NCAA tourney - discussion non-BIGEAST games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA tourney - discussion non-BIGEAST games

Postby stever20 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:27 pm

So much for the narrative that experience beats freshmen. Duke's frosh scored a whopping 60 points tonight.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:48 am

stever20 wrote:So much for the narrative that experience beats freshmen. Duke's frosh scored a whopping 60 points tonight.

Point well taken.

Grayson Allen was the story of the game. Averaged 9 mpg during the season. Came out of nowhere to drop 16 on Wiscy in 21 minutes and brought tremendous energy to the game.

If anyone told me before the game that the Badgers would hold Okafor to 10 points, 3 rebounds, I'd have thought they'd win going away. But Allen was the X factor, changing the dynamic.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:01 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:So much for the narrative that experience beats freshmen. Duke's frosh scored a whopping 60 points tonight.

Point well taken.

Grayson Allen was the story of the game. Averaged 9 mpg during the season. Came out of nowhere to drop 16 on Wiscy in 21 minutes and brought tremendous energy to the game.

If anyne told me before the game that the Badgers would hold Okafor to 10 points, 3 rebounds, I'd have thought they'd win going away. But Allen was the X factor, changing the dynamic.

Right now I'm sure there are some Badger fans that have tweeted I hate Grayson Allen.

Bottom line, Duke doesn't come close to winning without Allen.
stever20

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:14 pm

I don't think one point on a graph signifies a trend. This is the second year in maybe a decade that the frosh have been this significant in the finals.

UConn - Napier
Louisville - bunch of uppers
KY - second point on the graph
UConn - Walker
Duke - Singler, Plumlee, Scheyer
NC - Hansbrough and Lawson and Ellington
Kansas - Rush and Collins
Florida - Noah + Horford + Brewer
Florida - Noah + Brewer + Horford
HoosierPal

Postby stever20 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:40 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

I don't think one point on a graph signifies a trend. This is the second year in maybe a decade that the frosh have been this significant in the finals.

UConn - Napier
Louisville - bunch of uppers
KY - second point on the graph
UConn - Walker
Duke - Singler, Plumlee, Scheyer
NC - Hansbrough and Lawson and Ellington
Kansas - Rush and Collins
Florida - Noah + Horford + Brewer
Florida - Noah + Brewer + Horford

2 points though now in 4 years. What is most different about this time is this was the first time that 2 players combined as a package the way Jones and Okafor did similar to what Lebron/Wade/Bosh did in the NBA. Also the 1st Florida year was a year where the 1 and done NBA rule hadn't started yet. The 2nd Florida year was the 1st one where players had to play 1 year before going pro. And would say that Oden had a pretty good game- 25 points and 12 rebounds. Rose the next year had a good game as well . Kentucky last year had frosh score 50 points. So so say that's not significant is crazy.

And would say now we've had 4 straight years where a team in the final was impacted big by frosh- Kentucky in '12, Michigan in '13, Kentucky in '14, and Duke in '15. Do you really think that trend is going away any time soon?
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board