a better offer to recruits than their in state rival?

I do believe it will be slightly less important with private schools who have made a name for themselves in BB. Schools such as Syracuse, Duke, Nova, Georgetown will be somewhat less effected, but not much less.
robinreed

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:54 pm

FCOA is not an entitlement program (ie; Social Security). It is a drummed up tidbit to ease the pressure brought about by the various lawsuits calling for NCAA and University revenue sharing and calling for payment of college athletes. Spend a million or 2 to avoid having to share $10s to $100s of millions in sports generated revenues.

Even if there is a formula to follow the Universities have a lot of latitude on who they can and will give stipends to. Football for sure. Basketball yes. Other sports? Well, that depends. FCOA is mandated for football and basketball.
Will marginal or rebuilding programs attempt to use it as a recruiting tool - of course. Buzz Wms, Bruce Pearl, Ben Howland, and others "will do whatever it takes" to retool-rebuild at their new digs. There are limits - only 13 scholies in men's hoops...gonna be difficult justifying $100K-$200K in FCOA to the men's team. The new cars, rental cars, shoes, clothes, summer job monies, drugs, booze, party slush funds, girls, computers, furniture, etc. will have to remain in the donors domains - just ask UNC Chapel Hill or Syracuse for advise on these aspects.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby robinreed » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:23 am

Florida International in C-USA will pay a FCOA of $6,000.00

Information from CUSA blog
robinreed

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board