Hey Xavier fans....

The home for Big East hoops

Hey Xavier fans....

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Sort of a down year for you. Finish 6th in your conference, some bad losses.

Yet you land a 6 seed?

Yup. Welcome to the big time, X. And we are happy to have you on board!!!
TheBall

Hey Xavier fans....

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hey Xavier fans....

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:23 pm

I was literally about to make a similar thread on the Xavier board. We finish .500 in conference, no big OOC wins (apart from UC). A team with mostly underclassmen and we still get a 6 seed. Glad to be in the Big East!
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Xudash » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:30 pm

TheBall wrote:Sort of a down year for you. Finish 6th in your conference, some bad losses.

Yet you land a 6 seed?

Yup. Welcome to the big time, X. And we are happy to have you on board!!!

Love this conference. We believe that we already firmly enjoyed a strong national reputation in the years leading up to this BE relationship, but conference affiliation was the last missing piece of our overall program puzzle. Just look at where members of the A10 sit tonight: 3 bids with UD literally the last team in. Providence is going to beat them like a drum, assuming they beat Boise State in what will be a home game for UD (terrible outcome for BSU).

Overall, Nova's 1-Seed, the Hoyas wrapping up a 4-Seed, and our collective 6 invites must drive people like Gotlieb and Bilas mad.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Glad to have Xavier!!!

for the c7, it was so nice to have3 programs that fit so perfectly, institutionally and competitively, with the conference. Helped the entire puzzle come together.

Such great fits
TheBall

Postby XU85 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks Ball!

It's been an up and down year as an X fan, and it's nice to be on an up in March. To think that X went from a Bubble team (worried about letting down our new friends by missing the dance) to winning a couple of Big East tournament games, getting spanked by Nova to a 6th seed is amazing. Then to contrast this with our good friends up north (Dayton Flyers), who seemed to be in a similar position a couple of weeks ago, who made it to the finals of the A-10, and are relegated to the play-in game (For the records, I am of the opinion UD got screwed).

Let's make some noise!
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:11 am

XU85 wrote:Thanks Ball!

It's been an up and down year as an X fan, and it's nice to be on an up in March. To think that X went from a Bubble team (worried about letting down our new friends by missing the dance) to winning a couple of Big East tournament games, getting spanked by Nova to a 6th seed is amazing. Then to contrast this with our good friends up north (Dayton Flyers), who seemed to be in a similar position a couple of weeks ago, who made it to the finals of the A-10, and are relegated to the play-in game (For the records, I am of the opinion UD got screwed).

Let's make some noise!

College basketball got screwed by the precedence that Dayton as a play-in game would mean. But as for Dayton themselves, it is somewhat a blessing in disguise. They will have the first home game in the history of the tournament (I believe). And if they win they get to play 70 miles away in Columbus.

Edit: My first sentence isn't mean as a slight against Dayton getting a home game but rather that the NCAA had them as the last team in which they clearly were better than.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby novahoops11 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:19 am

DudeAnon wrote:They will have the first home game in the history of the tournament (I believe). And if they win they get to play 70 miles away in Columbus.

Nova played Dayton on their court in the first round in 1985.
novahoops11

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:44 am

teams used to be able to have home games in the tourney- that stopped in the late 80's I think it was.
stever20

Postby EMT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:50 am

PC played UAB on their home court in '87.

I forget what year the NCAA made that change.
EMT

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:54 am

EMT wrote:PC played UAB on their home court in '87.

I forget what year the NCAA made that change.

after that year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NCAA_ ... Tournament
This was also the last tournament in which teams were allowed to have home court advantage: Syracuse (2E), DePaul (3MW), Arizona (10W) and UAB (11SE) all opened the tournament playing on their home courts. The 1987 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament was also the first tournament to use the Three-Point Shot.
stever20

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board