Big East putting the college basketball world on notice

The home for Big East hoops

Postby MarquetteRustler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:56 am

It's that time of year where millions of college football fans like to pretend they know something about basketball by expressing their outrage that a non P5 conference would have the gaul to get 6 teams in the tourney.

After we wrap up a perfect 6-0 record tonight they'll need to learn to...

This Marquette fan has no qualms riding the coattails for a few more weeks. Big East! Big East! Big East!
MarquetteRustler

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East putting the college basketball world on notice

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:46 am

This is not a holier than thou post, although Jay runs a clean program and the players go to class (TRUST ME ON THAT, THEY ARE IN CLASS) we have had our fair share of issues as well, but I can't begin to tell you how annoyed I am with Obepka. He is a college kid, they make mistakes, but this is the same clown who was thrown out of a couple of games for a complete cheap shot and has had other issues as well. Just very selfish. St. John's is solid but they are not deep at all, especially when it comes to bigs. Obepka is going to be a blow and I think St. John's is going to be in trouble because of it. With Obepka I believed they even had a shot at Duke. Now, not so much. I'll be rooting for them regardless!
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby RDinNY » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 am

Imagine how St. John's fans feel right now.
RDinNY

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:52 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:This is not a holier than thou post, although Jay runs a clean program and the players go to class (TRUST ME ON THAT, THEY ARE IN CLASS) we have had our fair share of issues as well, but I can't begin to tell you how annoyed I am with Obepka. He is a college kid, they make mistakes, but this is the same clown who was thrown out of a couple of games for a complete cheap shot and has had other issues as well. Just very selfish. St. John's is solid but they are not deep at all, especially when it comes to bigs. Obepka is going to be a blow and I think St. John's is going to be in trouble because of it. With Obepka I believed they even had a shot at Duke. Now, not so much. I'll be rooting for them regardless!

So, you're angry that Obekpa got caught smoking a joint. :roll:

Maybe you should be angry at the ridiculous rule that imposes such a sever penalty for such a minor offense - something that probably shouldn't be an offense at all. Kids don't get suspended for 2 games for fighting. In football, they let kids play in bowls after getting caught violating NCAA rules, which this wasn't, and have the penalty take effect the following season - unless of course they go to the NFL first.
Bill Marsh

Postby xu1990 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:57 am

It would be nice to have Obekpa but the floor will certainly be more open offensively. I like our chances to be 6-0
xu1990

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:58 am

Bill, Reggie Redding got in trouble for marijuana as well. I think...actually scratch that...I KNOW marijuana is safer than alcohol. I have NEVER seen marijuana bring out the complete animal in people the way alcohol can. Some people with glaucoma are actually allowed to smoke weed when they drive. Enough about all that though. The point is on a team. It isn't just about him. When he takes a risk and gets caught, it is not just hurting himself, he is hurting the team, his coaches, and the school. Obepka is a player and a starter, not the 11th guy on the bench. You have responsibilities, if you don't want them, then don't play. The rule could literally be don't chew gum. Is it silly? Yes, but if it is a rule and you truly care about your team and their success, you don't break the rule.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby TBC Alum » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:30 am

The Big East teams were the higher seeds and won the games they were supposed to win. Just because teams from other conferences crapped the bed...

Excellent start so far. Keep this thing rolling. I'm loving it
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:33 am

TBC Alum wrote:The Big East teams were the higher seeds and won the games they were supposed to win. Just because teams from other conferences crapped the bed...

Excellent start so far. Keep this thing rolling. I'm loving it

the thing is while yes we were the higher seeds, as I showed the other day- the 6/11 matchup has become quite a tossup. 8-8 last 4 years since we've gone to 68. I think you do a disservice to Butler and Xavier by just saying they were supposed to win. 2 darn good wins, especially the dominating win over Ole Miss.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Bill, Reggie Redding got in trouble for marijuana as well. I think...actually scratch that...I KNOW marijuana is safer than alcohol. I have NEVER seen marijuana bring out the complete animal in people the way alcohol can. Some people with glaucoma are actually allowed to smoke weed when they drive. Enough about all that though. The point is on a team. It isn't just about him. When he takes a risk and gets caught, it is not just hurting himself, he is hurting the team, his coaches, and the school. Obepka is a player and a starter, not the 11th guy on the bench. You have responsibilities, if you don't want them, then don't play. The rule could literally be don't chew gum. Is it silly? Yes, but if it is a rule and you truly care about your team and their success, you don't break the rule.

Fair point.
Bill Marsh

Postby MUPanther » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:39 am

Seeds are overrated. Butler was a 2 point underdog to Texas.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board