is Seton Hall fixable?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: is Seton Hall fixable?

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:24 am

Seton Hall probably finished about where they should. Too young and the coach wasn't good enough to pull it together. I still haven't read a credible report about lockerroom issues, just a bunch of speculation, so who knows until someone spills after the season. Sina was not a good player (poor defender, turned the ball over too much), so I think his unhappiness is as much a reflection of his own play as anything else.

If Willard is in command enough to get everyone to return next ear, then I'd expect a big step forward.
Wizard of Westroads

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:31 am

TheBall wrote:There is a lot of displeasure being voiced about the coach and the state of the program, but is it really crisis mode yet?

They were cruising coming into january, but they were a little ahead of schedule at that point. Next year was the season they were more likely to compete. Freshmen don't usually come in and carry a team to the dance, especially not the ones shu has (ie, a bunch of very solid freshmen, but only 1 mcd's all American and whitehead was never a serious one and done consideration).

They don't look like a "bad" team when I watch them. They had a few lack luster efforts this year during that slump, and there is apparently something going on with the chemistry. But how toxic is it? Can it be saved?

They have pretty much everyone returning. Two months ago I would have told you that seton hall is the easy pick for next year's pre-season big east favorite.

The comparison I would make is jay wright's 3rd season (2004). He had that stacked recruiting class with foye and ray, but in 2004 they still weren't ready to compete at a tournament level. Some of the know it all fans were calling for jay's head saying that he was nothing without speedy Claxton, etc. That team finished the conference regular season out 3-9.

They started to gel a bit during the big east tourney and then the nit. But even 2004-2005 they started like 9-4 and it wasn't until the kansas game in january that they started to look like a tournament team.

Is the locker room past the point of no return at seton hall? Or is this something that they can recover from?

I would prefer to see them give Willard a shot to fix it. I generally am critical of letting bad coaches stay too long (tim welsh, norm roberts), but I see next year as sort of the culmination of his efforts. He either gets it done next year or not. I am not sure giving willard another year will set shu back that much, so why not?

Also as an outsider, Ball, I agree with your analysis.

When everyone said they were a team in turmoil that was falling apart, all I saw when I watched their games was a team that played hard and was very competitive in games in which they weren't supposed to be. Yes, they are young and could be much stronger next year.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college ... /24708495/

another article suggesting Coach Willard is going nowhere. Thoughts?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:53 pm

robinreed wrote:i am more interested in finding out if DePaul is capable of being anything but a bottom dweller. I have seen no indication that they are improving year to year. Chicago is more important to Fox than any metro area except NYC and should be important to us.

Winning 6 conference games isn't an improvement?
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:59 pm

ouch:
JohnGasaway John Gasaway
The next time Jaren Sina flees for what seem to be mysterious reasons, I'd trust his instincts.
stever20

Postby shupirate98 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 pm

You want the short version or the long version?

Eh, I don't care about this program enough anymore to bother with the long version. So short version it is:

No, Seton Hall is not fixable.
shupirate98

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:26 pm

Gibbs says he is coming back.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:36 pm

MUPanther wrote:Gibbs says he is coming back.

That's a good sign if true. The talent is there, Willard needs to fix the chemistry.
Jet915

Postby R Jay » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Any word on Whitehead? Is he still a first round NBA Draft grade?
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:43 pm

R Jay wrote:Any word on Whitehead? Is he still a first round NBA Draft grade?

I'm sure he thinks he is :lol: .
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board