Chris Holtmann contacted by Tennessee

The home for Big East hoops

Postby movemento » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:13 pm

This would sure suck to lose an up and coming coach to a junk P5 school.
movemento

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Chris Holtmann contacted by Tennessee

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:37 pm

The rule of high-D1 coaching is that you always listen to serious programs (major conference programs with some success in the past). Maybe you can find better job security or better pay (or both). Maybe you you find appealing what they're trying to do there. Or maybe you can just use it as negotiating power for back home.

I hope it's the last option.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby MUPanther » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Jeff Goodman said, look for Rick Barnes to be in the mix at Tennessee.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:07 pm

I sure hope that Holtmann stays. If he leaves, Butler will begin to look like a revolving door with 4 different coaches in 4 years.
Bill Marsh

Postby micgoG'town » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Has Brad Stevens had enough of the NBA?
micgoG'town

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Rumor has it that Tennessee is willing to offer him 5 years and $12.5M. If true, I could hardly blame him for wanting to leave. That's great money and security for his family. However, he was out in Ohio tonight recruiting, so if he was talking with them, it is in the very preliminary stages. Other than him being truly interested in the job, it's not a bad move for him to get some additional money on his deal too since I'm sure the initial contract that was drawn up probably wasn't all that impressive for him.

4 coaches in 4 years would have to be some kind of record though if something does go down. I'm sure this is exactly what the Big East envisioned when they invited Butler into the conference.
Irishdawg

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:33 am

Irishdawg wrote:Rumor has it that Tennessee is willing to offer him 5 years and $12.5M. If true, I could hardly blame him for wanting to leave. That's great money and security for his family. However, he was out in Ohio tonight recruiting, so if he was talking with them, it is in the very preliminary stages. Other than him being truly interested in the job, it's not a bad move for him to get some additional money on his deal too since I'm sure the initial contract that was drawn up probably wasn't all that impressive for him.

4 coaches in 4 years would have to be some kind of record though if something does go down. I'm sure this is exactly what the Big East envisioned when they invited Butler into the conference.

There is every indication that Holtmann likes the job at Butler. I hope he thinks this one through.

In the words of Mark Few, "Why mess with happy?" Sixteen years later, Few is still relevant at Gonzaga and still has a long career in front of him. He is well paid. The coaching highway is littered with bodies of hot coaches who went for the quick buck, but who got in over their heads too quickly while Few just keeps rolling along. Butler is a good place to work. I often wonder why coaches entertain self-destructive fantasies when they already have a good thing going.

Holtmann's come up into public awareness very quickly. If he falls on his face at Tennessee, he could be looking for a job as an assistant somewhere since his resume will be very thin otherwise. There could be a lot of benefit to staying where his is for a while and establishing his credentials for 5-6 years. Where is Todd Lichliter today?
Bill Marsh

Postby Chalmers0 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 am

micgoG'town wrote:Has Brad Stevens had enough of the NBA?

No
Chalmers0

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:57 am

It's one thing to move to a P5 basketball program (more $$$, security, exposure), but it is completely another thing to want to go to a school like Tennessee who has had 5 coaches in the past 15 seasons, including what will be three coaches in three consecutive seasons.

Tennessee is a football school, first and foremost. It has had extremely questionable circumstances with its head coaches (Pearl - major recruiting violations, Martin - pushed out despite a Sweet 16 appearance, Tyndall - major recruiting violations at previous school when hired). The program doesn't exactly scream long-term stability. Between Tyndall, Kiffin, Dooley, and Martin, Tennessee really hadn't hired the "right fit" for basketball and football. They seem to have hired the right guy in Butch Jones, but time will tell.

I'm not shocked Holtmann would be interested in a power conference position. I'm shocked he would be interested in a program like Tennessee's.
GoldenWarrior11

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board