Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 pm

MUPanther wrote:Go try to get Mark Jackson.

That would be a great hire. If Lavin is gone, they need someone with instant credibility.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Steve Lavin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 pm

This is getting interesting…rumors that Lavin is reaching out to sports networks to see if they need a college basketball analyst. Rut roh!

Also, it looks like DePaul is dead set on Bob Hurley, but now SJU is throwing their hat in the ring too. The good news is it's a win-win for the conference. If he goes to either, it only helps us! Maybe DePaul gets Dan and we get Bobby? That would be fun! I get the sense that Hurley is a no BS coach who focuses on fundamentals and skill rather than letting his players play street ball. He seems like the kind of coach who would scream at a player for going for a fancy dunk and missing on a breakaway instead of guaranteeing the points with a layup. That's exactly what Lavin isn't and exactly what we need. Discipline, skilled smart players, and playing like a TEAM not just iso ball.

If it really does come down to DePaul and SJU I would be shocked if Bobby turns down SJU for DePaul to be honest. More money can be offered, more premier city (as great as Chicago is it's no NYC), a recent winning culture (3/4 20+ win seasons and 3 post season appearances plus being ranked twice in the past 5 years), a better brand, MSG, etc.

I think Bobby would recruit very well. Maybe not as many 4 stars as Lavin got right away, but I think he'd get 1 or 2 4-star recruits and a bunch of solid 3 stars who are team players and will stay all 4 years. That's what we need. Not to mention, Bobby would not have to move. He's basically home and close to family. Chicago is a long way from NYC.
Steve Lavin

Postby SCS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:00 am

Florida was always going to be a solid job because of the sheer amount of money that the athletics department has and can spend on a winner.
SCS

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:07 am

Bill Marsh wrote:It's odd that after all the success he's had at Iona, no one ever mentions Tim Cluess, a guy with extensive ties to St. John's, to Long Island, and to the NY area generally.

Mike Francessa mentions this a lot. Francessa, although not a HUGE St. John's fan IS an SJU alum and does support the program.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:07 am

Steve Lavin wrote:If it really does come down to DePaul and SJU I would be shocked if Bobby turns down SJU for DePaul to be honest. More money can be offered, more premier city (as great as Chicago is it's no NYC)

Umm Chicagoland has had wayyy more elite recruits of late and also includes the most fertile area of Indiana basketball in the north west little corner of the state.

I know if I were looking for recruits in this day and age I'd look up Chicagoland over NYC.

Also when was the last time you were in Chicago? It's clean and people are wayyy nicer. NYC is dirty and full of rude people.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Steve Lavin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 am

MUBoxer wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:If it really does come down to DePaul and SJU I would be shocked if Bobby turns down SJU for DePaul to be honest. More money can be offered, more premier city (as great as Chicago is it's no NYC)

Umm Chicagoland has had wayyy more elite recruits of late and also includes the most fertile area of Indiana basketball in the north west little corner of the state.

I know if I were looking for recruits in this day and age I'd look up Chicagoland over NYC.

Also when was the last time you were in Chicago? It's clean and people are wayyy nicer. NYC is dirty and full of rude people.

Coaches don't go where the best recruits are. They go where the programs are ready to win and have hype and resources. DePaul is the closest thing you can get to a mid major team in a major conference. They routinely get blown out by low major teams and always have a terrible record. You may reference their 20+ tourney appearances...I was born in 1989 and never even heard of DePaul success ever. That means it's been forever since they had a pulse. The program there is a laughingstock as much as I hope it comes back.

And in terms of NYC vs. Chicago, Chicago can beat out almost every other city but NYC is king and the world knows this. Go to any country and say you're from NY and they will know what you mean. Try the same with Chicago. They will be confused. Chicago is extremely dangerous one of the most dangerous in the nation. It is infested with gangs and murder. NYC is the safest big city in America. Your perception of NYC is from the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Since Guiliani came, he cleaned the city up and it's the most expensive place to live in America. No other city can match NYC. Not in hype, not in media, not in culture, power, or prestige. As Frank Sinatra said "I want to be a part of it". And many do. Chicago can easy beat out most major US cities, but NYC is not one of them. Different weight class.
Steve Lavin

Postby marquette » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Let's not start this argument again...
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:29 pm

MUBoxer wrote:

That is rather a rude comment you just made about people from NYC. :lol:

In NY, either of the Hurley brothers has one area high school coach whom they can count on to feed them quality players. ;)
Bill Marsh

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Scrap it . Lavin working on a three year extension with the school. Looks like he will be back.
redmen9194

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:42 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Scrap it . Lavin working on a three year extension with the school. Looks like he will be back.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.2162271

The one interesting part of the story:The conversations have been ongoing this week including Wednesday on campus, but there is no outcome yet, two sources told The News.

I wonder if part of it may be for him to stay he'd have to change some assistants maybe???
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board