Should we get rid of the First Four?

The home for Big East hoops

Should we get rid of the First Four?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes : 22

Re: Should we get rid of the First Four?

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:15 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Without it, maybe UCLA and Texas would've been left out and Dayton/BYU would've taken their places.

More likely, UCLA and Texas would have been selected for the NCAA Tournament, with RPI # 32 Dayton and RPI # 36 BYU being awarded No. 1 seeds in the NIT.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:27 pm

murphy wrote:
I think UD would argue that they have an adtangage [disadvantage?]. Played VCU to last possession at 1630 on 3/15, then have play in game at 9pm on 3/18, and then if they win that one have to travel to play Providence at 9pm on 3/20. Top it off they only have
6 scholorship players (plus one walk on convert) and no player over 6'6". Nice treat for a 26 win team.

I'm guessing you meant to say "disadvantage".
But this is the trade-off:
Dayton plays at home against an opponent from 2000 miles away.
Then they "travel" 10 minutes away for possibly 2 games.
It's almost as bad as the annual Duke-UNC "neutral court" NCAA games in Greensboro.

As a Friar fan, I would love to play Boise at the Dunk, then play Dayton and Oklahoma at Mohegan Sun or Worcester or Boston. Auto Sweet 16.

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
. . . but Dayton is a home team against Boise State.

Most astonishingly, you are incorrect.

In each NCAA Tournament game, the better-seeded team is designated as the 'home' team, and the poorer-seeded team is designated as the 'visiting' team - regardless of the geographic location of the game.

45. Boise State
46. Dayton

So, the Flyers will be playing an 'away' game at UD Arena (where they are 16-0 this season) and wearing their 'visiting team' uniforms.

Boise State will be designated as the 'home' team at UD Arena and wearing their 'home team' uniforms.

See my comments above. I can tell if you're joking about Dayton not being a "home" team except semantics-wise. I apologize if I've screwed up.
Providence
billyjack

Postby XtoDC » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:37 pm

I would like to see it shuffled around a little bit so the last 4 automatic qualifiers play against the last 4 at large teams for the opportunity to play against a 6 seed. It would give the little guy less of a chance to pick up a win as opposed to now, but do they really care about beating another low major only to get slaughtered by Kentucky? This route actually gives the team a chance to make a mini run if things break correctly and prove that they really belong in the field. I would have a pretty high interest in all 4 games if this was the set up, while right now I have almost zero interest in two of them. I doubt it would happen but it would be pretty neat.
XtoDC

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
Without it, maybe UCLA and Texas would've been left out and Dayton/BYU would've taken their places.

More likely, UCLA and Texas would have been selected for the NCAA Tournament, with RPI # 32 Dayton and RPI # 36 BYU being awarded No. 1 seeds in the NIT.

Maybe, but my point was that with the first four they can point and say "see, we let the mid majors in" whereas without it there would be no excusing having UCLA in the tourney over Temple or Dayton.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 pm

The more I think about it it's really the bubble and 6 seeds that get screwed. What they need to do is make it 4 16 v 16 games. This will free up seeds for the deserving bubble teams. We need to remember the 16 seeds are the literal leeches on the D1.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hoopfan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The more I think about it it's really the bubble and 6 seeds that get screwed. What they need to do is make it 4 16 v 16 games. This will free up seeds for the deserving bubble teams. We need to remember the 16 seeds are the literal leeches on the D1.

I would disagree and say make the last 8 bubble teams play. Dont want to be in The PIG...win your conference or have a better record/rpi/SOS/whatever is important that year
Hoopfan

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Hoopfan wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:The more I think about it it's really the bubble and 6 seeds that get screwed. What they need to do is make it 4 16 v 16 games. This will free up seeds for the deserving bubble teams. We need to remember the 16 seeds are the literal leeches on the D1.

I would disagree and say make the last 8 bubble teams play. Dont want to be in The PIG...win your conference or have a better record/rpi/SOS/whatever is important that year

1) you are forgetting that 6 seeda get shady by not knowing they will play
2) The best 68 do not play in tourney, the AQ needs to be cut down a bit, it let's bottom feeder leagues keep out goodles teams
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Nice comeback win by Ole Miss over BYU. Play Xavier next.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Hoopfan wrote:

1) you are forgetting that 6 seeda get shady by not knowing they will play
2) The best 68 do not play in tourney, the AQ needs to be cut down a bit, it let's bottom feeder leagues keep out goodles teams

The AQ is never going to go away. NEVER. What I do think happens is the P5 will make it where the PIG is 4 16 vs 16 games, which does improve things a bit.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:46 am

stever20 wrote:The AQ is never going to go away. NEVER. What I do think happens is the P5 will make it where the PIG is 4 16 vs 16 games, which does improve things a bit.

I didn't say get rid of it, just give it less weight somehow. And on second that, the easiest way would be to relegate the bottom conferences to play-in games. There are 33 D1 conferences. I haven't done the research, but I would guess that the bottom 10 or so have never gotten past the 1st round.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board