Div. I Coaches: Sacked and on the Hot Seat

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:05 am

Sacked: Howard Moore, 5 years at Illinois-Chicago (this season: 10-24, 4-12 Horizon League / RPI # 296)
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ward-moore

Hot Seat: Brian Gregory, 4 years at Georgia Tech (this season: 12-19, 3-15 ACC / RPI # 143)
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/03 ... -and-luck/

Hot Seat: Paul Hewitt, 4 years at George Mason (this season: 8-21, 4-14 A10 / RPI # 214)

Hot Seat: Tom Pecora, 5 years at Fordham (this season: 8-20, 4-14 A10 / RPI # 243)

Hot Seat: Jim Crews, 3 years at Saint Louis (this season: 10-20, 3-15 A10 / RPI # 259)
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Div. I Coaches: Sacked and on the Hot Seat

Postby TheBasketballOpinion » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:36 pm

Is Jim Crews actually on the hot seat? With the amount of talent that they lost it should be no surprise that they sucked this year.
Georgetown
TheBasketballOpinion

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:40 pm

TheBasketballOpinion wrote:Is Jim Crews actually on the hot seat? With the amount of talent that they lost it should be no surprise that they sucked this year.

I'd kind of think with his prior history the answer could be yes. Prior to SLU he had 9 straight losing seasons as a coach.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Jim Crews shouldn't be on the hot seat. He's in his second full year as head coach, lost 5 seniors from last years team, and his most talented players were freshmen.
If he is on the hot seat or is fired, then the athletic department at SLU doesn't have a clue and should be sent packing as well.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby MUPanther » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 pm

Jim Crews shouldn't been hired.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby R Jay » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:02 pm

MUPanther wrote:Jim Crews shouldn't been hired.

Why? Winning at Army and Evansville aren't easy tasks. He actually got Evansville to the NCAA Tournament 4 times. He took over for Majerus and did well, winning the A-10 Regular Season twice, A-10 Tournament once, and getting to the Round of 32 twice. He definitely deserves at least one more year at SLU.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:59 pm

R Jay wrote:
He definitely deserves at least one more year at SLU.

I respectfully disagree, but concede that he may get another season at SLU if he's lucky.

Jim Crews did an outstanding job coaching the players recruited and trained by Rick Majerus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crews

Saint Louis Billikens (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2012–present)
2012–13 ... Saint Louis ... 28–7 ... 13–3 ... 1st NCAA Third Round
2013–14 ... Saint Louis ... 27–7 ... 13–3 ... 1st NCAA Third Round
2014–15 ... Saint Louis ... 11–20 .. 3–15

... but not so good of a job with the players he recruited and trained.

Rumor has it that the Billikens' big money donors will have a significant input into the Jim Crews decision - in particularl, the opinion of Dr. Richard Chaifetz.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby HoosierPal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Jim Crews is not on the Hot Seat. Two time A-10 COY, he will have another year or two to revive the program.

Lennox Forrester, the coach at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, was fired after eight seasons with the program.
HoosierPal

Postby R Jay » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:02 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
R Jay wrote:
He definitely deserves at least one more year at SLU.

I respectfully disagree, but concede that he may get another season at SLU if he's lucky.

Jim Crews did an outstanding job coaching the players recruited and trained by Rick Majerus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crews

Saint Louis Billikens (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2012–present)
2012–13 ... Saint Louis ... 28–7 ... 13–3 ... 1st NCAA Third Round
2013–14 ... Saint Louis ... 27–7 ... 13–3 ... 1st NCAA Third Round
2014–15 ... Saint Louis ... 11–20 .. 3–15

... but not so good of a job with the players he recruited and trained.

Rumor has it that the Billikens' big money donors will have a significant input into the Jim Crews decision - in particularl, the opinion of Dr. Richard Chaifetz.

Yes, 9 of the 13 scholarship players are his, but that means that 9 are freshmen or sophomores - young team, eh?
Crews is clearly rebuilding the program. It seems a little early to consider him a failure, particularly only one season removed from the Round of 32.
Remember that when you fire a coach, you start re-building as many players are "encouraged" to leave so the new coach can start to make his imprint on the team. That would mean SLU would have to rebuild twice.
R Jay

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Sacked: David Carter, 6 years at Nevada (this season: 9-22, 5-13 Mountain West / RPI # 301)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ss-to-unlv
Fieldhouse Flyer

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board