Report: C7 breaking away now

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 am

Again from ajerseyguy.com , but any information is welcome at this stage of the game.
The goals for both sides are similar: move towards the future. But according to multiple sources within the Big East, the break away by the Catholic 7 group of schools could start next July and would include the Big East name.

According to sources familiar with the talks, but not authorized to speak about them, the battle for the Catholic 7 schools–Seton Hall, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Villanova, Providence, and St. John’s–is now down to a battle of money.

Big East officials are willing to make this move for 2013 –and sell the Big East name-if enough money is paid to the remaining conference schools.

Negotiations on what that $$ total is are ongoing. According to sources, the Catholic 7 group have also hired the Russell Reynolds search firm, which the conference used in finding new Big East commissioner Mike Aresco last summer
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Report: C7 breaking away now

Postby xman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am

Katz reporting that A-10 exit fee to leave this July would be $2 million. I wonder if the C7 would foot the bill?
xman

Postby Jet915 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 am

Creighton is ready and willing to pay their exit fee (50K).
Jet915

Postby Bostonspider » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 am

Richmond is ready and willing to pay their exit fee ($2M)
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby Edrick » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... good-place

--im guessing that butler, xavier, and richmond will play the 13/14 season in with the c7+ under the name 'big east'
Edrick

Postby classof29 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:41 am

xman wrote:Katz reporting that A-10 exit fee to leave this July would be $2 million. I wonder if the C7 would foot the bill?

From everything that I have heard the answer is YES.
Providence College
classof29

Postby Bluejay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 am

Once it became clear that the C7 would get more from their own TV deal than from the BE TV deal, it seemed pretty obvious that the C7 should do everything to make their break for next season. I think this happens and contend that Fox wants it to happen since they are debuting the networks this fall. It might be a major pain for the fall sports (soccer, volleyball) but there should be plenty of time for basketball. I suspect the added schools would want to be announced soon so that they can use that in the spring recruiting period as well.

I also think that the C7 will not make any announcement until after conference tourneys are over. They don't want to risk having the A10 and perhaps the MVC doing anything to keep teams from participating in post season tourneys, etc. I also think that they don't want to be even more of a distraction while the "adds" finish out their seasons.
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:09 am

classof29 wrote:
xman wrote:Katz reporting that A-10 exit fee to leave this July would be $2 million. I wonder if the C7 would foot the bill?

I hope the conference saves $2 million and opts for Creighton. :D
Bluejay

Postby yorost » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:18 am

Bluejay wrote:I also think that the C7 will not make any announcement until after conference tourneys are over. They don't want to risk having the A10 and perhaps the MVC doing anything to keep teams from participating in post season tourneys, etc. I also think that they don't want to be even more of a distraction while the "adds" finish out their seasons.

Fox Sports has a press event for selling advertisements on the channels lineup, in a week or two. If they want the BE7 included in that, they might have to push for a deal to get done and we'd hear an announcement very soon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ ... YX20130208
yorost

Postby Jet915 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:34 am

Bluejay wrote:
classof29 wrote:

I hope the conference saves $2 million and opts for Creighton. :D

Creighton's president was in DC yesterday ;)
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board