Tyler Adams

The home for Big East hoops

Tyler Adams

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:04 pm

If anyone hasn't seen yet, Georgetown senior Tyler Adams (who's been unable to play since his freshman year due to a heart condition) started today's Georgetown-Seton Hall game (Gtown's Senior Day) and the Pirates gave the Hoyas the tip and then backed off and allowed Adams to score. Great scenes overall and a tremendous show of respect.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basket ... ion-030715
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Tyler Adams

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Tyler Adams

Postby RDinNY » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:38 pm

Kudos to KW, JT3 and both teams for how that was done. Nice gesture for the young man and his father in the stands watching.
RDinNY

Postby butlerguy03 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Hall2012 wrote:If anyone hasn't seen yet, Georgetown senior Tyler Adams (who's been unable to play since his freshman year due to a heart condition) started today's Georgetown-Seton Hall game (Gtown's Senior Day) and the Pirates gave the Hoyas the tip and then backed off and allowed Adams to score. Great scenes overall and a tremendous show of respect.

Quick question. When something like this occurs, which it does quite often, does the other team generally agree to give up a "gimme" sometime in the first half? What it Seton Hall lost by 1 and they were on the bubble?
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:27 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:If anyone hasn't seen yet, Georgetown senior Tyler Adams (who's been unable to play since his freshman year due to a heart condition) started today's Georgetown-Seton Hall game (Gtown's Senior Day) and the Pirates gave the Hoyas the tip and then backed off and allowed Adams to score. Great scenes overall and a tremendous show of respect.

Quick question. When something like this occurs, which it does quite often, does the other team generally agree to give up a "gimme" sometime in the first half? What it Seton Hall lost by 1 and they were on the bubble?

I think most the time it happens right after. Most notable one to come to mind was years ago when Nykeshia Sales from UConn had torn her Achilles, and was out for the year but was 1 basket away from the school all time leader for scoring. They were playing Nova and the game basically started 2-2. (wow just looked this up on Wikipedia and this was 17 years ago now!).
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:20 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:

Kevin Willard approached JT3 before the game and offered to do just that- exchange free layups to start the game so that Adams could score, but JT3 declined. Willard then decided on his own to let Adams score anyway because he thought it was still the right thing to do. Yeah, it would've been a shame if they lost by 1 or 2 after spotting Georgetown 2 points, but that didn't happen so, although I do think Gtown should've given the free 2 points back just to start the game on even footing, it wound up not really mattering.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby RDinNY » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:20 am

The Hall got an easy layup on their first possession of the game. I assumed that the coaches had, in fact, agreed to exchange gimme layups.
RDinNY

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:12 am

RDinNY wrote:The Hall got an easy layup on their first possession of the game. I assumed that the coaches had, in fact, agreed to exchange gimme layups.

Nope, Gtown played defense (even if they weren't successful on that possession). I actually heard a lot of Gtown fans expressing disappointment that they didn't give a free basket back, but again, it doesn't really concern me. I was actually much more bothered by Trawick throwing down a dunk at the end with the shot clock off and Seton Hall backing off to let them dribble out the clock.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby RedStormHoops » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:37 am

Hall2012 wrote:
RDinNY wrote:The Hall got an easy layup on their first possession of the game. I assumed that the coaches had, in fact, agreed to exchange gimme layups.

Nope, Gtown played defense (even if they weren't successful on that possession). I actually heard a lot of Gtown fans expressing disappointment that they didn't give a free basket back, but again, it doesn't really concern me. I was actually much more bothered by Trawick throwing down a dunk at the end with the shot clock off and Seton Hall backing off to let them dribble out the clock.

Is trawick a senior? I can't wait till he's gone.
RedStormHoops

Postby RDinNY » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:10 am

Btw, Jessie Govan is gonna be a monster for Georgetown next year. Kid is big, skilled and fairly athletic. Also seems like a very coachable kid.

EDIT: i should clarify. He will be at G'town next year and will develop into a monster. Not suggesting he will be Ewing as a freshman.
RDinNY

Postby BEhomer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:29 pm

I have no problem jt3 declining willard's offer.

it was a game that meant something for gtown and also a game to prepare for the BET and the dance. get the kids in the right mindset.
BEhomer

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board