Big East putting the college basketball world on notice

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East putting the college basketball world on notice

Postby mpwalsh8 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:47 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:If Harrison gets hot the Johnnies cruise to a victory. Me and my boy Obekpa will smoke a fatty blunt to celebrate.

Prior to 1982 I had no idea who or where St. John's was. Since then I have never ever supported SJU but tonight I am an SJU fan. Should they win, I hope to be in Charlotte on Sunday and will support them against Duke like VU was playing. I want to the Big East to show well this year. If someone needs two tickets to Sunday, let me know. I may have an exrtra pair.
mpwalsh8

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:48 pm

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
MackNova wrote:The Big East really hasn't done anything yet. It's silenced some of the doubters, but every team that won was the better seed.

The key is for teams to get into the Sweet 16. I think the Big East needs 3 in the Sweet 16 to be considered a major success. There's nothing wrong with getting 2 in, or even 1 as long as that team makes the Final Four, but the league needs to make a statement. Simply meeting expectations isn't enough.

Given that only 1 is favored by seed to get to the Sweet 16, I'd say that 2 to the Sweet 16 would exceed expectations.

Having said that, Villanova of course has to make it to the ?Final Four just to meet expectations. ;)

actually going into the tournament we had 2 favored by seed- Nova and Georgetown...

3 to me is the magic number. Especially now with Xavier.

You're right. Sorry that I forgot about Georgetown.

Good point. The magic number is 3 with Villanova going to the Final Four.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
robinreed wrote:THE BIG EAST MAY BE PUTTING THE COLLEGE BB WORLD ON NOTICE BUT AS LONG AS WE ARE ON FOX NO ONE WILL KNOW ABOUT IT !!!!!

Our conference tournament was adequately attended (exceptionaly so as compared to the A10) but absolutely NO ONE watched. It was a national shame.

See this: http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/big-eas ... -espn.html

I have said several times on this site that TV viewership is far more important for the strength and stability of our conference than attendance.

Thank god the NCAA tourney will be on CBS OVA. It will be nice to see how much we draw on a real TV network and how badly we need to get out of our FSN contract. Some are saying we need to be patient and eventually FSN will become respectable. That may not happen in our life time for those of us over the age of 35. Perhaps we should drop basketball and start a collegiate kick-boxing team this would satisfy FOX and it's peculiar viewers.

Unless you have some magical contract cancelling power, we are stuck with it. So might as well just enjoy it and the great basketball being played right now.

Yeah, that ship has sailed. Nothing we can do.

What I think may get interesting is in 4 years I guess when the CBS Sub-licensing deal comes up. Don't think we would get more money, but maybe Fox uses the Big East games to acquire some other conference games in a trade off perhaps with ESPN? That gets some exposure for us on ESPN, and gets FS1 maybe some content???
stever20

Postby R Jay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:02 pm

robinreed wrote:THE BIG EAST MAY BE PUTTING THE COLLEGE BB WORLD ON NOTICE BUT AS LONG AS WE ARE ON FOX NO ONE WILL KNOW ABOUT IT !!!!!

Our conference tournament was adequately attended (exceptionaly so as compared to the A10) but absolutely NO ONE watched. It was a national shame.

I have said several times on this site that TV viewership is far more important for the strength and stability of our conference than attendance.

Thank god the NCAA tourney will be on CBS OTA. It will be nice to see how much we draw on a real TV network and how badly we need to get out of our FSN contract. Some are saying we need to be patient and eventually FSN will become respectable. That may not happen in our life time for those of us over the age of 35. Perhaps we should drop basketball and start a collegiate kick-boxing team this would satisfy FOX and it's peculiar viewers.

At the end of our 10 year contract, if we are still very strong, ESPN will offer us $$$ to come back. I don't think we'd totally leave FOX, but I think we'd have a split deal like the PAC-12 or possibly Big Ten.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Thank god the NCAA tourney will be on CBS OTA. It will be nice to see how much we draw on a real TV network and how badly we need to get out of our FSN contract. Some are saying we need to be patient and eventually FSN will become respectable. That may not happen in our life time for those of us over the age of 35. Perhaps we should drop basketball and start a collegiate kick-boxing team this would satisfy FOX and it's peculiar viewers.

