Tyler Harris transferring from PC

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tyler Harris transferring from PC

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:30 pm

warriorfan4life wrote:
Harris was really good two years ago, but frankly a disappointment this year. Lindsey and especially Bentil beat him out for minutes and reduced his role (when it should expanded into being the third option behind Henton and Dunn). If Harris is having a better year, Henton may not have put up 23 shots in the Dayton loss. It was no secret that Harris was done with Providence after this season, and honestly he played like someone with one foot out the door already.

In defense of Harris, I think we remember the big shots he made in the BE tournament, but actually his game over the season as a whole didn't drop from last year. His scoring was actually slightly up from last year on a per minute basis. His minutes were down by about 5.5 minutes per game, but that's because this was a deeper team. He still played 27 minutes a game.

Bentil didn't beat out Harris for minutes. He played because they needed muscle in the lineup to replace Batts. With Desrosiers at center, that meant sliding Henton to the 3. Cooley decided that Harris would be most effective as 6th man, but he still got starter's minutes.

As for the number of shots that Henton put up against Dayton, I doubt that had anything to do with how many shots that Harris attempted. In the previous game against Villanova, Harris took only 5 shots and Henton took only 9 and made only 2. I suspect that had more to do with him putting up 26 against Dayton. Cooley probably told him that he had to shoot more and had to score more.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:30 am

ChelseaFriar

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Thanks for the links. Interesting reading.

The crazy thin is that if Tyler were to stay at PC for one more year, he might well become that 35 mpg player. He would have been the logical choice to become their featured scorer next year. He's obviously not ready for the NBA and I don't see what he gains by playing in Europe or by going to another college where he'd have to learn a whole new system.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hoyas » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Is this college basketball or 10 year old rec basketball? Wow. Sounds like may be addition by subtraction!
Hoyas

Postby RDinNY » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:21 pm

Hoyas wrote:

Is this college basketball or 10 year old rec basketball? Wow. Sounds like may be addition by subtraction!

I really wanted him to come to St. John's, both initially as well as when he was transferring from NC State. I like his game, although he hasn't been as productive as I thought he'd be. I guess dealing with dad was really worth it.
RDinNY

Postby Hoyas » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:24 pm

saw this:
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 4h 4 hours ago
PC transfer Tyler Harris has cut his list to Arizona, UConn, GT, Ok St, Auburn, Nebraska, Tenn, BC, UMass,+ Lasalle, source told @CBSSports.

Sure looks like he's transferring to another school and not going pro.
Hoyas

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:11 pm

This is what I was afraid of. He'll be playing in his 3rd program in his college career instead of coming back to PC where he might well have been their featured scorer next year the way that Henton was as a senior.

Is this a function of him and his crazy father or is there something at Providence that players like him and Fortune are getting away from?
Bill Marsh

Postby Hoyas » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:42 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:This is what I was afraid of. He'll be playing in his 3rd program in his college career instead of coming back to PC where he might well have been their featured scorer next year the way that Henton was as a senior.

Is this a function of him and his crazy father or is there something at Providence that players like him and Fortune are getting away from?

This one makes sense compared to Fortune- as next year, they could easily be in a full rebuilding mode if Dunn doesn't return.
Hoyas

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Hoyas wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:This is what I was afraid of. He'll be playing in his 3rd program in his college career instead of coming back to PC where he might well have been their featured scorer next year the way that Henton was as a senior.

This one makes sense compared to Fortune- as next year, they could easily be in a full rebuilding mode if Dunn doesn't return.

Even without Dunn, he would have replaced Henton in the starting lineup, Chukwu, a top 60 recruit last year, will replaced Desrosiers, and Bentil will be back at PF. Lindsay, another big recruit last year, should be ready to blossom as a sophomore at the 2. Even without Dunn, that group with Cartwright at the point is a pretty good starting 5. With Dunn, they would be terrific. Dunn hasn't announced yet, so what was the rush for Harris to announce? Why not wait to see what Dunn is doing? It just appears that he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Fortune had really emerged in the 2nd half of the season in 2014. It appeared that he was on the verge of becoming a star. So, why leave a program in which you're being successful for an unknown? Why take a year off from game competition just when it's all coming together for you? I don't get what's motivating these kids.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hoyas » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Hoyas wrote:

Even without Dunn, he would have replaced Henton in the starting lineup, Chukwu, a top 60 recruit last year, will replaced Desrosiers, and Bentil will be back at PF. Lindsay, another big recruit last year, should be ready to blossom as a sophomore at the 2. Even without Dunn, that group with Cartwright at the point is a pretty good starting 5. With Dunn, they would be terrific. Dunn hasn't announced yet, so what was the rush for Harris to announce? Why not wait to see what Dunn is doing? It just appears that he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Fortune had really emerged in the 2nd half of the season in 2014. It appeared that he was on the verge of becoming a star. So, why leave a program in which you're being successful for an unknown? Why take a year off from game competition just when it's all coming together for you? I don't get what's motivating these kids.

I'm just saying this one at least has some semblance of making sense. The Fortune one for everything you say just was a complete head scratcher.
Hoyas

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board