ESPN: X, Butler and Providence just Mediocre and Generic

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ESPN: X, Butler and Providence just Mediocre and Generic

Postby R Jay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:05 pm

BEwannabe wrote:
R Jay wrote:
BEwannabe wrote:re: Dayton in Cbus tonight. I'm sure the Columbus economy will appreciate it. Ideal site for Flyer fans, not too far from our home market. Columbus & Cleveland have droves of UD alum as does Western PA and NY state and CMH is close in airport to Arena, 20 min from your gate to NW Arena with loads of SW nonstop flights. The Flyer Faithful will be there and liquored up, Nationwide Arena spills right into the Arena District in Cbus. Fabulous venue for NCAA action.

Who cares? Honestly?

follow along RJ, somone mentioned UD fans would be there like locusts and I'm confirming but the crowd won't be so lopsided to make game altering noise like the Broncos had to endure at UD Arena.

Yeah. Gotcha. Still don't care.
Bottomline: there will still be more Dayton fans than Providence fans in Columbus.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Honestly I'm not placing much weight on UD playing a NBE team, I'm actually excited to be going and seeing Henton and Dunn in person. I just wish the game was at 7pm not 10. This UD team has surpassed all my expectations.

dash - re: UD pride : really? Do you have any clue how many posters that site has? There is a post over there from Selection Sunday with over 10,000 views. Of course we have some nut jobs.
BEwannabe

Postby Xudash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:14 pm

BEwannabe wrote:
Xudash wrote:
BEwannabe wrote:No one at Dayton is whining about anyhting, it's been an incredible run these guys have been on but anyone that knows the first thing about basketball or who has played the game just on back to back nights would recognize UD schedule over the last 8 days has been a challenge. Where do you get 1 game? Tonight will be there 5 game in 8 days starting on Friday the 13th.

I'll cut you some slack since you're actually playing a Big East team today, but nobody cares about how UD got to this game. Besides, if anyone around here cared about how UD got to today's game, they probably would focus on the fact that you are height challenged and have a short bench. They would take notice of the fact that Archie Miller recruited two thieves to the UD basketball program that were so egregious that they had to be dismissed from UD during this season.

Your wins have come from playing a very weak schedule.

Tonight you'll get a taste of Big East competition, which you'll gladly move forward from, knowing that you'll be able to fall back into A10 play next year and for years to come. Anyone who ever visited UDPride - and I can't imagine anything has changed - knows that UD takes whining to an art form.

You need to spend some quiet time with Father B at X. Great Jesuit, I think he could really help you, tell him your Irish UD friend made the recommendation.

Ha! Know him well. Nice try though.

You seem to not have this in context, so I'll try to help you out. You are a UD fan posting on a Big East board. I'm a Xavier fan posting on a Big East board. Xavier fans posting on a Big East board post away given that Xavier is a member of the Big East. It's not that visitors can't stop by and post once in a while, even visitors from UD. But you seem to spend a lot of time here, for a fan of a non BE member, and it usually is in some form of defense of Dayton. I guess your handle provides insight into why you spend time here.

You seem to think this is about anger or something on my part. I have nothing to be angry about when it comes to UD. This is a fan message board and it happens to be MY conference's fan message board and if some of you guys want to come over here and harp about UD, you're going to be considered fair game. That is exactly the way it was for Xavier fans as we were leaving the A10 for the Big East, as far as the A10 board was concerned. I seriously doubt the A10 board still welcomes posters from Xavier. I can't imagine the envy going on over at UDPride, especially now.

Frankly, I'm trying to help you out a little here. Other than perhaps some Providence fans, few if any fans around here care about UD. Nonetheless, by all means, if you think you need to break down some material advantage Dayton has over Providence, then knock yourself out. If Providence plays the way they played against Nova in New York, Dayton will lose by a comfortable double-digit margin - they won't be turning the ball over, among other things.

We'll see how all that turns out in a little while.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby XtoDC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:11 pm

I get really annoyed when obvious non trolls who openly admit their allegiance to another team/conference get their entire fanbase's messageboard reputation heaped all over them.