As well as attendance for the BE tournament being down, ratings for the tournament finals were down this year a well.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/03 ... ed-by-acc/
Bill Marsh

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

Thank god the NCAA tourney will be on CBS OVA. It will be nice to see how much we draw on a real TV network and how badly we need to get out of our FSN contract. Some are saying we need to be patient and eventually FSN will become respectable. That may not happen in our life time for those of us over the age of 35. Perhaps we should drop basketball and start a collegiate kick-boxing team this would satisfy FOX and it's peculiar viewers.

Unless you have some magical contract cancelling power, we are stuck with it. So might as well just enjoy it and the great basketball being played right now.

ESPN, CBS, NBC all made offers when deliberations and discussions were underway. They all low balled on their bids. Furthermore, the package of conference televised games by the 3 franchises above, would have been similar to the AAC package - for similar money, $1-2 million/per university.

Fox coverage of BE Sports will grow. Viewership will increase. Fox and FS1 will be much stronger by the time our contract comes up for renegotiation. A great showing by the conference now in the NCAAs, will influence folks who want to watch BE hoops to tune in next season.

The Conference and teams are making more money than in the past and the future is bright. The contract is up in 8 years. As RJay stated, if the BE product is good, there will be several good to great offers on the table at that time. I for one will take the money and the max coverage with FS1. ESPN and CBS assume the viewing public is stupid and accept their network propaganda as gospel. Not so. Folks know a good product when they use it/see it. We need to continue to put out a great basketball product - viewers will come.

There are 31 conferences, all but the so-called P5 would give their first borne to have our tv contract. With more good news ahead ( BE/PAC-12 Challenge, potential BE Multi-Media Rights deal, better non-conference scheduling) along with all our recent good news. We as a conference are sitting pretty and control our own destiny. The "good old days" weren't so good.

Stay the course!

;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby MarquetteRustler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:07 pm

mpwalsh8 wrote:
MarquetteRustler wrote:If Harrison gets hot the Johnnies cruise to a victory. Me and my boy Obekpa will smoke a fatty blunt to celebrate.

Prior to 1982 I had no idea who or where St. John's was. Since then I have never ever supported SJU but tonight I am an SJU fan. Should they win, I hope to be in Charlotte on Sunday and will support them against Duke like VU was playing. I want to the Big East to show well this year. If someone needs two tickets to Sunday, let me know. I may have an exrtra pair.

That's what I was going for with the OP. Some good old fashioned conference homerism. It turned out... differently.
MarquetteRustler

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Conferences are spending big money putting together conference networks. The Big Ten Network, SEC, PAC-10. Isn't our Fox deal basically our own Big East Network? The only difference is that we are being paid $500 million for our network.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:09 am

billyjack wrote:Conferences are spending big money putting together conference networks. The Big Ten Network, SEC, PAC-10. Isn't our Fox deal basically our own Big East Network? The only difference is that we are being paid $500 million for our network.

Not really. conference networks show conference stuff 24/7. You don't have UFC/NASCAR/Football/Soccer/etc.

And the money- it's about 41-42 mil a year for us. SEC network think they were saying is going to pay 14 teams at least 5 million dollars. So that's at least 80 million dollars plus whatever the conference makes. I think Big Ten is like 7 million a year- so that's like nearly 100 million a year.

And the major difference- at least right now, the conference networks are the home for generally speaking tier 3 and MAYBE tier 2 type games. For us, it's everything.
stever20

Postby TheBall » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:00 am

billyjack wrote:Conferences are spending big money putting together conference networks. The Big Ten Network, SEC, PAC-10. Isn't our Fox deal basically our own Big East Network? The only difference is that we are being paid $500 million for our network.

Exactly

Is Stever still complaining about fox? Why? It's all he does and he cherry picks numbers and doesn't have a realistic view of the situation. I'm convinced he is a jealous conference of Americans fan

If we stuck with espn we would be making no money and we wouldn't have anyone watching our games because they would be tucked away in espn news. I will take 200k viewers on fs1 with the occassional 900k viewers from fox main station knowing that those numbers are only going to keep improving rather than having 100k viewers on espn u.
TheBall

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board