NCAA Tourney - San Diego St vs. St. John's 9:40 CBS

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Tourney - San Diego St vs. St. John's 9:40 CBS

Postby Steve Lavin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:45 pm

When you're hot, you're hot. Nothing we could do about a terrible shooting team having the best game of their lives at the right time. Can't even count how many easy 2nd and 3rd chances they got due to massive size advantage. I hope the rest of the Big East goes easy on us, because these have been 4 very emotional very tough years. So let's try to hold off on the whole "dammit SJ" stuff at least for a day. I love the players on this team they left everything on the court. The problem is that Lavin set them up for failure. He didn't get what the team needed, and as a result the players paid for it unfortunately as had as they played.

Crazy to think we are right back to being on the bottom of the conference now. We need to fire Lavin asap and just move on already. He's got cool slicked back hair and can talk to the media very well. He also has a popular name. That's about it. We need a coach, not a car salesman.
Steve Lavin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SJU1987 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:51 am

Bobby Hurley ??? Lots of talk about St' John's hiring Bobby Hurley.

What happened to Lavin's recruiting touch ? He brought in a whole team load of 4 and 5 star recruits his first year and now he can't recruit them ? He spent too much time going after Briscoe, Diallo and other big names and took his eye off the ball.
SJU1987

Postby NJRedman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:02 am

SJU1987 wrote:Bobby Hurley ??? Lots of talk about St' John's hiring Bobby Hurley.

What happened to Lavin's recruiting touch ? He brought in a whole team load of 4 and 5 star recruits his first year and now he can't recruit them ? He spent too much time going after Briscoe, Diallo and other big names and took his eye off the ball.

We just signed a top 50 kid named Brandon Sampson and Jordan is only a Sophomore. I don't know what you mean by that. It's hard to get kids to come when they will have to sit behind 4 seniors. Harrison, Jordan, Greene and Obekpa weren't getting relegated to the bench. Most top recruits want to come in and start as freshmen.
NJRedman

Postby micgoG'town » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:04 am

Where is this Bobby Hurley talk coming from? Just speculation on boards, or something realistic?
micgoG'town

Postby SJU1987 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:05 pm

micgoG'town wrote:Where is this Bobby Hurley talk coming from? Just speculation on boards, or something realistic?

Speculation on Redmen.com
SJU1987

Postby SecureDaBall » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:09 pm

micgoG'town wrote:Where is this Bobby Hurley talk coming from? Just speculation on boards, or something realistic?

I don't think Lavin is in danger of losing his job which is a sad statement for a program that had bigger aspirations in the pas.... but if St. John's fires Lavin I would expect Tim Cluess would be at the top of their list. He played at St. John's and would come cheap which would help the school absorb whatever of left of Lavin's contract

As for Bobby Hurley, I don't understand how he has jumped Danny Hurley as a candidate for a coaching vacancy at a big school. Danny is building Rhode Island methodically. . They were tied for 2nd in the A-10 and lost in the semis. Four of their top five scorers are frosh or sophomores so I expect them to be better next season. I'm probably splitting hairs because they both have done great jobs so far.
SecureDaBall

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 pm

NJRedman wrote:
SJU1987 wrote:Bobby Hurley ??? Lots of talk about St' John's hiring Bobby Hurley.

We just signed a top 50 kid named Brandon Sampson and Jordan is only a Sophomore. I don't know what you mean by that. It's hard to get kids to come when they will have to sit behind 4 seniors. Harrison, Jordan, Greene and Obekpa weren't getting relegated to the bench. Most top recruits want to come in and start as freshmen.

This guy gets it. There is just NO possible way a coach can get more than one successful recruiting class in a row. Kids never want to go to a good program knowing that they are joining other big time players. They just want to go to a program where the cupboard is completely bare and they can start. Who cares if the team goes 8-22. As long as a player gets a starting nod, the rest is cream cheese!

I mean instead of competing with Kentucky, Louisville and Duke and going after the 5 star / Top 25 guys, you can take a more realistic approach and go after good 3 star or 4 star recruits in the Top 75 to 125 range and build a team based on 4 year players who buy into a program. But I mean, who the hell wants to do that?

Dude......
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Burrito » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:46 pm

So what does St. John's roster look next year if Obekpa and Jordan do not return?

Rysheed Jordan on Instagram: "Must Say It Been A Long Bumpy 2 Years Of College But I Made It Threw I Just Want To Thank All My Supporters...Road Dont End Here."
Instagram.com/teamrysheedjordan
Burrito

Postby MackNova » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Can we finally put to rest the idea I've heard for years that St. John's is the most talented team in the Big East? They're not, and they never were.

I have no idea what this team will look like next year. Rysheed could stay or go. Obekpa could stay or go. The recruits could randomly be ruled ineligible - that seems to happen every year. St. John's could compete for a tournament spot next year if things go well, or they could be at the bottom of the league if things go poorly.

I hope for the best with SJU because they represent the highest upside in the league in terms of raising the league profile. But they haven't been nationally relevant in over a decade. It's disappointing this team couldn't get it done
MackNova

Postby TheBall » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:44 pm

This yr St. John's was the best team on paper.

Coaching did them jn
TheBall

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board