Tyler Harris transferring from PC

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello

Providence's Tyler Harris will graduate this semester and transfer elsewhere for his final season of eligibility.
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Tyler Harris transferring from PC

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 pm

What's going on at PC?

2nd transfer in 2 years by a player who has been a core member of the team. Players usually leave due to lack of playing time or some similar dissatisfaction. Fortune last year and Harris this year were both core members of successful teams. What gives?
Bill Marsh

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Not really shocking since he participated in Senior Night activities and everything. I see this as a good thing for PC though, more playing time for young guys next year in a rebuilding year (this is of course assuming Dunn leaves). Never was all that impressed by Harris either though to be honest.
Chalmers0

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Yes, Harris leaving was expected.
He will earn his degree as a senior this Spring.
He had transferred from NC State so sat out a year.
There's a good chance he'll play in Europe next year.
Tyler was a big part of our success the last 2 years.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:01 pm

billyjack wrote:Yes, Harris leaving was expected.

So, he's done with college basketball and there's no expectation that he'll play elsewhere in college?
Bill Marsh

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:

So, he's done with college basketball and there's no expectation that he'll play elsewhere in college?

Hi Bill!
Yes, from what I've been reading, Harris is probably going overseas. Nothing official yet and not 100%.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:26 pm

billyjack wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Hi Bill!
Yes, from what I've been reading, Harris is probably going overseas. Nothing official yet and not 100%.

Thanks, Billy Jack. I appreciate the insight.

I like Harris a lot. I remember all those clutch shots he made last year on the way to the BE tournament championship. I also appreciate how he accepted the role as 6th man this year without complaining. I thought his reward would be to become the center piece of next year's team.

As I look at a possible starting lineup for next year if Dunn leaves, I see:

C - Chukwu
PF - Bentil
SF - ???
SG - Lindsey
PG - Cartwright

Harris would have been the missing piece. Deep recruiting class coming in next year, but AFAIK, no elite talent to step in and start as a freshman. Very young.
Bill Marsh

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Thanks, Billy Jack. I appreciate the insight.

I like Harris a lot. I remember all those clutch shots he made last year on the way to the BE tournament championship. I also appreciate how he accepted the role as 6th man this year without complaining. I thought his reward would be to become the center piece of next year's team.

C - Chukwu
PF - Bentil
SF - ???
SG - Lindsey
PG - Cartwright

Harris would have been the missing piece. Deep recruiting class coming in next year, but AFAIK, no elite talent to step in and start as a freshman. Very young.

Hey Bill...!
Right, there could be some holes next year without Harris, and if Dunn goes to the NBA.

In your scenario:
I think the 3 would go to Rodney Bullock, who should be ready by the Fall.
Bullock is a scorer, bruiser, rebounder from what I understand, and can also play the 4.

Of the incoming freshman:
Ricky Council will be a great SG.
Drew Edwards can score but I think is more skilled at PG.
Ryan Fazekas is a great shooting SF.
Alex Owens is a talented Bentil-type PF.
Side note: Owens recently tore his knee and probably won't be ready til December.

The Friars will be young.
Dunn and Lomomba will be juniors, and with Harris leaving we won't have any seniors.

Am I forgetting anyone?
Providence
billyjack

Postby warriorfan4life » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Really hoping that Dunn stays, as I am very high on the remaining parts of that roster and believe that is a potential top 10-15 team with Dunn. Regardless of Dunn's decision, I think Providence could use a grad transfer wing/forward. The Friars freshman class could be sneaky good, but I would not want to bank on all of them being key parts of the rotation (think Council is probably the most ready of the group). If Dunn leaves, add in a search for a grad transfer point guard (Anthony Collins could be a fit there).

Harris was really good two years ago, but frankly a disappointment this year. Lindsey and especially Bentil beat him out for minutes and reduced his role (when it should expanded into being the third option behind Henton and Dunn). If Harris is having a better year, Henton may not have put up 23 shots in the Dayton loss. It was no secret that Harris was done with Providence after this season, and honestly he played like someone with one foot out the door already.
Marquette
warriorfan4life

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 pm

billyjack wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Thanks, Billy Jack. I appreciate the insight.

C - Chukwu
PF - Bentil
SF - ???
SG - Lindsey
PG - Cartwright

Hey Bill...!
Right, there could be some holes next year without Harris, and if Dunn goes to the NBA.

In your scenario:
I think the 3 would go to Rodney Bullock, who should be ready by the Fall.
Bullock is a scorer, bruiser, rebounder from what I understand, and can also play the 4.

Of the incoming freshman:
Ricky Council will be a great SG.
Drew Edwards can score but I think is more skilled at PG.
Ryan Fazekas is a great shooting SF.
Alex Owens is a talented Bentil-type PF.
Side note: Owens recently tore his knee and probably won't be ready til December.

The Friars will be young.
Dunn and Lomomba will be juniors, and with Harris leaving we won't have any seniors.

Am I forgetting anyone?

You're not forgetting anyone, but I forgot about Bullock. Thanks for that.

I've read a little about the recruits, but just going by the fact that they're all 3* rated AFAIK, I'm thinking that they're not likely to be impact players as freshmen.

If I were advising Dunn based on basketball issues, I'd advise him to stay another year. He's just beginning to scratch the surface of his abilities. But if I were his accountant and knew his medical history, I'd tell him to take the money and run before another injury ends his career.

I really wish that Dunn and Harris were coming back. Add them to Bentil, Lindsey, and Chukwu and I think the team could be competitive next year. Without the those two, it's a rebuilding season.
Bill Marsh

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board