Tom Crean's Hot Seat

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tom Crean's Hot Seat

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:00 am

marquette wrote:http://www.tomcreanbuyout.com/

This is pretty funny. They need a donation button.

And to DudeA, I agree, what do you expect the AD would say with the season still ongoing? He's not going to throw his coach under the bus with the Big 10 and hopeful NCAA tourney games still to be played.
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:41 am

Tom Crean did some really wonderful things at Marquette. I have always really respected him for his accomplishments and achievements with Wade, Matthews, James, McNeal, Hayward, among countless others. If I was an IU fan, the two most telling stats that would push me to want a different coach would be the following:

Tom Crean is currently 4-8 against Purdue and 4-7 against Northwestern (in 7 seasons). Indiana cannot lose to either Purdue or Northwestern. Period. It would be similar to Kentucky losing regularly to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. Blue bloods need to take care of business against lower conference opponents, year-in and year-out.

In NCAA Tournament history, only one team has failed to advance past the Sweet 16 when that team has two or more top-4 NBA Draft Picks. That would be the 2012-2013 Indiana Hoosiers, with Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller. They had an unbelievably talented team, but they were "surprised" by the 2-3 zone of Syracuse. Preparation is key to success, and the fact such a talented team was unprepared for such a big game spoke volumes.

Crean has a massive buyout. I don't think he will be going anywhere after this season. Maybe after next. Stevens would be top target, but I don't think he will leave Boston so soon. IMHO, Bryce Drew should be considered. He's done some great things at VALPO. Archie, Shaka, Marshall and Hurley will be the flavors of the year for coaching changes as well.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby butlerguy03 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:58 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Tom Crean is currently 4-8 against Purdue and 4-7 against Northwestern (in 7 seasons). Indiana cannot lose to either Purdue or Northwestern. Period. It would be similar to Kentucky losing regularly to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. Blue bloods need to take care of business against lower conference opponents, year-in and year-out.

Losing to Purdue is a big deal to IU fans, but not because they are a bad program. They have been, consistently, a top half Big Ten program in the history of the conference. IU's decline has coincided with Notre Dame and Butler both becoming high-level programs again.

If you can't attract the best in-state talent in what is probably the best high school basketball state in the nation (per capita), you're going to have problems at IU. If Stevens would have stayed at Butler, Lyles & Blueitt probably would have been Bulldogs - that's all you need to know about how far the Hoosiers have fallen in-state. 10-15 years ago those guys would have been wearing those god-awful candy-stripes.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:00 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Tom Crean did some really wonderful things at Marquette. I have always really respected him for his accomplishments and achievements with Wade, Matthews, James, McNeal, Hayward, among countless others. If I was an IU fan, the two most telling stats that would push me to want a different coach would be the following:

Tom Crean is currently 4-8 against Purdue and 4-7 against Northwestern (in 7 seasons). Indiana cannot lose to either Purdue or Northwestern. Period. It would be similar to Kentucky losing regularly to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. Blue bloods need to take care of business against lower conference opponents, year-in and year-out.

In NCAA Tournament history, only one team has failed to advance past the Sweet 16 when that team has two or more top-4 NBA Draft Picks. That would be the 2012-2013 Indiana Hoosiers, with Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller. They had an unbelievably talented team, but they were "surprised" by the 2-3 zone of Syracuse. Preparation is key to success, and the fact such a talented team was unprepared for such a big game spoke volumes.

Crean has a massive buyout. I don't think he will be going anywhere after this season. Maybe after next. Stevens would be top target, but I don't think he will leave Boston so soon. IMHO, Bryce Drew should be considered. He's done some great things at VALPO. Archie, Shaka, Marshall and Hurley will be the flavors of the year for coaching changes as well.

I wouldn't put Purdue on the same basis as Mississippi St or Vandy. Purdue has a very good history- been to the tourney now 25 of the last 38 years. Miss St and Vandy been to the tourney together 23 times all time. Purdue isn't a lower conference opponent by any stretch.

Now the rivalry aspect of things- that's a different story. That'd be more like losing to Tennessee like that for Kentucky I think.
stever20

Postby TheBall » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Would tom Crean be a good fit at DePaul? Why not?
TheBall

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:31 am

TheBall wrote:Would tom Crean be a good fit at DePaul? Why not?

Not happening. Indiana isn't getting rid of Crean after this year. More importantly, JLP isn't getting rid of Oliver Purnell either. He will be coach for two more years, minimum. No way does DePaul fire him before the last year of his contract. Crean would be amazing at DePaul. They need a PR/Marketing coach that gets people excited and invested in the program again. Purnell certainly is not that, or a master recruiter, or an x's/o's expert. However, he did last win an NCAA Tournament game (as an assistant at Maryland) during the Reagan administration - so there's that.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby DemonLS » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:54 am

Golden Warrior,

Don't be so sure that DePaul will not terminate Purnell. IMO....the only way he stays is if he lands 1-2 top recruits for this coming 2015-16 season. How likely is that going to happen?

I have many contacts around the DePaul program and everyone is NOT happy with Purnell's performance so far, including the administration. Can you blame them? My gosh....look at his record.

Purnell talks about having a deeper hole to dig out of than originally thought. However, the main hole he is talking about is relating to the "commitment" to land top quality players out of Chicago. Most care to avoid this topic but it is a "dirty playing field" in Chicago....and other places, of course. But probably worse in Chicago. Tom Izzo has made comments about Chicago area recruiting too.
DemonLS

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:03 pm

I would love for DePaul to be competitive again, but JLP has never shown an ability to get the best of the mens basketball program. Perhaps the decision gets taken out of her hands, but she has remained steadfast and consistent in showing support for Purnell. Between him, Wainwright (who was pivotal for Marquette after Buzz left), and Leitao, it can be made that she failed miserably on two of three hires. I still think DePaul will wait until after next season, at the earliest to make a change. The last thing they want is to make another poor hire in advance of the new stadium opening. If the they get a new hire to go with the new stadium, and he fails, then at least they can still lean on the new stadium to get recruits in.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Hard hitting post from The Ball. Sometimes you gotta skip the small stuff and go right for the throat.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 am

Indiana coach Tom Crean said 'you suck' to referee after loss (The Dagger - March 21, 2015)

Indiana’s season came to a disappointing end as No. 7 seed Wichita State took care of Tom Crean’s Hoosiers, a No. 10 seed, 81-76 in Omaha on Friday afternoon.

After the final buzzer sounded, Crean reportedly shared his disgust with the way the game was officiated. According to Gregg Doyel of the Indianapolis Star, Crean “walked toward one referee and told him, ‘You suck.’ "
Fieldhouse Flyer

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board