Interesting observation

The home for Big East hoops

Interesting observation

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Just thinking - for all the crap the hoops schools took from the football schools, it looks like of the core nine members of the original Big East, nova, g'town, providence and the Johnnies will be dancing while UConn, BC, Cuse, Pitt, will likely be watching them on TV.
redmen9194

Interesting observation

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Interesting observation

Postby Boyee » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Villanova University wasn't a founding member of the original Big East Conference, they joined in 1980, 1 year later due to a commitment being in the conference now known as the Atlantic 10.
University of Pittsburgh (PITT) didn't join until 3 years after the founding of the original Big East Conference in 1982.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Postby TheBall » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:35 am

Sometimes the grass isn't greener

And now that we aren't using our brand names to subsidy Carl football like we did when we made no money so that we could pay for rutgers football to suck, well, things are good!
TheBall

Postby butlerguy03 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:09 am

Boyee wrote:Villanova University wasn't a founding member of the original Big East Conference, they joined in 1980, 1 year later due to a commitment being in the conference now known as the Atlantic 10.
University of Pittsburgh (PITT) didn't join until 3 years after the founding of the original Big East Conference in 1982.

Yeah, but to those of us on the outside of Big East history (the rest of the nation). Those are original members.

That's like saying Ohio State isn't an original member of the Big Ten. Sure, they joined 16 years after the conference was founded. Would anyone know that outside of people who care too much?
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:15 am

Once-BE members and who's getting in IMO:

In:
Nova
Gtwn
SJU
PC
WVU
ND
L'ville

Bubble:
Cincy

Out:
BC
UCONN
SHU
Marq
DePaul
VT
Miami
USF
Rutgers
Cuse
Pitt

- 4/7 make it in BE
- 2/7 make it out of ACC
- 1/1 B12
- 0/1 B1G
- 1/3 AAC (maybe)

I'd say realignment is looking good for the BE.

Would personally love it if Pitt followed BC in college sports mediocrity. Never liked that program/team.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:51 am

Boyee wrote:Villanova University wasn't a founding member of the original Big East Conference, they joined in 1980, 1 year later due to a commitment being in the conference now known as the Atlantic 10.

Note I refered to the "core 9" members instead of the original members. I think when most people think of the original Big East, they think of the nine school formation of the mid 80's.
redmen9194

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:53 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Once-BE members and who's getting in IMO:

In:
Nova
Gtwn
SJU
PC
WVU
ND
L'ville

Bubble:
Cincy

Out:
BC
UCONN
SHU
Marq
DePaul
VT
Miami
USF
Rutgers
Cuse
Pitt

- 4/7 make it in BE
- 2/7 make it out of ACC
- 1/1 B12
- 0/1 B1G
- 1/3 AAC (maybe)

I'd say realignment is looking good for the BE.

Would personally love it if Pitt followed BC in college sports mediocrity. Never liked that program/team.

I really think Pitt is going to have a problem in the ACC and will never be one of the top teams in that league.
redmen9194

Postby Steve Lavin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:42 am

I'm so proud of this conference that we are getting 6 teams in (equal to the record 11 teams in the old Big East in the 16 team league). Who else could lose Pitt, Cuse, UConn, WVU, Cincy, ND, L'Ville, and still succeed right after? I'm still surprised there isn't more hype nationally about how the Big East being pronounced dead was totally false. I think they are waiting to see how we actually perform in the tourney. If we don't advance far, the media will say we are good enough to make the tourney but we are basically crap because it doesn't mean anything if you can't go deep. Since we totally crapped the bed last year in the tourney, we are due at least a few teams making runs.
Steve Lavin

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:I'm so proud of this conference that we are getting 6 teams in (equal to the record 11 teams in the old Big East in the 16 team league). Who else could lose Pitt, Cuse, UConn, WVU, Cincy, ND, L'Ville, and still succeed right after? I'm still surprised there isn't more hype nationally about how the Big East being pronounced dead was totally false. I think they are waiting to see how we actually perform in the tourney. If we don't advance far, the media will say we are good enough to make the tourney but we are basically crap because it doesn't mean anything if you can't go deep. Since we totally crapped the bed last year in the tourney, we are due at least a few teams making runs.

Let's wait until Sunday before we say we are getting 6 teams in. Xavier still has to win vs Creighton.

You need some help with percentages-
11/16= 68.75%
6/10=60%

6 teams in would be almost equal to 10/16- 62.5%. So this year no where near as good as 2011. It just isn't. Might never see a year that good again....

I think the real answer why we aren't getting more hype is because right when teams get ranked, they lose.
stever20

Postby ChelseaFriar » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:I'm so proud of this conference that we are getting 6 teams in (equal to the record 11 teams in the old Big East in the 16 team league). Who else could lose Pitt, Cuse, UConn, WVU, Cincy, ND, L'Ville, and still succeed right after? I'm still surprised there isn't more hype nationally about how the Big East being pronounced dead was totally false. I think they are waiting to see how we actually perform in the tourney. If we don't advance far, the media will say we are good enough to make the tourney but we are basically crap because it doesn't mean anything if you can't go deep. Since we totally crapped the bed last year in the tourney, we are due at least a few teams making runs.

Agree, I hope Villanova gets a 1 seed so they have a nice path to the Sweet 16.

Also hoping we see the good St. John's team. They can go on a run if they gel at the right time. Reminds me of the PC '97 team. Talented as hell (4 out of 5 players played at least 1 NBA game) but dysfunctional at times. They snuck into the dance (needed a win in the BET) and ended up in Overtime playing Arizona for a spot in the Final 4.
ChelseaFriar

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board