Head Coach Job Openings List...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Head Coach Job Openings List...

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:25 pm

BEwannabe wrote:
Hoyas wrote:The A10 is still pretty well situated with NCAA units from the departed schools the next 3-4 years....

Also have got to remember for Dayton, while yes they were the last team in, they won 2 games, so they are worth 750k for 6 years going forward- or about 4.5 million dollars.

but you're letting facts get in the way of bias ;)

Drop the persecution shtick.

Also, impressive amount of A10 knowledge from a Hoya fan.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 pm

BEwannabe wrote:It's not if Fordham can afford to pay rather the if they want to pay. Fordham could definitely afford to pay, their endowment is nearly 6 times larger than Butler and Xavier. The thinking though is they're just not committed to D1 sports and would not the money be better spent elsewhere. Why would you pay for the results they get?

Fordham operates out of Brooklyn and Manhattan and has something like 15k students. It's endowment in 2014 was $675 million.

Xavier obviously is based in Cincinnati with less than 7k students and a published endowment (2014) that was running at over $150 million (published because they're in a silent phase of a new capital campaign that has already pushed that number significantly).

Do you still want to go with "nearly 6 times"? Otherwise, it's obviously an apples to oranges comparison with Fordham being over twice the size of Xavier and Butler and in the highest cost city in the United States.

Beyond all that is the fact that Xavier's basketball program is one of the most valuable programs in the nation. It managed to maintain its Forbes ranking and still got into the WSJ list this year even with its transitional expenses to the Big East and lost NCAA Unit income from the A10. As those transitional expenses run off, as the Big East NCAA Unit monies begin cranking up, as the Fox TV money continues to flow, and as Greg Christopher continues to prove himself as an effective fundraiser, Xavier will maintain a strong position for supporting its basketball and other athletic programs moving forward. Putting Fordham in the same sentence as Xavier and Butler when it comes to basketball and the business of basketball is laughable.

The Fordham administration will not spend academic-centric funding on its athletic department. They don't "get it" as it is.

In the meantime, you should reconsider your approach for making comparisons. How's that for letting facts get in the way of bias?

Beyond that, this isn't a 3 to 4 year play; this stipend deal IS the brave new world. Beyond those years of Xavier/Temple money burning off exists the reality that the A10 is going to have to do it on its own, and with 14 mouths to feed. So, without looking up how the A10 divides its money and simply dividing it over 14 teams, and just addressing the $4.5 million above over 6 years, that comes out to about $54k per school per year.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Not to get in the middle of your conversation, XU Dash. Just want to make a note that Fordham's main campus is a beautiful green campus in the Bronx across the street from the NY Botanical Gardens. They have a 2nd campus at Lincoln Center just above NY's theater district and near the southwest corner of Central Park. Nothing in Brooklyn. (My son and brother both graduated from Fordham, one of the very best Catholic universities in the country.)
Bill Marsh

Postby Xudash » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Not to get in the middle of your conversation, XU Dash. Just want to make a note that Fordham's main campus is a beautiful green campus in the Bronx across the street from the NY Botanical Gardens. They have a 2nd campus at Lincoln Center just above NY's theater district and near the southwest corner of Central Park. Nothing in Brooklyn. (My son and brother both graduated from Fordham, one of the very best Catholic universities in the country.)

Bill,

I believe Fordham is a great school and I've been to its Bronx (sorry, confused the Brooklyn thing in the post) campus. It is a beautiful school that has ended up in at least a few movie sets. I always thought Fordham had the potential for being a strong player within the A10, but its administration never could grasp the importance of a successful collegiate athletic program to a University. In Fordham's case, they hold an excellent standing academically in the largest city in the US, so perhaps they simply see things differently in that regard.

I wasn't disparaging Fordham. I was just blowing up the dumbass UD fan who thought he was making some kind of valid commentary and comparison while mangling his math.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Xudash wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Not to get in the middle of your conversation, XU Dash. Just want to make a note that Fordham's main campus is a beautiful green campus in the Bronx across the street from the NY Botanical Gardens. They have a 2nd campus at Lincoln Center just above NY's theater district and near the southwest corner of Central Park. Nothing in Brooklyn. (My son and brother both graduated from Fordham, one of the very best Catholic universities in the country.)

Bill,

I believe Fordham is a great school and I've been to its Bronx (sorry, confused the Brooklyn thing in the post) campus. It is a beautiful school that has ended up in at least a few movie sets. I always thought Fordham had the potential for being a strong player within the A10, but its administration never could grasp the importance of a successful collegiate athletic program to a University. In Fordham's case, they hold an excellent standing academically in the largest city in the US, so perhaps they simply see things differently in that regard.

I wasn't disparaging Fordham. I was just blowing up the dumbass UD fan who thought he was making some kind of valid commentary and comparison while mangling his math.

Didn't think you were disparaging. No offense taken. Just thought I'd clear up that detail.

There was a time when Fordham did have that kind of potential. I'm old enough to have been in a sold out MSG in 1971 when Al McGuire brought his Marquette team into town to take on Digger Phelps' Fordham Rams. Both teams were nationally ranked. The Garden rocked. Great game. Marquette won.

In the '80's, Fordham started to focus more on academics while still trying to compete athletically. In the '90's they revived football and joined the Patriot League in keeping with their academic aspirations. Holy Cross was going through the same crisis of identity at the time.

Fordham invested heavily in campus upgrades to transform themselves from a commuter school to a national student body. They were successful in achieving their academic goals but could never find the coach who could marry that kind of academic environment with success in the A10.
Bill Marsh

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 pm

I was under the impression the entire A10 would pay for attendance, but I think right now they're letting each institution decide right now.

-VCU has already committee to pay in full Men's and Women's basketball.

- VCU countered Texas' offer with a raise for Shaka to $2.5 million a year.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:I was under the impression the entire A10 would pay for attendance, but I think right now they're letting each institution decide right now.

Wow that's awful in light of what Wichita did with Marshall(3.4 million).
stever20

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:42 pm

and per Bill's last post exactly why many believe Fordham will choose to go Patriot route with hoops. Not that they can't afford it, but a Patriot route (not paying) better fits their institutional goals. But if they do choose to stay in A10 they'll have more than enough money to run their program.
BEwannabe

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:44 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:I was under the impression the entire A10 would pay for attendance, but I think right now they're letting each institution decide right now.

The A10 did vote to pay, lone no vote was Fordham, thus the speculation.
BEwannabe

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm

In reality, it doesn't matter if schools can afford it or not.

They either pay up or drop their athletic programs...and if they do that, the donation money goes way down and they lose more.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board