Hey BEwannabe, someone on UDpride called Chris Mack ugly 4 years ago! You've got some explaining to do if you want to keep posting around these parts!
XtoDC

Postby BEX » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Comparing Henton to ANY Boise player. Really? Guess you'll find out.
BEX

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:17 pm

BEwannabe wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
BEwannabe wrote: If Providence turns the ball over then this will be a close game and the Flyers are a very good (play with great confidence) in 1 or 2 type possession games.

That works both ways. ;)

I'm expecting a close game with the edge to Providence.

my comments are based on scouting report from a Xavier informant aka scouting report, his report indicates the Friars have a tendency for games with turnovers and are weak in transition defense, those are both areas where UD shines especially transition offense. With 5 players we've been 1 player from disaster for 3 months but have somehow avoided the train wreck an injury would cause of game dq's. Tale of the tape is how well Kyle Davis can handle Dunn, it looks like a good match up, Kyle has been forced to guard bigger guards than Dunn, maybe not as talented as Dunn. Interesting matchup and then I'm not sure what we do with Henton but size wise he's a better matchup for us than Boise St. Friars 7'ers will be interesting as we've played against some bigs with success and then other nights like Boise, their bigs were wide as well and were always in good defensive position.

My point was that Providence can force turnovers as well. Kris Dunn is 4th in the country in steals. If he goes wild, he's as likely to cause havoc with Dayton's offense as vice versa.

I don't know what games your scout was watching, but Providence is not a turnover prone team. They average 11.9 TPG, which is pretty average. Dayton averages 11.5 TPG, which isn't much different. Dayton's does shine at forcing TO (13.2/G), but so does Providence (13.0/G). So, where's the advantage? Both teams have a positive TO ration with Dayton being a little better at 2.0/G vs 1.2/G for Providence.

As for Dayton being a team that transitions well from defense to offense, how are they going to generate that? If not by forcing TO, then they're going to have to beat Providence off the boards after PC misses and they're going to have to hold the Friars to a low shooting percentage. But Providence doesn't depend heavily on shooting low percentage 3-pointers. And Dayton's FG% defense (42%) isn't exceptional while PC shoots a good 44% as a team.

I have no criticisms of Davis's defense, but defending Dunn's size isn't the challenge. It's his quickness and athleticism. Wait until you see him in action. Talk about transitioning from defense to offense, Dunn is as good as it gets in doing that.

I think your scouting report is lacking.
Bill Marsh

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

A "Xavier informant"? What is that, some fan? Okay, since I guess I can call myself a Xavier informant too, I have to say that scouting report sucks.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby UD FAN » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 am

XUFan09 wrote:A "Xavier informant"? What is that, some fan? Okay, since I guess I can call myself a Xavier informant too, I have to say that scouting report sucks.

Actually, the X "informant" who provided our staff with a scouting report on the friars coaches about 55 miles south of UD and the team he coaches plays in the (B)EAST------just saying'..
UD FAN

Postby Wildabeast » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:02 am

NJRedman wrote:So according to ESPN's Giant Killer special you guys aren't very good at anything and will be upset in the first round. Oh and GTown is gonna lose AGAIN in the first round. I know some wish we stayed with them, but I have the feeling that if we did, this wouldn't be much different.

F ESPN and F their talking heads who are gonna look like fools when we show them how good this league really is. Though they will act like they weren't wrong at all.

ESPN and their partner conferences are toasting like the 72 Dolphins today.

The NBE performed pretty much just as they said.

Wildabeast

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:10 am

Wildabeast wrote:
NJRedman wrote:So according to ESPN's Giant Killer special you guys aren't very good at anything and will be upset in the first round. Oh and GTown is gonna lose AGAIN in the first round. I know some wish we stayed with them, but I have the feeling that if we did, this wouldn't be much different.

F ESPN and F their talking heads who are gonna look like fools when we show them how good this league really is. Though they will act like they weren't wrong at all.

ESPN and their partner conferences are toasting like the 72 Dolphins today.

The NBE performed pretty much just as they said.

Xavier, Georgetown, and Butler all didn't lose in the first round, so no.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board