Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:27 am

I'm a little surprised at this.... I think.

NEW YORK — Steve Lavin’s future at St. John’s is in doubt and the school’s administration is engaging in various discussions this week that could determine his future, multiple sources told SNY.tv.

“They’re meeting either this weekend or Monday to discuss the fate of Lavin,” one source said.

Asked what it meant for Lavin’s future at the school, the source said, “Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.”

A second source said various administrators had already had one meeting about Lavin’s future this past weekend and were planning a conference call soon to discuss the next steps.

“I’d be shocked if he ever survived this,” the second source said.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/sources-st ... -in-doubt/
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

Postby Steve Lavin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:35 am

"St. John's legend" = Mark Jackson (most likely) or Chris Mullin (who I'd rather)

"Financial Backer" = Mike Repole

"Young Hungry Coach" = Masiello, Miller, Hurley, etc.

Very interesting...since I hadn't heard anything I thought he would be extended. Now it looks like Repole won't let them bring Lavin back. He donates tons of money, so I can't see how they don't let him heavily influence this decision. Lavin definitely trending towards being let go.
Steve Lavin

Postby marquette » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 am

That's interesting. Obviously there has been a lot of speculation on here about this, and Lavin's tenure has been somewhat of a mixed bag. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:44 am

admin wrote:I'm a little surprised at this.... I think.

NEW YORK — Steve Lavin’s future at St. John’s is in doubt and the school’s administration is engaging in various discussions this week that could determine his future, multiple sources told SNY.tv.

“They’re meeting either this weekend or Monday to discuss the fate of Lavin,” one source said.

Asked what it meant for Lavin’s future at the school, the source said, “Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.”

A second source said various administrators had already had one meeting about Lavin’s future this past weekend and were planning a conference call soon to discuss the next steps.

I don't think it's a surprise at all. 28-29 in Big East play last 3 years to include the conference tourney. Multiple suspensions and guys not being eligible. Recruiting going down hill.

And I think the big part of it is a paragraph you didn't quote:
St. John’s lost Friday night to San Diego State in Charlotte in the Round of 64 of the NCAA Tournament, and the following morning Lavin told reporters he expected to receive an extension on his original six-year contract before entering his final season next year.

The fact his contract is up after next year makes it to me almost certain that he'll be gone. To me, they can't give him an extension right now.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 am

stever20 wrote:
admin wrote:I'm a little surprised at this.... I think.

I don't think it's a surprise at all. 28-29 in Big East play last 3 years to include the conference tourney. Multiple suspensions and guys not being eligible. Recruiting going down hill.

And I think the big part of it is a paragraph you didn't quote:
St. John’s lost Friday night to San Diego State in Charlotte in the Round of 64 of the NCAA Tournament, and the following morning Lavin told reporters he expected to receive an extension on his original six-year contract before entering his final season next year.

The fact his contract is up after next year makes it to me almost certain that he'll be gone. To me, they can't give him an extension right now.

People bring up the suspensions as a negative, but he could have easily swept this stuff under the rug and risk future punishments like Boehiem and Calhoun, but he didn't. I don't see how doing the right thing is a bad thing.
NJRedman

Postby Steve Lavin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Personally, if they go for the big name "SJU legend" I would want Mullin. The guy is one of the greatest pure shooters in history and god knows how badly SJU can use shooters. How long has it been since we've had great shooters...if ever? And he could definitely help kids with their form. He's also an NBA All-Star and HOFer who played on the Dream Team with Jordan. Recruits will think that's awesome. He's famous and I think he would recruit well locally. He's a Brooklyn guy who understands the NYC area, what we need, the mentality, and also how important it is to bring SJU back to consistent tourney runs.

If they go for the "young hungry" guy I want Bobby Hurley, but I understand he's been in extension talks with Buffalo. He seems to love it there and said something like "this is only the beginning here" so I doubt we pry him away. Assuming we can't get a Hurley, I'd want Archie Miller or Masiello.

