Chris Mullin new head coach of St. John's!

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Mullin new head coach of St. John's!

Postby R Jay » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:50 am

Red Rooster wrote:
R Jay wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
Keith Thomas no, Adonis yes but not sure about his redshirt status

Didn't Adonis play a little bit in conference when Obekpa was sitting out? If so I believe he loses his redshirt because he played in the second half of the season.

Adonis only played in an exhibition game. He never played in the regular season. You're probably thinking about Adonis' brother, Joey. Adonis is a much better prospect than his older brother.

Ah. Gotcha. Than yes, Adonis should have redshirted this year.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UD FAN » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:37 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:
MUPanther wrote:I've hearing the talk all week on Sirius and CBSSN, if St. John's is even a good job. I hear people talk about the dorms not the same as back in the glory days. What does that mean? What's this dorm issue?

They had Masiello on and when asked on ESPN New York radio if SJU was still a good job, he said it was a "great job" and almost laughed at the question. It shows the perception is still strong (maybe not how it was in 1985 but still strong) among coaches. We are the only major NYC college hoops program.

There are rumors that they are now targeting Iowa State's assistant coach or Slice from Kentucky for recruiting help. Obviously good people will come for Mullin. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that excitement? Mullin is an old-school guy. Hardened Brooklyn kid who understands NYC and the expectations. He will make SJU more NYC than it's been in a long time (Lavin had no connection). He adds prestige and tradition. As for recruiting, I'm not worried. The name does wonders alone, then just imagine him sitting in a kid's house talking about playing alongside Jordan on the 1992 dream team or being inducted into the HOF. The guy is just money.

This is a risk (albeit a calculated one) but it can just be the risk we need to get back as a national power. Chris Mullin is already trending on twitter in the NYC area with experts praising the decision.

I agree.

Mullin's name screams Big East at its finest. His name alone will open the door with high school coaches and AAU coaches. He will be able to say to recruits, "I played here, and I made it from here to the NBA and the Hall of Fame. I can do the same for you."

Agree, solid hire and hopes that Chris Mullin will help St. John's short and long term! I give the guy a lot of credit for taking on this job! It would have been a lot easier to stay out west in the same gig's he was working but St. John's meant more to him! Says a lot about him IMHO. He sure must love his alma mater!
UD FAN

Postby NJRedman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:51 pm

R Jay wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
R Jay wrote:Didn't Adonis play a little bit in conference when Obekpa was sitting out? If so I believe he loses his redshirt because he played in the second half of the season.

Adonis only played in an exhibition game. He never played in the regular season. You're probably thinking about Adonis' brother, Joey. Adonis is a much better prospect than his older brother.

Ah. Gotcha. Than yes, Adonis should have redshirted this year.

I don't he could red shirt since he was ineligible. I don't think he loses a year since he wasn't eligible.
NJRedman

Postby lolhoya » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:09 pm

It's early, but Mullin looks like he might be an animal on the recruiting trail. Would be great for the conference.
lolhoya

Postby Jet915 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:26 pm

lolhoya wrote:It's early, but Mullin looks like he might be an animal on the recruiting trail. Would be great for the conference.

He just needs one big time recruit (either Diallo or Damion Lee) and I think others will follow.
Jet915

Postby NovaBall » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Cheick Diallo going to commit to St. John's?

Johnnies stealing rawle alkins from nova?
NovaBall

Postby SecureDaBall » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 pm

The rumors are flying fast and furious here at the Final Four, with some folks believing it’s already “done” that Rohrssen will join Mullin’s staff and help to revive St. John’s, and others saying they can’t imagine Rohrssen leaving Kentucky, where he reportedly earns a base salary of $375,000 and more with bonuses. His contract reportedly runs through June 2016 and he must notify Calipari if he intends to leave for another job.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentuckys- ... ore-132371

Not sure if anyone posted this but it seems Slice coming is much more of a possibility than I thought. I am still reluctant to call the Mullin hire a slam dunk but if Abdelmassih, Slice, and Pinckney is his coaching staff I was totally wrong. I still can't be as optimistic as some Johnnies fans because the perpetual bad hires since St Lou retiring has beaten down my fandom but I am definitely over being negative about Mullin.
SecureDaBall

Postby bostonfriar » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:34 am

I believe the dorm issue is when Lou coached players were allowed a housing $ allowance where the players could share apartments and keep $ beyond rent.

Once dorms were built this could no longer be done.
bostonfriar

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:27 am

NovaBall wrote:Cheick Diallo going to commit to St. John's?

If Eric Paschall transfers to Villanova, look for Jay to back off Alkins. Too many 6'4" to 6'6" guys playing the same position at Villanova. Villanova needs to focus on getting another big to play with Omari Spellman.

Regardless, Mullin is a homerun for St. John's. Guy is making all the right moves. St. John's is going to be a monster. This is not an opinion, this is a fact.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:36 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:
NovaBall wrote:Cheick Diallo going to commit to St. John's?

If Eric Paschall transfers to Villanova, look for Jay to back off Alkins. Too many 6'4" to 6'6" guys playing the same position at Villanova. Villanova needs to focus on getting another big to play with Omari Spellman.

Regardless, Mullin is a homerun for St. John's. Guy is making all the right moves. St. John's is going to be a monster. This is not an opinion, this is a fact.

Mullin has really hit the ground running. He seems to be on every NY recruit like flies on . . . And he hasn't wasted any time assembling a staff either.

Interesting comment from Mike Francesa last week. He said it's his understanding that St. John's was planning to bring Lavin back and that they were in negotiations to extend his contract until Mullin expressed interest in the job. Apparently the job was always Mullin's if he wanted it at any point. He just had to say when. Once he did, it was his. Apparently there was never any thought of giving it to anyone else.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board