St. John's suspends Chris Obekpa for 2 weeks

The home for Big East hoops

Re: St. John's suspends Chris Obekpa for 2 weeks

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:23 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:
James wrote:As Lavinwood put it on twitter

"We're not allowed nice things"

Perhaps we fall to a 10 seed and avoid the likes of Kentucky in round two - that's the only positive spin I can put on this.

James, we just have a f'd up program, no we are not allowed to enjoy selection sunday. It's like: Yeah SJU are you really happy that you back in ncaa tourny? Well don't be hahaha, obekpa is suspended, so fu hahaha.

It's just another slap to the face. Actually when I found out, I just laughed, I can't get pissed off anymore with these guys. Guess I'm to used to expecting bs that comes with being an SJU fan.

Villanova, always does it with class. Hoprfully one days SJU turns out like them one day, I could only f'ing wish.

You don't think this was a sign of a class act? 99% of coaches wouldn't have done this, it takes integrity and balls to do this. Can't dog a man for doing the right thing.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:32 pm

What a dumbass....as someone else noted, hopefully this will get them a 10 seed or so to avoid the 8/9 game.
Jet915

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:35 pm

Dude, let's not give Lavin too much credit. I am not saying he is a bad guy but he spends a lot of time enjoying NYC's finer restaurants and late night cigar bars when he could be out recruiting or making sure his players aren't F'ing around.

Also, coming forward about this was not Lavin's decision, trust me on that. It's not like your boy Steve is in these kids dorm rooms conducting random tests himself. Again, I know he isn't a bad guy, but lets not make him into a Saint either.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Jet915 wrote:What a dumbass....as someone else noted, hopefully this will get them a 10 seed or so to avoid the 8/9 game.

The danger thing will be for instance with Lunardi- they were a 9 seed. Let's assume for discussions sake the lowest of the 9's(the other 9's were Ohio St, Dayton, and Oklahoma St- so it's possible). There are 4 10's at large(Purdue, Davidson, BYU, and Georgia). There are 2 11's at large before the 4 PIG teams. So only 6 teams between St John's being a 9 seed and being in Dayton. That's awfully close(and would be only 5 if UConn came back to win here).
stever20

Postby HoosierPal » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:46 pm

NJRedman wrote:
REDMEN1415 wrote:James, we just have a f'd up program, no we are not allowed to enjoy selection sunday. It's like: Yeah SJU are you really happy that you back in ncaa tourny? Well don't be hahaha, obekpa is suspended, so fu hahaha.

It's just another slap to the face. Actually when I found out, I just laughed, I can't get pissed off anymore with these guys. Guess I'm to used to expecting bs that comes with being an SJU fan.

Villanova, always does it with class. Hoprfully one days SJU turns out like them one day, I could only f'ing wish.

You don't think this was a sign of a class act? 99% of coaches wouldn't have done this, it takes integrity and balls to do this. Can't dog a man for doing the right thing.

You need to know the transgression before you can judge the punishment.
HoosierPal

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 pm

This sucks
TheBall

Postby RedStormHoops » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 pm

This dude has

1. Refused to go into a huge game against providence in the BET last year
2. Elbowed a butler player in what was a dirty and disgusting move
3. Failed a drug test a week before the tournament, oh btw our first tournament in 5 years

Good riddance.

After we get smashed in the first round I am a Nova/PC/Butler/Gtown/X fan. Don't let me down fellas
RedStormHoops

Postby redmen9194 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 pm

We can win games without him. We have before. Lavin has not hesitated to suspend players when needed. He booted Harrison for the season when we were an NCAA bubble team two years ago as well. He does it the right way and that's a good thing. We are going dancing, we'll let everything else take care of itself.
redmen9194

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Hopefully they rally around this and surprise
TheBall

Postby Steve Lavin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:53 pm

1. The first thing I did was do a double take to make sure I wasn't having a nightmare. Then once I realized it was for real, I just had to laugh as another SJU fan just said. When the program you love and support with so much passion just constantly can't get out of their own way and bad luck becomes the norm, you just laugh.

2. If we ever win games in the BET and/or win in the NCAA's with all our players ready to go and zero drama, the apocalypse is most definitely near.

3. Lavin's time here is over. This was the last straw. No it's not his fault directly, but where does the team climate come from? It starts up top. We would never see a coach K, Jay Wright, etc. type of coach have this happen to their teams. The Lavin era has meant nonstop drama, nonstop decommitments/ineligible commitments, zero performance in BET, zero performance in NCAA's, and after starting out as a great recruiter Lavin is completely screwed now. It's like he woke up and forgot how to recruit for the past few years. Fire Lavin, sign Bobby Hurley. Pay him a crap load of money and make it worth his while.

4. Been watching lots of NCAA Tourney shows and they all seem to have one thing in common: they complain about the G'Town seed, they complain about the Xavier seed, they think SJU is an automatic loss, they think Nova is overrated, they said Butler has not faced real athletic teams (they swept SJU a very athletic team), etc. If anyone thought some of us were nuts for sensing anti-Big East bias in the mainstream sports media, there should be no doubt left after tonight. The Big East was expected to fall off the face of the earth and a documentary was made by ESPN that made it seem like a eulogy. Well, we proved everyone wrong and got 6 (60%) of the teams in. 6 out of freaking 10 while doing great out of conference. In a normal, objective world where bias didn't exist, there would be a 15 minute segment about how the Big East never really left. I haven't heard any analysts say "Hey, we have to give them credit, they were not expected to be this good after all those other schools left". Only one analyst on CBS fought back for us and said "I don't think you can question the Big East getting 6 in…they all were solidly in and all deserve it". This was after another analyst said "The committee probably could have trimmed some tourney teams off the Big East". I was expecting them to all be honest and say "Wow, the Big East is still a premier conference and has lots of quality teams". But nope. They still act as if the schools with football and 40,000 students are automatically superior.

5. It's like the beginning of the season again. I want my Johnnies to win but that is near impossible without Obekpa. SDSU fans must be licking their chops. This is exactly the type of break SJU would never catch i.e. if SDSU had a top player suspended on selection sunday out for the game. Anyway, I'm all-out for the Big East and consider the other Big East teams as our brothers. Best of luck to everyone. We need to get a few teams in the Sweet 16 if we are to really shut up the talking heads IMO.
Steve Lavin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board