Report: C7 breaking away now

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: C7 breaking away now

Postby podcast411 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:47 am

I am a Dayton alum - I don't like Mack - but not as a coach - just as the guy that as an evansville player did that cheap inbounds play. (We tend not to let things go) - plus he had the audacity to marry a Dayton Alum. That said - What he has done this year is amazing and you should be grateful to have him for a coach - you guys should suck this year given all the turmoil over the past 12 months.

I hope you come to like him as your coach - because now in the new Big East - X is no longer a stepping stone - it is the end game and Mack will likely be your coach for the next 25 to 30 years.
podcast411

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby yorost » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

Unless you're one of a select few schools you are a potential stepping stone for a coach. Marquette is still a stepping stone program in the Big East, Crean might as well be proof of that. He built us back up, the program was his and he was loved by the fans. Nope, still left. Unless we net 2-3 championships in the next 20 years we'll stay in that position. It's not so bad, it's just the way things work. Most coaches sound loyal, and you hope that they are, but it's hard to really know what could draw some of them away.

In a way, it's flattering that Indiana targeted our coach, as we can't be too far down the ladder. :lol:
yorost

Postby flyerlax06 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm

yorost wrote:Unless you're one of a select few schools you are a potential stepping stone for a coach. Marquette is still a stepping stone program in the Big East, Crean might as well be proof of that. He built us back up, the program was his and he was loved by the fans. Nope, still left. Unless we net 2-3 championships in the next 20 years we'll stay in that position. It's not so bad, it's just the way things work. Most coaches sound loyal, and you hope that they are, but it's hard to really know what could draw some of them away.

In a way, it's flattering that Indiana targeted our coach, as we can't be too far down the ladder. :lol:

Do you have any concerns about Buzz leaving for a Southern job? Say if Texas opened up with Barnes on the hot seat?

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby yorost » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Well, I'm not worrying about it, but seeing as I don't know Buzz I can't say whether he sees Marquette as a long term option or not. I know there is speculation about Texas out there, but for now, that's all it is.

I'll be extremely disappointed if he leaves, but I'm not going to get upset over it. After Crean left, which I did get upset over, I just accepted that it happens. I'm grateful for both Crean and Williams, but they have a right to do what they feel is best for themselves, You just hope they (well, Williams) feels Marquette is right at the price we can pay.
yorost

Postby flyerlax06 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm

yorost wrote:Well, I'm not worrying about it, but seeing as I don't know Buzz I can't say whether he sees Marquette as a long term option or not. I know there is speculation about Texas out there, but for now, that's all it is.

I'll be extremely disappointed if he leaves, but I'm not going to get upset over it. After Crean left, which I did get upset over, I just accepted that it happens. I'm grateful for both Crean and Williams, but they have a right to do what they feel is best for themselves, You just hope they (well, Williams) feels Marquette is right at the price we can pay.

Providence has historically been a stepping stone job. Pitino back to the Knicks as the HC this time. Barnes to Clemson. Gillen to UVA. Keno Davis to Central Michigan. :D

Cooley seems like he will be here for awhile but you really never know.

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby ljay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Tweet tonight from SI's Thamel:

Catholic 7 update: Don't expect an official announcement tomorrow at Fox Upfront. Expect something formal within a week.
ljay

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Thamel also just tweeted:

The number of C7 teams for next season -- 9, 10 or 12 -- still hasn't been decided. Creighton still percieved leader for No. 10.
Jet915

Postby SixTwentySix » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Jet915 wrote:Thamel also just tweeted:

The number of C7 teams for next season -- 9, 10 or 12 -- still hasn't been decided. Creighton still percieved leader for No. 10.

9 = Xavier, Butler
10 = Creighton
12 = Saint Louis, Richmond

In my opinion of course. But I can see 10 happening for the first season.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby BostonFriar11 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 pm

I keep going back to AJerseyGuy, who has had amazing insight into the new conference. He's calling on Wednesday to be the day most likely.

However, there could be some PR work going on here. Why should the New BE reveal itself now and let it be overshadowed by the tourney? Why not make the big announcement during March Madness and let it be the topic of discussion for every pundit and analyst covering college basketball. Would be a huge coming out party for our conference. Not saying I would like this to be the way it happens (I'd rather have it done and over with), but it would make sense from a business and marketing standpoint.
Providence 2011 - Long Live Huxley 299!
BostonFriar11

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:36 am

BostonFriar11 wrote:I keep going back to AJerseyGuy, who has had amazing insight into the new conference. He's calling on Wednesday to be the day most likely.

However, there could be some PR work going on here. Why should the New BE reveal itself now and let it be overshadowed by the tourney? Why not make the big announcement during March Madness and let it be the topic of discussion for every pundit and analyst covering college basketball. Would be a huge coming out party for our conference. Not saying I would like this to be the way it happens (I'd rather have it done and over with), but it would make sense from a business and marketing standpoint.

I completely agree except for the part about Jersey Guy. My Oatmeal has as much insight and Mr. Quaker did not pick Uconn and Cinn in all sports but football.
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board