Welcome Creighton, SLU, Dayton!

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Welcome Creighton, SLU, Dayton!

Postby Dew » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm gonna throw back a cold one in your honors. Congrats!
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mel ott » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 am

I hope it is true. There are a lot of statements out there, but I hope the majority are correct. I am a Creighton alum, with children that have gradated from Creighton and St Louis. I sure hope these reports are correct. I think it will be great for the existing Cath 7 , the necwcomers (us) and make a post college age dream ofmine come true---- to continue to play at the top level with schools I remember ( CU played Marquette and De Paul every year in the old days (mid 70's) when I was at schol- they were the best of days). I can't wait to continue the rivalries.
mel ott

Postby DeltaV » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 am

The fee to leave the A10 faster than one year is two million, yes? I wonder if the conference, or Fox, was willing to pay for Xavier and Butler, two of the expected heavy hitters, but not other 'less valuable' (no offense intended) teams.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 am

I will exhale when I hear something from the C7. Tuesday maybe? Holding my breath til then - wish me luck.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby sandw04 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:28 am

ESPN seems to be getting the scoop on all of this. I'm not sold on the accuracy, but one thing does seem clear: things are going rapidly and barring unexpected obstacles, the C7/Big East will be in action next year. As a DePaul fan I am looking forward to renewing old rivalries and I really hope some DePaul starts to ratchet up several notches and becomes competitive.
sandw04

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:33 pm

InRickWeTrust wrote:SLU fans will feel much better once everything is official

No kiddin right now its a mix of the feeling or right before christmas and chicken little... i'm sure most of the other prospective schools are the same... I'd hate to say it Creighton and Richmond have less to loose. For SLU or Dayton it would be crushing to the fans not to get in and to be stuck in the remnants of a east coast focused A-10.
BillEsq

Postby Ball Turret Gunner » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 am

Dayton fan here. Not sure what is going on in terms of our inclusion or exclusion. I don't like the uncertainty that might surround the situation for months or even possibly a few years. I dislike the thought of playing in a watered-down A10 even less.
Ball Turret Gunner

Postby cr8onbb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 am

Creighton alum here. First off, thanks for the site. The Jays boards are definitely aware of it, probably mostly lurkers for now but I would guess that may change when there is an official announcement, hopefully Tuesday. Creighton fans are definitely excited about the prospects forthwith Big East, assuming the reports this week are accurate. You are right that we would probably have less to lose if our invite never materializes because our position in the MVC has done us just fine over the years. However, moving to a basketball first conference with like minded schools would be a dream come true for many of us. I remember 10+ years ago in college talking with friends about how cool it would be to organize a preseason tournament with other Catholic schools. I guess I was too shortsighted to imagine the possibility we could some day form a conference and get to play each other on a regular basis. I am thrilled that this is sounding like it will become reality and look forward to establishing healthy new rivalries.
cr8onbb

Postby TrueBlueJay » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 pm

I've been lurking on the board a bit for a while, finally signed up and am hoping Creighton is playing in the Big East next season. Good,luck to all of the BE and possible BE teams the rest of the season and in the tourney.
TrueBlueJay

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board