Chris Mullin new head coach of St. John's!

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Steve Lavin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:10 pm

YESSSSS! Huge for us and conference!
Steve Lavin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Chris Mullin new head coach of St. John's!

Postby Xudash » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Some insights please.

It's great to bring a name and hero back to campus, but what has he been doing and how do you see him building it back up?
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:33 pm

He wouldn't have been my choice, but his stature is still a big plus for the program. Loved him as a player, so I hope that for all concerned, he succeeds.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby Steve Lavin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Thinking seems to be that the school will arm Mullin with a good recruiter (Slice from UK who he is close with) and a good assistant (rumors of an Iona assistant possibly). Also, the feeling is that the school's boosters will pour money in to support the Mullin hire.

This is fantastic news for the conference guys. I was scared after DePaul made a weird choice that we would get some random guy too.
Steve Lavin

Postby Rum_Ham » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:37 pm

He will need to have a great supporting staff but this hire will definitely energize the city and the fan base, so basically the opposite of Depaul's hire.
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Postby MUPanther » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:41 pm

I've been hearing the talk all week on Sirius and CBSSN, if St. John's is even a good job. I hear people talk about the dorms not the same as back in the glory days. What does that mean? What's this dorm issue?
Last edited by MUPanther on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:41 pm

As a fan of the NBA this is awesome. Mullins is one of the greatest players of all time and seems to be very smart about the game.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:43 pm

MUPanther wrote:I've hearing the talk all week on Sirius and CBSSN, if St. John's is even a good job. I hear people talk about the dorms not the same as back in the glory days. What does that mean? What's this dorm issue?

There were no dorms back in the glory days, which basically allowed them to pay players like Mullin with stipends while they lived at home.
Bill Marsh

Postby Steve Lavin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:54 pm

MUPanther wrote:I've hearing the talk all week on Sirius and CBSSN, if St. John's is even a good job. I hear people talk about the dorms not the same as back in the glory days. What does that mean? What's this dorm issue?

They had Masiello on and when asked on ESPN New York radio if SJU was still a good job, he said it was a "great job" and almost laughed at the question. It shows the perception is still strong (maybe not how it was in 1985 but still strong) among coaches. We are the only major NYC college hoops program.

There are rumors that they are now targeting Iowa State's assistant coach or Slice from Kentucky for recruiting help. Obviously good people will come for Mullin. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that excitement? Mullin is an old-school guy. Hardened Brooklyn kid who understands NYC and the expectations. He will make SJU more NYC than it's been in a long time (Lavin had no connection). He adds prestige and tradition. As for recruiting, I'm not worried. The name does wonders alone, then just imagine him sitting in a kid's house talking about playing alongside Jordan on the 1992 dream team or being inducted into the HOF. The guy is just money.

This is a risk (albeit a calculated one) but it can just be the risk we need to get back as a national power. Chris Mullin is already trending on twitter in the NYC area with experts praising the decision.
Steve Lavin

Postby Jet915 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:56 pm

Is this official? I like this hire. Needs to get some good assistants though. Will definitely bring some excitement to the program unlike that other program and their hire....
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board