Big East putting the college basketball world on notice

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East putting the college basketball world on notice

Postby Edrick » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Are we really acting like this is an isolated occurrence? Something crops up with Obekpa every couple of months.

This is just clearly who he is. If you continually act like a jackass, you are no longer acting. You are a jackass.
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MackNova » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:53 pm

The Big East really hasn't done anything yet. It's silenced some of the doubters, but every team that won was the better seed.

The key is for teams to get into the Sweet 16. I think the Big East needs 3 in the Sweet 16 to be considered a major success. There's nothing wrong with getting 2 in, or even 1 as long as that team makes the Final Four, but the league needs to make a statement. Simply meeting expectations isn't enough.
MackNova

Postby anXUfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:59 pm

I agree. Need to keep winning.
anXUfan

Postby gosports1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:This is not a holier than thou post, although Jay runs a clean program and the players go to class (TRUST ME ON THAT, THEY ARE IN CLASS) we have had our fair share of issues as well, but I can't begin to tell you how annoyed I am with Obepka. He is a college kid, they make mistakes, but this is the same clown who was thrown out of a couple of games for a complete cheap shot and has had other issues as well. Just very selfish. St. John's is solid but they are not deep at all, especially when it comes to bigs. Obepka is going to be a blow and I think St. John's is going to be in trouble because of it. With Obepka I believed they even had a shot at Duke. Now, not so much. I'll be rooting for them regardless!

So, you're angry that Obekpa got caught smoking a joint. :roll:

Maybe you should be angry at the ridiculous rule that imposes such a sever penalty for such a minor offense - something that probably shouldn't be an offense at all. Kids don't get suspended for 2 games for fighting. In football, they let kids play in bowls after getting caught violating NCAA rules, which this wasn't, and have the penalty take effect the following season - unless of course they go to the NFL first.

we could all argue if that rule is fair or not or if we agree with the penalty, but the point is "it is a rule", He knew that and he broke it
gosports1

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:01 pm

MackNova wrote:The Big East really hasn't done anything yet. It's silenced some of the doubters, but every team that won was the better seed.

The key is for teams to get into the Sweet 16. I think the Big East needs 3 in the Sweet 16 to be considered a major success. There's nothing wrong with getting 2 in, or even 1 as long as that team makes the Final Four, but the league needs to make a statement. Simply meeting expectations isn't enough.

Given that only 1 is favored by seed to get to the Sweet 16, I'd say that 2 to the Sweet 16 would exceed expectations.

Having said that, Villanova of course has to make it to the ?Final Four just to meet expectations. ;)
Bill Marsh

Postby R Jay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
MackNova wrote:The Big East really hasn't done anything yet. It's silenced some of the doubters, but every team that won was the better seed.

Given that only 1 is favored by seed to get to the Sweet 16, I'd say that 2 to the Sweet 16 would exceed expectations.

Having said that, Villanova of course has to make it to the ?Final Four just to meet expectations. ;)

+1
Completely agree Bill.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:08 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Pinkston was provoked. I am not defending him but let's not make it look like he walked into a party and started to throw fists. He has done everything in his power to correct the situation and he has behaved appropriately since then. Also, that was OVER 4 years ago. I am talking about a player, an upperclassman, who has been suspended twice in the last month and a half. You guys are starting to nitpick and it is CRAP. Also, I have heard of this thing called google as well. I mean I can start googling things like the brawl that took place in 2011 and lead to 4 Xavier players being suspended(Pinkston's thing happened in 2010 by the way so even FURTHER back) and using that as ammo.....BUT THAT STILL DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT IS CRAP!

Haha wow, you're overreacitng just a tad. By the way, I wasn't using Pinkston's situation as "ammo" (though another fan was). I quoted you comparing the two situations and pointed out my disagreement with the comparison.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:

actually going into the tournament we had 2 favored by seed- Nova and Georgetown...

3 to me is the magic number. Especially now with Xavier.
stever20

Postby robinreed » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:41 pm

THE BIG EAST MAY BE PUTTING THE COLLEGE BB WORLD ON NOTICE BUT AS LONG AS WE ARE ON FOX NO ONE WILL KNOW ABOUT IT !!!!!

Our conference tournament was adequately attended (exceptionaly so as compared to the A10) but absolutely NO ONE watched. It was a national shame.

See this: http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/big-eas ... -espn.html

I have said several times on this site that TV viewership is far more important for the strength and stability of our conference than attendance.

Thank god the NCAA tourney will be on CBS OTA. It will be nice to see how much we draw on a real TV network and how badly we need to get out of our FSN contract. Some are saying we need to be patient and eventually FSN will become respectable. That may not happen in our life time for those of us over the age of 35. Perhaps we should drop basketball and start a collegiate kick-boxing team this would satisfy FOX and it's peculiar viewers.
Last edited by robinreed on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robinreed

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:43 pm

robinreed wrote:THE BIG EAST MAY BE PUTTING THE COLLEGE BB WORLD ON NOTICE BUT AS LONG AS WE ARE ON FOX NO ONE WILL KNOW ABOUT IT !!!!!

Our conference tournament was adequately attended (exceptionaly so as compared to the A10) but absolutely NO ONE watched. It was a national shame.

See this: http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/big-eas ... -espn.html

I have said several times on this site that TV viewership is far more important for the strength and stability of our conference than attendance.

Thank god the NCAA tourney will be on CBS OVA. It will be nice to see how much we draw on a real TV network and how badly we need to get out of our FSN contract. Some are saying we need to be patient and eventually FSN will become respectable. That may not happen in our life time for those of us over the age of 35. Perhaps we should drop basketball and start a collegiate kick-boxing team this would satisfy FOX and it's peculiar viewers.

Unless you have some magical contract cancelling power, we are stuck with it. So might as well just enjoy it and the great basketball being played right now.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board