Marquette

The home for Big East hoops

Marquette

Postby Hoyas » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:35 am

Saw this on ESPN:
Bucks announce $1B arena package
The development would include a 700,000-square-foot, 17,000-seat arena; 60,000-square-foot public plaza; and a state-of-the-art practice facility. It also calls for the the BMO Harris Bradley Center, current home of the Bucks, to be demolished.

How is this going to impact Marquette? Will they just move to the new arena I'm guessing?
Hoyas

Marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marquette

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:57 am

That is the plan, yes. There was/is no sense in the university ponying up several hundreds of millions of dollars for an on-campus basketball arena. The partnership with the Bucks is very strong, and it works for everyone involved.

With the Wojo hiring, Jabari Parker being drafted by the Bucks, and the Mayo brothers (Todd and O.J.), there has really been a strong partnership between Marquette and the NBA team. It has been really great for potential recruits and current players.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby MUPanther » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:38 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/ne ... nment.html

Marquette will be playing in the new arena, but most don't know if the Milwaukee Admirals (minor league hockey) who have been around since 1970 will be playing in the new arena.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Mufan15 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Here are some pictures of the plan for those interested...
Mufan15

Postby ivet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Did Nike design this? Kinda looks like an upside down Swoosh
ivet

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:28 pm

Mufan15 wrote:Here are some pictures of the plan for those interested...

Love the concept, but am I the only one who doesn't see that as looking anything like the actual area? Where's Turner Hall, MATC, The Panther Arena?

Also this looks really nice but with just MU, Admirals and the Bucks I feel they should probably get an NHL team there to or else they won't get a very good return on the investment.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Rum_Ham » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Of course the plan for a new arena in Milwaukee includes an adjacent beer garden haha
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Postby Mufan15 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Love the concept, but am I the only one who doesn't see that as looking anything like the actual area? Where's Turner Hall, MATC, The Panther Arena?

Also this looks really nice but with just MU, Admirals and the Bucks I feel they should probably get an NHL team there to or else they won't get a very good return on the investment.

The second picture does show the theater and MECA on the far left
Mufan15

Postby jfan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:53 pm

New arenas always seem to solidify attendance( not
that MU needs any help), but people like to see the new toy. Will beer be served? When was Bradley Center built?
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby marquette » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Bradley Center went up in 1988. It is the oldest un-renovated arena in the NBA. It was funded and the design was significantly influenced by a hockey fan, which is part of why a new, basketball focused arena, is needed.

The new arena is a block north of the current one. The BC will need to be torn down in order to accommodate the new development in the area. It looks like they are leaving the Panther arena and MECCA alone.

It is pretty exciting the investment both Marquette and the Bucks are making in the downtown area. There is a joint venture underway between the two, in addition to the arena which MU is not investing in, for a sports science research facility. Marquette also just acquired a new lot adjacent to campus and I will be interested to hear what the university plans for it.

Recent on court failings aside it is an exciting time for MU fans.
Last edited by marquette on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board