WSJ: Most Valuable College Basketball Teams

The home for Big East hoops

Re: WSJ: Most Valuable College Basketball Teams

Postby marquette » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:02 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:I'm shocked SJU is #42…if I had to guess I'd guess like #150.

Considering the tv contract, ncaa unit revenue, and attendance of BE schools I'm not sure how you could place any BE team outside the top 100. 65 schools in the F5, 10 in the BE, 12 in the AAC, and a hand full of schools like BYU, gonzaga, Dayton. That's the competition.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 pm

billyjack wrote:I was pretty critical of Purnell and DePaul, and then my first reaction to hiring Leitao was disbelief and pessimism. But thinking it through over the past week, I've really warmed up to the hire.

I think next year DePaul can maybe grab an NIT bid. Actually, I'm thinking Leitao could have grabbed an NIT this past year, had he been the coach. This is a team that had the ability to beat Stanford by 15 under Oliver. They wouldn't have lost to Illinois State and wouldn't have sucked in Hawaii.

Also, i see DePaul as a program that will grow with snowball type momentum. With good OOC results next year, i can picture attendance really getting back to normal fast. It's a fanbase that is hungry and tired of being dumped on, and will support a solid, hard working team.

The thing with the NIT is it's such a crap shoot now. Let's say they beat Illinois St and go 2-1 in Hawaii. That's 3 more wins. Up to 15-15. Would have needed really 3-4 more wins to have much of a chance- got to remember the NIT had this year 12 automatic teams, with 10 being the 4 7 and 8 seeds and then 2 of the 6's. So only 20 automatic teams. So to get in the NIT now, you have to be in the top 70 to have really much of a chance. It's not how the NIT used to be where this year for instance, Seton Hall would have gotten in the NIT.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board