ESPN Early top 25

The home for Big East hoops

ESPN Early top 25

Postby Hoyas » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:47 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... all-season

6. Villanova Wildcats
Don't forget just how good Villanova was. Sure, it's tempting -- even coach Jay Wright admitted that the Wildcats' second straight first-weekend tournament loss, this time as a No. 1 seed, would "define" the outside world's impression of his program. But still: Nova was a buzz saw in 2014-15, a team that spent two-plus months relentlessly shredding one of the nation's deepest conferences (the Big East) and -- even with departures to account for -- it's not hard to picture a similar level of performance in the season to come. Darrun Hilliard II and JayVaughn Pinkston leave massive holes to fill, and the unexpected April transfer of guard Dylan Ennis added another. But co-Big East Player of the Year Ryan Arcidiacono is back, along with starters Josh Hart and Daniel Ochefu and immensely promising sophomore wing Kris Jenkins. Meanwhile, Wright is adding an elite recruit to the mix: No. 2-ranked point guard Jalen Brunson. Villanova looks like one of the best, most versatile teams in the country once more -- no matter what happens next March.

20. Xavier Musketeers
The Musketeers have made a habit of Sweet 16 incursions in recent seasons. Their latest -- which ended with a hard-fought loss to Arizona -- set the table for an extended run of success. Replacing center Matt Stainbrook won't be easy, and not just because Stainbrook, a part-time Uber driver, looked less like a Division I athlete than your college dorm mate who spent way too much time on Reddit. He was also a brilliant low-post anchor on both ends of the floor. Meanwhile, senior point guard Dee Davis was a high-level distributor who quietly keyed much of the Musketeers' overall offensive success. But coach Chris Mack's returners are awfully good, too: Trevon Bluiett just completed the first of what projects to be a stellar four-year career; Myles Davis is a lethal outside-in scorer; center Jalen Reynolds looks more than capable of taking on Stainbrook's minutes; and former Indiana guard Remy Abell is in line for a major senior campaign. Xavier will miss the big fella. Heck, we all will. But Mack's well-coached bunch has a bright future ahead.

23. Providence Friars
Kris Dunn has a major decision to make. After Dunn became one of coach Ed Cooley's first major wins on the recruiting trail, two shoulder surgeries in three years hid Dunn's talent behind a never-ending rehabilitation. When he finally emerged in early December, he was the butterfly let free from its cocoon, his wings a transcendent gift for passing. Dunn led the nation in assist rate in 2014-15 -- exactly half of his possessions ended in assists -- and, as an athletic 6-3 guard who posted the nation's fourth-highest steals percentage, it's no wonder NBA draftniks see him as possible lottery pick. But he's not a guaranteed lottery pick, and another year spent working on his ballhandling and shooting could vault him into rarefied draft air. Then again, few players are as familiar with the cruelty of injury, and how comprehensively it can rob you of your game, and why risk it? Point is, what Dunn decides to do will change Providence's trajectory entirely. With him, Cooley may well have the best guard in the country, and ask Kevin Ollie how far one great guard can take you. Without Dunn, Providence might not crack this list.

pretty fair I'd say. Will be really interesting to see if Dunn stays.

Will be interesting for tomorrow- Lunardi does his initial bracketology for next year tomorrow.
Hoyas

ESPN Early top 25

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN Early top 25

Postby X Factor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:50 pm

X Factor

Postby Hoyas » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 pm

one thing very interesting- in both of these- Iowa St was in the top 5- #4 with ESPN and #2 with NBC. Going to be really interesting to see if those prospects impact the decision for Chieck- knowing they would be a final 4 favorite in what could easily be a 1 and done situation.
Hoyas

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Can't imagine Butler not being ranked given who they have coming back along with Lewis, the NC State transfer replacing Barlow.
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Hoyas wrote:one thing very interesting- in both of these- Iowa St was in the top 5- #4 with ESPN and #2 with NBC. Going to be really interesting to see if those prospects impact the decision for Chieck- knowing they would be a final 4 favorite in what could easily be a 1 and done situation.

While I understand your logic, Abdelmassah is gone and it's still freaking Ames Iowa.
Jet915

Postby Hoyas » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Hoyas wrote:one thing very interesting- in both of these- Iowa St was in the top 5- #4 with ESPN and #2 with NBC. Going to be really interesting to see if those prospects impact the decision for Chieck- knowing they would be a final 4 favorite in what could easily be a 1 and done situation.

While I understand your logic, Abdelmassah is gone and it's still freaking Ames Iowa.

The final 4 isn't played in Ames Iowa. What would be the best case scenario for St John's? Maybe a sweet 16 if things fell right? I understand what you are getting at, but being on a top 5 team with all that attention? Would be very tough to pass up.
Hoyas

Postby Hoyas » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17 pm

CBS out:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 25-and-one

Nova only team in at #11. Ouch.
Hoyas

Postby NJRedman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 am

Hoyas wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

The final 4 isn't played in Ames Iowa. What would be the best case scenario for St John's? Maybe a sweet 16 if things fell right? I understand what you are getting at, but being on a top 5 team with all that attention? Would be very tough to pass up.

A lot of people, myself included had Iowa st as a final four team this year. How did that work out again?
NJRedman

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 am

Jet915 wrote:Can't imagine Butler not being ranked given who they have coming back along with Lewis, the NC State transfer replacing Barlow.

Kameron Woods, the Big East's leading rebounder, is also gone. Barlow was enormously important to their success.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby milksteak » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:36 am

Xavier should be very, very good next year. They'll easily be in the Top 25 all season if Reynolds continues playing at a high level.

I understand both arguments for Butler. Defense and rebounding will take a pretty big hit, but its offense will be improved significantly. Holt is also trying to fill some holes in the roster in the off-season. Depth HOPEFULLY won't be an issue like it was this year.

Dunn's NBA decision absolutely determines Providence's fate next year.

Nova is Nova. They'll be great again.

Creighton intrigues me more than anyone else. Milliken played very well at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see if he can carry Creighton to the tourney.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board