Anatomy of an upset

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Anatomy of an upset

Postby mtkc12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:32 pm

The whole play-in concept provides a ton of variables. I'm a Dayton fan, but not here to write about that. I also believe X is a much better team than Ole Miss and wish them all the best against Arizona!

My comment/observation is first-hand--so perhaps unique.

I was in Jacksonville last week on business (Tues-Thurs) and arrived at my hotel (Radisson off Butler Blvd) late Tuesday afternoon. The hotel had tournament signage, so I assumed they were a host hotel. When I asked which team was staying at the property, they laughed and said they didn't know. It turns out they were the hotel selected to host the winner of the play-in game. Pretty interesting when you fast forward to that evening, and I'm watching the game at the hotel. I woke up the next morning and there's the team bus outside. When I asked, I found out the Ole Miss team arrived on-property at around 5:00 AM that morning.

Fast forward, and the team laid an egg in their second round game--which began less than 36 hours after they arrived in the host city, and after traveling all night after their play-in game. While some disadvantages are inherent for both the 6 and 11 seeds in this scenario, at minimum I would have thought the NCAA might have placed the Ole Miss/X game at the end of the day (vs the second game of the first session). That would have also given X several more hours to prep for the game.

In general, I am a big proponent of the First Four concept. In the end, the whole tournament is sort of a crap shoot and the two 11 play-in games just add one more dynamic to that environment. I believe, however, some fine tuning can occur which would make the 6/11 games more competitive.

Good luck to Xavier and the entire Big East conference. We all need a conference where basketball and private education provide a viable alternative to the Football U's of the world.
mtkc12

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby augkash » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Dayton was up 22 with 2mins left in game when ole miss got hot from 3 vs Daytons walk on players and they hit a 3 at buzzer to make it 4 points. But Dayton was blowing them out the whole game. The next game was when ole miss took Kentucky into overtime
augkash

Postby augkash » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:23 pm

DudeAnon wrote:We should just put all posters that joined this week on a month long probation. Think of it as "Precrime" from Minority Report.

I've been a member longer then u :mrgreen:
augkash

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board