Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:54 am

I locked the earlier thread this morning and am requesting that all discussion of Big East expansion or other conference realignment discussion be kept here. Thank you.

-Admin
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby aughnanure » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:46 am

Add all the teams!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby cm5yz6 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:13 am

aughnanure wrote:Add all the teams!

Let's call the new conference something big and vague, something that encompasses the fact that we just take anyone, I'm thinking United States Athletic Conference... no no, American Athletic Conference, kind of catchy
cm5yz6

Postby ivet » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 am

cm5yz6 wrote:
aughnanure wrote:Add all the teams!

Let's call the new conference something big and vague, something that encompasses the fact that we just take anyone, I'm thinking United States Athletic Conference... no no, American Athletic Conference, kind of catchy

oh man...dont do that, admins gonna have a heck of a time deleting post.
ivet

Postby Hoyas » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:04 am

Take this with a grain of salt but there is a rumor that the Marshall deal with Wichita requires a change of conference.

Normally I wouldn't believe it, but this is so important to Wichita that it could make some sense.
Hoyas

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 am

Hoyas wrote:Take this with a grain of salt but there is a rumor that the Marshall deal with Wichita requires a change of conference.

Normally I wouldn't believe it, but this is so important to Wichita that it could make some sense.

A-10 or American, both are lateral moves overall IMO if u look at TV money and travel for all sports.
Jet915

Postby butlerguy03 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:02 am

Jet915 wrote:
Hoyas wrote:Take this with a grain of salt but there is a rumor that the Marshall deal with Wichita requires a change of conference.

A-10 or American, both are lateral moves overall IMO if u look at TV money and travel for all sports.

Except, adding Wichita & some other team adds quite a bit of value to either conference, especially the A-10.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby BEwannabe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:09 am

butlerguy03 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Except, adding Wichita & some other team adds quite a bit of value to either conference, especially the A-10.

Shockers to A10 would be interesting. Rumor is Fordham won't join the pay for play movement. I know UD would be supportive as their focus on recruiting students is west, south and southwest ( not necessarily in that order). And I'm sure Espn would be pumping the move.
BEwannabe

Postby Hoyas » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 am

Fordham back to the Patriot or the MAAC then?

If I'm the A10 a Wichita for Fordham trade I'm like where do I sign up.
Hoyas

Postby Xudash » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:36 am

Hoyas wrote:Fordham back to the Patriot or the MAAC then?

If I'm the A10 a Wichita for Fordham trade I'm like where do I sign up.

Absolutely.

It's a shame that the A10 could never get itself to be forceful enough to implement and enforce strong standards for program management. Fordham and LaSalle, in particular (and that includes LaSalle's little bit of success not long ago) have been major drags on that conference. Duquesne also has been unable to pull itself up. That conference has always refused to address its deadwood. I understand that a certain amount of loyalty is warranted and I understand that relationships of this kind are entered into for long terms. But I also understand that there should always be a quid pro quo: if you are granted membership, there should be a clear understanding of an obligation on your part to maintain certain membership standards. That conference has been terrible in managing itself on that basis, and the administrations of some of its programs are terribly unaligned when it comes to building successful athletic departments - unaligned, incompetent, under funded or some combination of the above.

The A10 has taken a number of hits in terms of losing key programs over the years. If the A10 could remix itself, it would find itself in a much more sustainable position, though its TV money would still lag seriously regardless.
XAVIER
Xudash

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board