2015 BE Tourney - Friday Nite Semis - VU-PC, GU-XU...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2015 BE Tourney - Friday Nite Semis - VU-PC, GU-XU...

Postby BEX » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:07 am

How about dem Muskies!!! :D :D
BEX

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PorthosPA » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:28 am

That flagrant 1 on Reynolds seemed to be the fuel that lit the fire for Georgetown. I missed a few possessions after that and then it seemed to be a 10 point game in a matter of seconds. I might be biased, but I have no idea how that wasn't a double technical. Whatever the case, I find it to be sweet karmic retribution/comeuppance that Trawick was the one to make the free throw that sealed Georgetown's fate in this game. No hard feelings and I hope that Georgetown has a long run in the tournament, on the other side of the bracket from Xavier.
PorthosPA

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:56 am

If Georgetown hadn't stunk so bad for so long, they'd be playing tonight. Good to see another newbie get a chance at a BigEast title the way we did last year.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby pki1998 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:23 am

Omaha1 wrote:If Georgetown hadn't stunk so bad for so long, they'd be playing tonight. Good to see another newbie get a chance at a BigEast title the way we did last year.

We got to stop thinking of newbies and the old guard. We are the Big East! Each one of us! I'm hoping that X has played itself out of the dreaded 8-9 matchup already because I don't see much of a chance for a W against Nova.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:03 am

billyjack wrote:I don't like focusing on that one call. Everyone knows it was questionable, but it was a fantastic game. ESPN is probably trying to de-legitimize Villanova's win and a perfectly played game by both teams. VU led the entire game and earned a great win. They definitely don't need to apologize.

You're a better man than I am, Billy Jack. While I would prefer not to focus on one call, I can't help but do so in this case because it decided the game.

There was nothing questionable about that call. It was flat out wrong. There was no foul. Period. Bad call. Awful call. The ref blew it. It's simply not a call to make in that situation. And he blew it with the game on the line. That was inexcusable. The game should have gone to OT so that the kids could decide the outcome.

The fact that it was a fantastic game makes it all the harder to swallow. I couldn't watch any more basketball last night after that game. It's the next morning and I'm still upset about it. Both teams played a great game on tired legs. Neither one folded when they could have. The game was a classic until the last 3 seconds.

Thanks for listening while I got that off my chest. :cry:
Bill Marsh

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:23 am

Interesting comments from Donnie Marshall after the game, "Every year there is a great game in the BE Tournament and that call may have robbed us of that game this year"

Also, they both picked X to win tonight.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby chopper » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:40 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
billyjack wrote:I don't like focusing on that one call. Everyone knows it was questionable, but it was a fantastic game. ESPN is probably trying to de-legitimize Villanova's win and a perfectly played game by both teams. VU led the entire game and earned a great win. They definitely don't need to apologize.

There was nothing questionable about that call. It was flat out wrong. There was no foul. Period. Bad call. Awful call. The ref blew it. It's simply not a call to make in that situation. And he blew it with the game on the line. That was inexcusable. The game should have gone to OT so that the kids could decide the outcome.

The fact that it was a fantastic game makes it all the harder to swallow. I couldn't watch any more basketball last night after that game. It's the next morning and I'm still upset about it. Both teams played a great game on tired legs. Neither one folded when they could have. The game was a classic until the last 3 seconds.

Thanks for listening while I got that off my chest. :cry:

I feel your pain, but at full speed it's easy to see why the ref called a foul, as it looked like a lot of body...but if the foul wasn't called, since Bentil left his man (Ochefu), Nova had a wide open putback for the same two points. I hope Providence makes a deep run next week...love their coach and team.
chopper

Postby EMT » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:51 pm

The fact that all the players stopped at the whistle makes it impossible to know who would get the rebound. Henton was the closest Friar and one of the best defensive rebounders in the league.
EMT

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:27 pm

EMT wrote:The fact that all the players stopped at the whistle makes it impossible to know who would get the rebound. Henton was the closest Friar and one of the best defensive rebounders in the league.

Not sure what you saw but I saw Ochefu, who is 6'11" BTW, in front of Henton, who is 6'4" BTW, with the ball falling softly off the back side of the rim. As good as you think Henton is at rebounding, Ochefu is better and he had position, and he is much, much taller. I DVR'd it so I watched it several times. Do you honestly think that Henton would have gotten that rebound or stopped Ochefu from that close in? If anything that call might have been a blessing as it still gave Henton time to get off the last 3. DO could have scored with 0.5 sec's left, leaving no chance for a last sec 3 attempt.

Look it was a close game and the natural reaction is to look at a single call at the end and say that the specific single event was more important than the other 39 mins and 55 seconds. It wasn't. And it also wasn't like PC was in complete control of that game and the refs just starting handing them fouls. Nova led the entire game and even if it were to go to overtime there is absolutely no guarantee that PC wins that game. So enough with the "refs gave the game to Nova." Let's not forget it was also the refs that swallowed the whistle while Hart was getting mugged seconds before on the inbounds play, that let you guys tie it. Or the ticks-tack fouls against Hilliard that gave several free throws. Refs are refs. It's all subjective.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:23 pm

Gumby! :x

The problem with your analysis is that Villanova didn't have the lead after 39 minutes, 55 seconds. So, no one's ignoring the rest of the game.

And stop with the refs swallowing the whistle on fouls you think should have been called against Providence. That's irrelevant because it's part of the game and a team still has the opportunity to so something about it. I can give you an equal list of fouls that should have been called against Villanova. I'm not complaining about any of them.

There's been an unwritten rule forever that the refs shouldn't decide the game in the closing seconds. Not that they should ignore a mugging, but that they shouldn't be injecting themselves into borderline calls. This wasn't even borderline. There was no foul. There's no defending that call.

If your point is that Villanova would have won the game anyway, you don't know that. I'd like to have found out. I've watched a lot of basketball in the past few days. There have been any number of chippies missed, balls turned over, balls dropped, etc. if Ochefu had grabbed the rebound and scored, I would have been disappointed, but I would have accepted it. I would have tipped my hat to the Wildcats and would have said "the better team won." Unfortunately we never got the chance to see who was the better team on this night.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board