So to conclude: 1. Mullin 2. Bobby Hurley 3. Dan Hurley 4. Archie Miller 5. Masiello

I think this SJU program needs change. We need to turn the page. Yes Lavin got us back to respectability, but we never had shooters, we never had big men that could score, we could never rebound, and we could never win tourney games in either the NIT/BET/NCAA's. We need a coach to bring truly skilled players in here and not just general athletes who can dunk and block shots. I want to be modeled after Gonzaga. Get a great leader who can pass and shoot at PG, tons of shooters on the perimeter, and a huge 7 ft scoring big man inside. We have to be able to score, especially in half-court sets if we are to ever make noise in a tourney ever again. How cool would it be to see Mullin coaching here? It would be huge news and the hype would be crazy. Kids respect the big names and they will surely listen to a guy who played alongside MJ and is considered one of the best shooters in NBA history.
Steve Lavin

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:32 pm

To me now seems like a good time to reboot at SJ. Lavin obviously hasn't gotten it done over the last few years and the roster overall isn't exactly stocked for next year, especially with question marks around Rysheed and Obekpa. Definitely a few good options out there in Hurley, Archie (although I don't think he'd take it unless they offered a nice chunk), Masiello etc.

Now if they fire Lavin and go out and get someone like Mark Jackson, then I just really don't get it.
Chalmers0

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:Personally, if they go for the big name "SJU legend" I would want Mullin. The guy is one of the greatest pure shooters in history and god knows how badly SJU can use shooters. How long has it been since we've had great shooters...if ever? And he could definitely help kids with their form. He's also an NBA All-Star and HOFer who played on the Dream Team with Jordan. Recruits will think that's awesome. He's famous and I think he would recruit well locally. He's a Brooklyn guy who understands the NYC area, what we need, the mentality, and also how important it is to bring SJU back to consistent tourney runs.

If they go for the "young hungry" guy I want Bobby Hurley, but I understand he's been in extension talks with Buffalo. He seems to love it there and said something like "this is only the beginning here" so I doubt we pry him away. Assuming we can't get a Hurley, I'd want Archie Miller or Masiello.

So to conclude: 1. Mullin 2. Bobby Hurley 3. Dan Hurley 4. Archie Miller 5. Masiello

I think this SJU program needs change. We need to turn the page. Yes Lavin got us back to respectability, but we never had shooters, we never had big men that could score, we could never rebound, and we could never win tourney games in either the NIT/BET/NCAA's. We need a coach to bring truly skilled players in here and not just general athletes who can dunk and block shots. I want to be modeled after Gonzaga. Get a great leader who can pass and shoot at PG, tons of shooters on the perimeter, and a huge 7 ft scoring big man inside. We have to be able to score, especially in half-court sets if we are to ever make noise in a tourney ever again. How cool would it be to see Mullin coaching here? It would be huge news and the hype would be crazy. Kids respect the big names and they will surely listen to a guy who played alongside MJ and is considered one of the best shooters in NBA history.

You've just made a great argument for hiring Mullin as an assistant coach (shooting, recruiting, etc.). I see nothing in his background that qualifies him as a head coach. No head coaching experience. No coaching experience of any sort. His management experience in the NBA seems unrelated to what a college HC does, and even at that, it's not like he had great success in the front office. One of my all time favorite players, but I think they should look elsewhere. At least Mark Jackson has coaching experience.

As for firing Lavin, beware what you wish for. You may get it.
Bill Marsh

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:11 pm

St. Johns dismissing Lavin could have ripples that effect several programs. St. Johns could, in theory, want Hurley as their head coach - which is absolutely a more desirable destination than DePaul, who has reportedly made him their front runner. Memphis is apparently also willing to let Pastner go, as he has struggled to reach the same success John Calipari did several years ago. He may reach out to Arizona State, who just let go of Sendek. Sendek, meanwhile, has BE coaching experience being an assistant at Providence. He's not a hot name, but he brought winning, yet uncompetitive, seasons for NC State and ASU while leading those programs.

If they don't want Hurley, I think they should make a play for Mark Jackson. He can bring NBA success, exposure and experience to the biggest market in the conference.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:35 pm

What's the latest on Billy Donovan...?
Back in 2011 he was on the St John's radar.
He might be ready to come home.
Providence
billyjack

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board